XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Still chasing gas odor inside 1995 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Still chasing gas odor inside 1995 XJ6

I put the car up on jack stands, started the engine and then crawled under it. I inspected it, while running, from gas tank connection to the engine compartment. Where I couldn't see the fuel lines clearly I felt by hand searching for a leak. No leak at the fuel filter, no leak at the tank. A section of feed line has been cut out by a previous owner and replaced with a piece of hose; it begins about four inches from the tank and connects to a piece of feed line about three inches from the fuel filter. I could not find a leak at either end of the hose however.

The vapor recovery line consists of a hard plastic tube that connects to the steel tube welded to the top of the fuel tank and to a steel line that runs parallel with the feed and return fuel lines. The hard plastic tube was crammed between the fuel tank and fender well and is badly kinked in four places and may be leaking. I'm going to plug the vapor recovery lines and remove the gas cap; I will drive the car and see if the gas odor is eliminated. If it is, then the problem is in the vapor recovery system; if not I am going to pull the fuel tank and begin replacing hoses and steel lines in the hope of solving the problem.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:39 AM

Continuing the search for the illusive gasoline odor. Have noticed that it takes a long time for it to appear if I keep the vents closed (duh!). But it enters the car immediately when I open the windows. Also, when pulling away from a stop light after sitting idle the odor is very strong, like it has been accumulating. Search will now focus on the engine compartment where I thought it was from the fuel tank.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:52 PM

Update: With no visible leaks (tried the tissue paper wrap on fuel line connections) I continued to suffer with fuel odor. Today I disconnected the vacuum line to the Rochester valve. Previously a trip to and from the grocery, 5 miles total, the car would exude a strong fuel odor - today no fuel odor after a 10 mile run and 30 minutes sitting in the hot sun. Would a faulty Rochester valve cause the odor?

Old 07-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes this could cause your problem, look up rochester valve and you will find plenty of info here on this forum. However, the replacement valve is cheap but some people have had trouble because the installation was done backwards, beware.