XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Sunroof panel problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 07:03 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sunroof panel problem

Looks like the sunroof interior panel on one side became dislodged. That causes problems tilting up or sliding back. I was able to close the sunroof which was working fine just yesterday. I see the metal spring thats somewhat loose on the right side.

Is there a way to re seat it somehow? Ive looked through archives and it is still a bit unclear to me.

Many thanks.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:52 AM
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I also did a lot of digging trying to find the correct way to uninstall and reinstall that panel. Finally I learned that all you need to do to remove it is put the sunroof in tilt, and then from outside the car, take two hands and pull it straight out. Unfortunately I learned that reinstalling it is a bigger pain but I have not tired that yet. But at least now you know that if it is causing more problems for you, you can just pull it out real quick to figure out what happened to the clips and then worry about reinstalling it later.

The following users liked this post:
Genetic_Billionaire (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 09:37 AM

Thank you for swift response. So iff I pull the cover out I won’t be able to put it back in ?? That’s a problem.

Why do you think the left side of the panel has spring tension but the right aide doesn’t. I’m able to move it by hand which let me to that loose metal clip on the inside. It’s as if it came undone from it designed position.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:03 AM

I found this on the forum. Sounds like the exact problem i am having. Im just terrified that the panel wont go back in and I will be stuck with exposed sunroof. I can leave it be in closed position, but I just hate not having things work and having the sunroof open in summer is a awesome.

There is a small trick for re-installing the interior panel when the time comes.

1. on the interior of the headliner lay a piece of masking tape on each side to mark the position of the pin on the lifting lever

2. on the interior sunroof panel lay a piece of masking tape on each side to mark the position of the flange that will ride over the pins mentioned in #1

3. during install, once you have the interior panel almost forward enough to engage the two sets of pins(the reason for placing themasking tape), place your *clean* hands, palms up on both sides of the interior panel next to the pins, push up firmly to ensure flangesare above pins, and with your fingers in the little ridge that runs along the back for leverage, move forward sharply. In other words, slam into position. Being gentle does not seem to work well at all.

You can tell when both side are done properly if neither side of the interior panel droops at the back. It is a good idea to lay the panel on a clean towel on the roof during all the sliding back and forth. It is also a good idea to constantly check your hands for dirt that might mark the panel.

There are two loop springs in the interior panel that like to hang the panel during removal. Just use a small screwdriver to depress the loop to clear the obstruction.

BTW, while the sheet metal panel is out of the rails, resist the urge to power the mechanism back and forth. You may loose alignmentor jam the mechanism.

And in lieu of clean hands, one could consider masking the section of the interior panel where the hands will be placed.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:54 PM
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustbelter
I also did a lot of digging trying to find the correct way to uninstall and reinstall that panel. Finally I learned that all you need to do to remove it is put the sunroof in tilt, and then from outside the car, take two hands and pull it straight out. Unfortunately I learned that reinstalling it is a bigger pain but I have not tired that yet. But at least now you know that if it is causing more problems for you, you can just pull it out real quick to figure out what happened to the clips and then worry about reinstalling it later.
The sprung bits are going to be the issue getting it back in easy yep

Old 05-08-2020, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tbilisi79
I found this on the forum. Sounds like the exact problem i am having. Im just terrified that the panel wont go back in and I will be stuck with exposed sunroof. I can leave it be in closed position, but I just hate not having things work and having the sunroof open in summer is a awesome.

There is a small trick for re-installing the interior panel when the time comes.

1. on the interior of the headliner lay a piece of masking tape on each side to mark the position of the pin on the lifting lever

2. on the interior sunroof panel lay a piece of masking tape on each side to mark the position of the flange that will ride over the pins mentioned in #1

3. during install, once you have the interior panel almost forward enough to engage the two sets of pins(the reason for placing themasking tape), place your *clean* hands, palms up on both sides of the interior panel next to the pins, push up firmly to ensure flangesare above pins, and with your fingers in the little ridge that runs along the back for leverage, move forward sharply. In other words, slam into position. Being gentle does not seem to work well at all.

You can tell when both side are done properly if neither side of the interior panel droops at the back. It is a good idea to lay the panel on a clean towel on the roof during all the sliding back and forth. It is also a good idea to constantly check your hands for dirt that might mark the panel.

There are two loop springs in the interior panel that like to hang the panel during removal. Just use a small screwdriver to depress the loop to clear the obstruction.

BTW, while the sheet metal panel is out of the rails, resist the urge to power the mechanism back and forth. You may loose alignmentor jam the mechanism.

And in lieu of clean hands, one could consider masking the section of the interior panel where the hands will be placed.
I can test the theory out on mine as my headliner is currently out. If it works I can confirm if it does the trick or not. Might get to it this weekend if all goes according to plan

The following users liked this post:
Cafcpete (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 05:48 AM

Thank you. Try to take some pictures to figure out how the clips attach the inner panel to the sunroof.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had the forward larger panel out a few times, and as previously pointed out it is supported on both sides by pins that slot into catches on the top side of the panel. Once realized, just a matter of keeping upward pressure on the panel when reinserting.
What I don’t know - How does one remove the rear small panel?

Old 05-10-2020, 02:08 AM
Default Tested theory

Originally Posted by Tbilisi79
Thank you. Try to take some pictures to figure out how the clips attach the inner panel to the sunroof.
So check out the attached pics, took pictures with the outer roof panel off. But tested it with it bolted on. Those are the two clips you need to engage. The ones at the front are fairly simple, you can basically feel them most of the way to thier spot. The middle ones are trickier because of the spring at the back, But very simple mounting they just have to slip over the bar that sticks out. No clip per say. I'm not a fan of 'slamming' anything around on these sunroofs. Too many pieces to break that are hard to come by, unless you just made some and tested them and they worked.. Which also happened today.. If you did this with two people you would have good success. One on the inside that's pushing up the inside pannel, to align the middle catches and one outside that applies pressure to the actual moon roof to counteract the stress you are putting on the mechanisms, and that person can push the edge of the inside panel forward from the outside to get the front clips to clip on, as they are spring pinched to the mounting arm. I would suspect this is why people said to slam it, to overcome that spring pressure. That's not necessary at all. Forward pressure on the pannel from the outside would do the trick, just push the edge forward. Fairly safe straightforward thing to pull out and put in. Wouldn't be scared to do it at all, even if the headliner was in.

Front clip mechanism

Both clips engaged

​​​​​

Old 05-10-2020, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by XJR-100
I have had the forward larger panel out a few times, and as previously pointed out it is supported on both sides by pins that slot into catches on the top side of the panel. Once realized, just a matter of keeping upward pressure on the panel when reinserting.
What I don’t know - How does one remove the rear small panel?
That has to unclip from one of the plastic bits that runs in the track. Held on either side, clip quite brittle on the back side if you try to force it. Could only get it out with headliner out and pull it out the back of the assembly. If you got it out with the headliner in, I think it would be fairly difficult to get it back in correctly. Busted one side of the clips today just playing with it, but got more on the way so not terribly concerned

Last edited by Genetic_Billionaire; 05-10-2020 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-10-2020, 11:45 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks GB. Presently going through planning for a headliner replacement.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by XJR-100
Thanks GB. Presently going through planning for a headliner replacement.
I just posted a link to a video in the other Sunroof thread I had going, check that to see how the little rear headliner filler piece clips into the sliding assembly. Fast forward to about 2 min through. You will be able to see why it might be difficult to get out with headliner in the car. It might be possible to get it out if you unbolted the actual metal moon roof from the sliding assembly with the 3 torx fasteners on either side, and you would then be able to go in from the top to access the clips without busting. Haven't tested that, but just an idea.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:27 PM

So I pushed the inner panel in into its place and the sunroof tilts up and down without an issue.

the problem is the rear right corner of the the interior panel tilts down more than the left one. So it came loose. I can’t se what the little spring attaches to.

I’m posting the pic and a video.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:03 PM

Almost there. See the little Red circle? you just missed getting that lip over the pin on the mechanism. Try again. Might be able just be able to unclip the one side, push it up and try and hang it over the pin. never just tried one side, but its less than an inch you have to pull it back. Give it a shot!

The following 2 users liked this post by Genetic_Billionaire:
Cafcpete (05-16-2020), Parker 2 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Genetic_Billionaire
Almost there. See the little Red circle? you just missed getting that lip over the pin on the mechanism. Try again. Might be able just be able to unclip the one side, push it up and try and hang it over the pin. never just tried one side, but its less than an inch you have to pull it back. Give it a shot!
This explains it perfectly. Its the red circle thats the issue for me .

Gonna give it a try today. Thank you so much. Pictures make it clear.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:53 AM

Looks like the rear left channel slider is broken. The ear peace broke off. So it can tilt up fine, but sliding the sunroof back will probably push the small interior panel back and then not pull it back.
Not sure how to source it.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:10 AM

This part?

Old 05-20-2020, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Genetic_Billionaire
This part?
Yes!! The part on the right, with a hole in it for the lever to hook into broke off.
I found the broken peace. There is zero chance of gluing it back in.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 371 Posts

Travelling down the sunroof grief road at the moment, but discovered something which might be of assistance to others.
I too broke the part in the photo above. Pushing upwards on the sun roof lining panel too enthusiastically while trying to reattach it, I broke off the part on the extreme right of the photo. On examination, my first thought was that its role was to move the secondary part of the sun roof lining back and forward , and that some glue would suffice, failing which I could live without the secondary lining. A further moments thought caused me to realise that it is also what anchors the rearmost part of the slide /tilt mechanism to the sunroof rail, and that it is under a fair bit of tension/compression during roof operation. Glue was not going to work, and without it, the sunroof is goosed.

Jaguar classic parts do not show the part separately on their diagram, and do not stock the entire slide/tilt mechanism any more. After some futile searching on google, panic was starting to set in, when, on reading one of the TSBs kindly listed by Motorcarman, I noticed an exploded parts diagram showing the part, and a part number, HNB1774AA. Upon googling the part number, lo and behold, Jaguar classic parts have it in stock for about £16. Eureka!!

Quite why they dont show it in their parts catalogue (isnt the new version much worse than the old one?) I dont know, but I have it in my hand and am relieved/delighted!

Old 05-20-2020, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by countyjag
Travelling down the sunroof grief road at the moment, but discovered something which might be of assistance to others.
I too broke the part in the photo above. Pushing upwards on the sun roof lining panel too enthusiastically while trying to reattach it, I broke off the part on the extreme right of the photo. On examination, my first thought was that its role was to move the secondary part of the sun roof lining back and forward , and that some glue would suffice, failing which I could live without the secondary lining. A further moments thought caused me to realise that it is also what anchors the rearmost part of the slide /tilt mechanism to the sunroof rail, and that it is under a fair bit of tension/compression during roof operation. Glue was not going to work, and without it, the sunroof is goosed.

Jaguar classic parts do not show the part separately on their diagram, and do not stock the entire slide/tilt mechanism any more. After some futile searching on google, panic was starting to set in, when, on reading one of the TSBs kindly listed by Motorcarman, I noticed an exploded parts diagram showing the part, and a part number, HNB1774AA. Upon googling the part number, lo and behold, Jaguar classic parts have it in stock for about £16. Eureka!!

Quite why they dont show it in their parts catalogue (isnt the new version much worse than the old one?) I dont know, but I have it in my hand and am relieved/delighted!
thank you so much. That’s a relief.

Any idea what it takes to replace that part? Does the headliner need to come out ?
thanks again.

Quick Reply: Sunroof panel problem