XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Struggling to Get Genuine Rotunda VCM 1 to Work IDS 118.5

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 06:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Struggling to Get Genuine Rotunda VCM 1 to Work IDS 118.5

Hi All,

My quest for a working VCM solution to do diagnostics on X300 Jags has brought me to buying a genuine used Rotunda VCM 1. I have a clone, which will power up and talk to a PC, but not talk to an X300/X308. The used genuine VCM package I got included two used genuine VCMs, one wireless card, two sets of cables and a VMM and various probes. So far I've not been able to talk to a car with either genuine VCM. One VCM seems to work better than the other. The one that supposedly works better sees all five LED indicators light up upon connecting to the PC and DLC. I see a LAN connection on my old Windows XP PRO 32 bit laptop, but no packets of data are received. I did go back this morning and play around with the setup. Briefly a successful LAN connection was formed and thousands of packets of data going two and fro, before that stopped. IDS 118.5 did briefly see the VCM, but didn't make it as far as updating the code on the VCM from Ford to Jaguar. It has not since worked like that. Only a LAN connection with no packets of data received. The other VCM lights up only two lights and will not connect to the LAN at all. The seller is adamant that everything works on a Ford.

I'm at a low ebb here as the kit was expensive. No doubt everything is genuine, but I'm concerned at least one VCM is faulty. On the other hand I'm also concerned about the network settings being wrong. I've tried the recommended IP addresses to connect to but that doesn't work. I didn't quite catch the IP address it connected to when a connection was briefly formed successfully.

This is a plea for any tips and tricks to get a genuine VCM up and running on IDS 118.5 to connect to X300 series Jaguars. In particular I'd like to know exactly what network settings people are using when the LAN connection to the VCM is working.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:31 AM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

I disabled the laptop internet connection and the USB connector is the only thing required to go to the VCM.

USB, laptop to VCM cable. VCM to OBDII cable.

I don't want my Local Area Network to access the internet for any updates. (laptop standalone system)

Old 08-08-2021, 08:51 AM

Yes, that makes sense and I have a standalone laptop running IDS. It has not been connected to the internet at all since I've installed a fresh copy of Win XP 32 bit on it.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

it should be plug and play. swap the USB to VCM cables

forget about plugging it into a car and focus on getting it flashed

Last edited by xalty; 08-08-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:48 AM

The one part I don't have in the extensive kit is a mains power adapter for the VCM. For the clone I was able to find a generic 12 Volt 1 amp power adapter but that does not fit in the genuine VCM, so I can't just power it up separately and run the VCM recovery tool right now.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:50 PM

I do not have the aux power adapter and the dealer I worked at did NOT also. (I have personally never seen one)
Just the laptop, 2 cables and the VCM is all I have ever used.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:51 PM

Found corrosion in a few places on PCBs in both VCMs. On one a leg of an IC has gone. No amount of testing has got me anywhere unfortunately so it looks like they are both duds. I'm gutted. Seemingly impossible to get a working VCM even paying big money.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:52 AM

I'm currently doing battle with PayPal, trying to get a refund for the faulty VCMs. I bought another genuine VCM a few days ago on eBay and it arrived this morning Special Delivery. Pleased to say it worked immediately with no hassle whatsoever and has been tested on a few cars successfully. What a revelation compared to the others I received, and the seller protesting I don't know what I am doing. The latest working VCM really proves that the other seller is trying to pull off a con, and I just hope I'll get compensated for it in due course. He can have his broken good back as soon as he plays by the rules and accepts a returns process. I'm very pleased with the functionality of the working VCM and it has already fixed a throttle body for me and provided important diagnostic information. I wish I had bought one years ago!

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 09:10 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Never use PayPal for any transaction you suspect you might ever file a return for. They are just not customer oriented in that fashion. Credit cards are really your best friend here.

Please make sure if there's any upside here, that you limit your PayPal transactions to smaller priced items, or items you are confident in.

Very good news confirming success with VCM and OBD1. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:09 PM
Received 195 Likes on 107 Posts

Vee, due to my own experience with a purchase of a new clone VCM ( not cheap & plenty on offer) which did not work and a subsequent claim I made through Paypal for a refund, I cannot agree with your generalized comment.
Paypal do have a specific process in place to be undertaken in these very circumstances and whilst the process may be slow and perhaps tedious, my personal outcome was very successful.

John Herbert
Peregian Springs Qld
1996 XJR

The following users liked this post:
Vee (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 06:48 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Good to know. Thank you for sharing.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Broadsword
I'm currently doing battle with PayPal, trying to get a refund for the faulty VCMs. I bought another genuine VCM a few days ago on eBay and it arrived this morning Special Delivery. Pleased to say it worked immediately with no hassle whatsoever and has been tested on a few cars successfully. What a revelation compared to the others I received, and the seller protesting I don't know what I am doing. The latest working VCM really proves that the other seller is trying to pull off a con, and I just hope I'll get compensated for it in due course. He can have his broken good back as soon as he plays by the rules and accepts a returns process. I'm very pleased with the functionality of the working VCM and it has already fixed a throttle body for me and provided important diagnostic information. I wish I had bought one years ago!
I have a question. I purchased a original vcm1 on ebay for $500. No cd . Where and how can I download the drivers? If any? . Thank you

Old 05-07-2023, 07:37 AM

There are no drivers, just the software for whatever car you need to communicate with. (Mazda,Ford,Jaguar,Land Rover,etc.)