XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Sunroof alighting both sides

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 12:54 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sunroof alighting both sides

Sorry for double posting I just thought that this might me easier to find for most people who also have this problem and I want to get it fixed faster.

So the problem is when you align one side according to the manual the other side is not aligned correctly. I tried removing the sunroof motor and slcm to move the mechanism on one side but it's pretty immobile.

My questing is how and with what tool should I force the mechanism into position?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xVVJGc4LbStYJEgU9

Old 10-01-2021, 10:45 PM
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

There should be nothing in the way except friction. What’s not clear to me is what you did with the small/rear interior panel that moves with the sliding mechanism. Removing it with the sunroof in the car should be very difficult unless something is broken.

I ask about that because if it’s still in the car then having the two sides out of alignment will mean that it is applying a load to each side. You might have to move the aligned side closer to the stuck side and try moving each a little at a time. If you did manage to get the small interior panel out then there should be nothing linking the two sides together and all you are fighting is friction.

Daniel

Old 10-02-2021, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by TurboWood
There should be nothing in the way except friction. What’s not clear to me is what you did with the small/rear interior panel that moves with the sliding mechanism. Removing it with the sunroof in the car should be very difficult unless something is broken.

I ask about that because if it’s still in the car then having the two sides out of alignment will mean that it is applying a load to each side. You might have to move the aligned side closer to the stuck side and try moving each a little at a time. If you did manage to get the small interior panel out then there should be nothing linking the two sides together and all you are fighting is friction.

Daniel
The rear interior panel I removed along with the drain support channels because they were broken and I was replacing them. For reinstallation how should I do it?

As for moving only one side of the mechanism it was pretty easy I was just pushing on the wrong part. Now both side are perfectly aligned so hopefully nothing will break for a while.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:03 PM

To get the interior panel back in I believe you will need to put the drain channel supports on it and then slide it in from the back. This needs to be done very carefully and the metal spring loaded arm will need to be pushed to engage it into the channel support once you get everything close enough to do so. You might want to check out my thread on some improvements I made while rebuilding the whole thing. Most notably you may want the small stainless steel parts I used to keep that spring loaded arm in place.

Out of curiosity, where did you find replacement channel supports?

Daniel

Old 10-03-2021, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by TurboWood
To get the interior panel back in I believe you will need to put the drain channel supports on it and then slide it in from the back. This needs to be done very carefully and the metal spring loaded arm will need to be pushed to engage it into the channel support once you get everything close enough to do so. You might want to check out my thread on some improvements I made while rebuilding the whole thing. Most notably you may want the small stainless steel parts I used to keep that spring loaded arm in place.

Out of curiosity, where did you find replacement channel supports?

Daniel
I 3d printed them and jammed a small piece of paper to hold the arm in place.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:05 AM

Cool, I thought about that, but was worried about it being strong enough. What material did you use?

Daniel

Old 10-03-2021, 04:01 PM

I think it was some variation of ABS plastic. Hopefully it holds up. I inserted the smaller interior panel by moving the mechanism all the way back and carefully positioning it in the drain channel.