XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Sunroof panel problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 11:18 PM
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Would be very difficult to do it with it in, although not impossible. You would need to drop the headliner down, as that assembly will need to slide out the back of the track in order to replace it

Old 05-20-2020, 11:29 PM
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by countyjag
Jaguar classic parts do not show the part separately on their diagram, and do not stock the entire slide/tilt mechanism any more. After some futile searching on google, panic was starting to set in, when, on reading one of the TSBs kindly listed by Motorcarman, I noticed an exploded parts diagram showing the part, and a part number, HNB1774AA. Upon googling the part number, lo and behold, Jaguar classic parts have it in stock for about £16. Eureka!!

Quite why they dont show it in their parts catalogue (isnt the new version much worse than the old one?) I dont know, but I have it in my hand and am relieved/delighted!
I have been on an adventure with this as well. I am making these pieces out of aluminum, along with the tilt and slide cam, and the bit that attaches to the cable to make the whole thing life proof. not a cheap endeavor, but id think worth it in the long run.

The following users liked this post:
Cafcpete (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:51 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Well ordered the part.
guess I’ll have to wait to install it when I’m ready to have the headliner redone, which is sagging out back.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

My working sunroof assembly is for sale, comes with a free X330. All reasonable offers accepted.

The following users liked this post:
Cafcpete (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 371 Posts

Apologies for the poor quality picture, but I decided to bite the bullet yesterday and replace the broken part on my sunroof, and fit a new roof lining while I was at it. The picture is taken from the right hand rear seat area, looking forwards, and the whiteish / light grey item on the upper left of the picture is the rubber bung at the end of the sunroof track. It is very flimsy, and is easily removed by hand, allowing the broken part to be removed and the new one inserted. 2 minute job with the lining removed, no tools required.
As for removing the roof lining, pretty straightforward and there are various good videos on you tube showing you how to do it. The difficult bit is getting the lining out of the car without damaging it. As I was fitting a new one, I didnt dwell too long on the "without damaging it" part of the mission, but it would strike me as very difficult / impossible to remove it from the vehicle and keep it fit for reuse. That said, there are several suppliers of reasonably priced glass fibre backed replacements, so it isnt really an issue.
If you are simply aiming to replace the part, this could be done without removing the lining from the car obviously, but to create as much room as you see in the picture, you will need to peel off the felt / rubber seal around the sunroof opening which holds the roof lining to the aperture, as there isnt sufficient "give" in the roof lining material to allow the roof liner to drop this far. It might be possible to replace the part by loosening the roof liner attachments but leaving the sunroof aperture lining attached and slipping your hand in blind, and that would have been my first course of action if I hadnt been replacing the lining. Hopefully the picture, despite its poor quality, might be of help in navigating your way around if you decide to go in blind.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Genetic_Billionaire
This part?
So this part came in from UK. Im in NYC. Very excited.

Now i know the headliner has to come down to install it, but my rear is sagging as is. If lets say I made a small hole, would I be able to install this part somehow to have the sunroof working again?

Old 05-27-2020, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 371 Posts

I wouldnt be thinking about cutting any holes just yet. That looks like the right hand part, same as the one I broke. I would aim to loosen the roof lining fastenings with the fabric still attached around the sunroof aperture itself. Lift the roof lining off of the little metal "tang" it rests on at around the C pillar, and it will fall several inches, possibly more depending how loose your fabric is. You should be able to insert your hand and find the rubber bung "blind" . By way of navigation clues, note in my photo that the bung is almost in line with the hole in the cant rail trim where the grab handle attaches. Viewing one of the youtube videos on how to change the roof lining will make life easier in terms of showing you where the fastenings are and how to remove them. Not at all difficult, but it will save you time and avoid unnecessary tears!

The following 2 users liked this post by countyjag:
Cafcpete (05-27-2020), Tbilisi79 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 09:32 AM

Thank you very much. I’ll do some research on ways to lower the headliner over the next few days and then try to tackle this project.

I really appreciate everyone’s input. I’d be lost without it.

I will post results as they happen.

Dave.