XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Sudden shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile Sudden shutdown

Have been having a problem whith the 95 XJ6. Sometimes starting up after sitting at a red light the engine will quit for just an instant. And it feels like a sudden complete shutdown. Sometimes it will go again on its own and sometimes I need to completely stop and restart from park again. One time it did this when I was on a rather rough road driving very, very slow. That time due to being slow I had to stop and start again from park. There is no check engine light and it only does it at very slow speed or after sitting at a stop light for a time.

I'm not sure if it is a fuel starvation or electrical problem. I really need help with this one as I'm concerned about getting hit in the rear when it does this at a stop light. Have checked all battery termals and connections are good.

I thought this might have been the throttle body. That has been cleaned and didn't solve the problem.

Hope you guys are out there for me.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 AM
Received 10,511 Likes on 6,943 Posts

My experience, for what it may reveal are:

CAS (crank angle sensor).
Ignition relay in the RH under bonnet fuse housing.
Fuel pump relay loose in the socket (not common by any means).

I would go around under the bonnet, and unplug and replug items, such as the MAF sensor, TPS, cam angle sensor, CTS (coolant temp sensor), and even the CAS as cruddy terminals can be an intermittent issue.

The list may grow as people in your market come up with suggestions.

Mine was a PAIN due to "muck" entering the CAS plug, as it is mounted vertical, and has open holes allowing that muck to enter and short the connector. Mine is now "fully sealed" and no more issues. I did post that on here a little time back, so should be easy to find, I think.

The following users liked this post:
EZDriver (08-19-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
My experience, for what it may reveal are:

CAS (crank angle sensor).
Ignition relay in the RH under bonnet fuse housing.
Fuel pump relay loose in the socket (not common by any means).

I would go around under the bonnet, and unplug and replug items, such as the MAF sensor, TPS, cam angle sensor, CTS (coolant temp sensor), and even the CAS as cruddy terminals can be an intermittent issue.

The list may grow as people in your market come up with suggestions.

Mine was a PAIN due to "muck" entering the CAS plug, as it is mounted vertical, and has open holes allowing that muck to enter and short the connector. Mine is now "fully sealed" and no more issues. I did post that on here a little time back, so should be easy to find, I think.
Thanks Grant for the suggestions. You are always a big help and always respond.

Thanks again.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

EZDriver .... Nail / head.
That Grant bloke is the kind of chap you want living next door to you. The kind of bloke that could have an affair with your wife but if he fixed your Jag problem, you wouldn't mind.
As they say in OZ ..... Top bloke.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (08-24-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Had a similar issue last evening during driver training. We had accomplished parallel parking and had been at idle in park for 15-20 sec. Son shifted to Drive and the engine promptly quit. Restart was normal. My first thought was crank sensor. Some say they are only good for about 100k mi and I'm at 115k. '95 XJ6 VDP. First occurrence and it finished the training session last night and then hauled my carcas 51 mi. to work this morning without issue. I'll wait for more occurrences to start looking for a source, but had the crank sensor off a few months ago to fit XJREngineer's bracket, and connection was clean.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:27 AM
Received 10,511 Likes on 6,943 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 5tevie
That Grant bloke is the kind of chap you want living next door to you. The kind of bloke that could have an affair with your wife but if he fixed your Jag problem, you wouldn't mind.
HAHAHAHAHAHA, luv it.

The wife part would see NO MORE of me, the wife here has NO sense of humour, NONE at all, and after 27 years I have NO interest in starting all that stuff again. The first one made me choose, "the MK10 or me", I still got the MK10, mmmmm.

I am allowed to window shop all I want, but that line in the sand is very obvious, HAHA.

I am allowed as many Jaguars as I want, but any other possessions are TABOO.

Down to 4 Jaguars now, from 10, and the withdrawal symptoms are fading.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 08-24-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same happen to me awhile back. would start fine, but when pulling awhile would die on me, so parked it and drove other car, bought some cleaners and cleaned egr valve( which has about 10k on it), also for the first time i cleaned way back inside the throttle body, which i have never cleaned that far back in, just manual open the throttle and sprayed way back use a cloth, man was it BLACK!!!!!!!, put all back together, she been running beautifull.

Geno
1995 xj6
194,000 and still running

Old 08-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 5tevie
What's a Bloke?

Old 08-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Geno. I thought the same thing some time back. Did a complete off engine throttle body cleaning. Good job once I remembered to hook up the electircal connector and get rid of the fast idle. But the stalling after idle for fifteen to twenty seconds is still there. The crank sensor might be the problem. I'm going to look into getting a new one and also the new advance bracket.