XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Supercharger idler pulleys 1996 XJR - 2 of them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Supercharger idler pulleys 1996 XJR - 2 of them?

Hi gang:

Need information as to the 2 pulleys that I see which look to me like they are idler pulleys for the Supercharger on my 1996 XJR.

I see 2 pulleys. -

1. One pulley is a little lower than the other and it is ribbed and it looks to be adjustable. (seem to see that listed on ebay).
2. The other pulley is a little higher than the ribbed pulley. It is not ribbed and there doesn't seem to be any adjustment capability for it (cannot find a listing for this one).

I would like to replace both pulleys as one of them seems rather loud. I know because I've compared it to the sound of the identical pulleys on my other XJR (parts car).

So, if anyone could tell me what pulleys, or part numbers that I should be looking for so that I can replace both pulleys, that would be just great. Also, perhaps a parts source as well if possible. I'm in Canada (West Coast Vancouver BC) which makes getting parts a rather longggggggg procedure, and expensive proposition due to shipping time, and freight costs, but that's just the way it is.

Thanks so much, this forum has REALLY , REALLY helped me in a number of ways to source problems and solutions while I'm attempting to put my recent XJR aquisition into shape. I'm slowly getting there with the help of this forum and all of you who take the time to share your help and advice.

I really hope that I can contribute the same over time.

... Sincerely, Grant ...

Old 03-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Eisworth
Hi gang:

Need information as to the 2 pulleys that I see which look to me like they are idler pulleys for the Supercharger on my 1996 XJR.

I see 2 pulleys. -

1. One pulley is a little lower than the other and it is ribbed and it looks to be adjustable. (seem to see that listed on ebay).
2. The other pulley is a little higher than the ribbed pulley. It is not ribbed and there doesn't seem to be any adjustment capability for it (cannot find a listing for this one).

I would like to replace both pulleys as one of them seems rather loud. I know because I've compared it to the sound of the identical pulleys on my other XJR (parts car).

So, if anyone could tell me what pulleys, or part numbers that I should be looking for so that I can replace both pulleys, that would be just great. Also, perhaps a parts source as well if possible. I'm in Canada (West Coast Vancouver BC) which makes getting parts a rather longggggggg procedure, and expensive proposition due to shipping time, and freight costs, but that's just the way it is.

Thanks so much, this forum has REALLY , REALLY helped me in a number of ways to source problems and solutions while I'm attempting to put my recent XJR aquisition into shape. I'm slowly getting there with the help of this forum and all of you who take the time to share your help and advice.

I really hope that I can contribute the same over time.

... Sincerely, Grant ...
Grant,
Finally! its nice to see someone in vancouver bc too, sorry to hear about the pulley. I can get you the part # when i get home today, or if you dont want to wait that long try jag heritage they have good diagram with part number on it. Also when i did my belt, i believe one of them is the idler puller the other is the supercharger itself so did you try spinning the pulley see which one is bad?

Last edited by FrozenApple; 03-03-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:22 PM

Hey there Frozen Apple:

Thanks for the reply. No I'm definitely not talking about the Supercharger pulley for sure. I didn't spin the pulleys as I'm definitely going to replace both of them. If the noise still persists after replacing these 2, then the Supercharger pulley might be suspect.

If you are leaning over the fender from the Drivers Side (Canada), you will see the Supercharger with it's pulley. Then continuing towards the passenger side you will see another smooooooth pulley which I don't believe is adjustable, THEN continuing on towards the passenger side and much lower down towards the bottom of the engine (getting a little closer to the crankshaft damper/flywheel) you will see yet another pulley (which is ribbed) and is adjustable (from what I can tell). The Supercharger belt goes around all of these (and more).

But it's just the 2 pulleys on the passenger side of the Supercharger that seem to be NOT CONNECTED to anything that runs anything else (from what I can tell). They both seem to be some sort of idler pulleys.

I can wait for you to let me know what you replaced and part numbers and whatever else you can share with me.

Thanks for your fast response and we'll probably meet up now that we know we are both in the same neighbourhood.

... Grant ...

Old 03-03-2015, 04:19 PM

Grant,
Cant recall the exact thing i did but the supercharger belt was the easiest to replace, all i did was loosen the idler pulley, which would be the one beside the supercharger pulley, the one on passenger side would be the ac compressor right? and its adjusted through a rod, and the alternator belt is adjuated with a rod as well. I recommnd isolating the noise first then tackle it! try to spin your pulley, alt, and ac compressor by hand

Jacky

Last edited by FrozenApple; 03-03-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 PM

Hey there Frozen Apple:

Thanks for the reply. No I'm definitely not talking about the Supercharger pulley for sure. I didn't spin the pulleys as I'm definitely going to replace both of them. If the noise still persists after replacing these 2, then the Supercharger pulley might be suspect.

If you are leaning over the fender from the Drivers Side (Canada), you will see the Supercharger with it's pulley. Then continuing towards the passenger side you will see another smooooooth pulley which I don't believe is adjustable, THEN continuing on towards the passenger side and much lower down towards the bottom of the engine (getting a little closer to the crankshaft damper/flywheel) you will see yet another pulley (which is ribbed) and is adjustable (from what I can tell). The Supercharger belt goes around all of these (and more).

But it's just the 2 pulleys on the passenger side of the Supercharger that seem to be NOT CONNECTED to anything that runs anything else (from what I can tell). They both seem to be some sort of idler pulleys.

I can wait for you to let me know what you replaced and part numbers and whatever else you can share with me.

Thanks for your fast response and we'll probably meet up now that we know we are both in the same neighbourhood.

... Grant ...
Alright heres a diagram of everything that you seek.

#13 Idler Pulley (Flat) Part # EBC11528
#1 Idler Pulley (Ribbed) Part # EBC11527

Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 PM

Hey there Frozen Apple (gotta be a story connected to that name).

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post the picture and the part numbers of both the pulleys that contact the Supercharger belt (pulley #13 as well as pulley #1). The diagram you posted is exactly what I see as far as the 2 pulleys are concerned.

I'm going to try to find a supplier for both these pulleys and I'll probably replace the Supercharger belt at the same time.

I'm off to Peachland tomorrow with the Jag. First longer highway trip. Hope I don't run into any snow higher up the passes. I checked the highway cams and things look pretty good. I think the pulleys will last there and back as they are not too loud. Gotta prune the cherry, apple, pears, and grapes as I'm a little late due to the early mild weather in the Okanagan (I hate pruning).

Thanks again for helping me ... Grant ...

Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 PM

Hey there Frozen Apple (gotta be a story connected to that name).

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post the picture and the part numbers of both the pulleys that contact the Supercharger belt (pulley #13 as well as pulley #1). The diagram you posted is exactly what I see as far as the 2 pulleys are concerned.

I'm going to try to find a supplier for both these pulleys and I'll probably replace the Supercharger belt at the same time.

I'm off to Peachland tomorrow with the Jag. First longer highway trip. Hope I don't run into any snow higher up the passes. I checked the highway cams and things look pretty good. I think the pulleys will last there and back as they are not too loud. Gotta prune the cherry, apple, pears, and grapes as I'm a little late due to the early mild weather in the Okanagan (I hate pruning).

Thanks again for helping me ... Grant ...
Grant,
I do not think the pulley fails that often, you should hand spin it at least to see if its in fact making noises, and the tensioner is the rod so all you do is loosen the pulley and adjust the rod to tighten/loose. The supercharger belt and the ac compressor belt is super easy to replace. also have fun on the trip! hope everything goes well, I'm actually thinking of taking a trip around Ossoyos myself later this summer. I just insured my jag today and plan on doing some repair on it this upcoming week (Upper Tensioner, Clock, Front Wheel Bearing, Oil Change, Diff Oil Change).
As for parts you can try SNG Barrat I think their price is pretty fair if you have a mail box in states that would be even better, also there is belt kit so maybe if you plan on doing the belts you might as well do all 3 at the same time. Let me know if you need any help, after all we are in the same area.

Jacky

Last edited by FrozenApple; 03-03-2015 at 11:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Grant Eisworth (03-04-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 11:18 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Hey Grant,
I replaced both of these pulleys just recently on my XJR as I think the tensioner pulley was starting to squeak

The smooth idler one that is not adjustable is this one
Amazon.com: OES Genuine Accelerator Belt Idler Pulley for select Jaguar XJR models: Automotive Amazon.com: OES Genuine Accelerator Belt Idler Pulley for select Jaguar XJR models: Automotive

The ribbed one I purchased is this one. I know it says BMW but it was the same dimensions as the Jaguar one and has been working fine.
Amazon.com: OES Genuine Accelerator Belt Idler Pulley for select BMW 320i models: Automotive Amazon.com: OES Genuine Accelerator Belt Idler Pulley for select BMW 320i models: Automotive

The following users liked this post:
Grant Eisworth (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where can you find these exploded view drawings of the car parts? i would like to see some other parts as well. thanks for the information and best regards.
Steven.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 371 Posts

Grant,
in the course of trying to track down a noise, I replaced both of the pulleys, needlessly as it turned out. Have you tried taking the supercharger belt off and running the engine to see whether the noise persists?

Steven,
the diagrams are available at the jaguar classic parts site.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:41 AM

Hey there Steven:

Thanks for the suggestion, I will do that once I get to my destination in Peachland. Makes all the sense in the world of course.

... Grant ...

Old 03-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Grant,
What kind of noise are you hearing? When my idler pulley was starting to go out, I was hearing a high pitched squeaking noise

Old 03-04-2015, 04:23 PM

Hey there AlbBolivar:

I'm getting a loud whirring sound which dies down after a while. No squeaking or squealing. I'm hoping it's one of the idlers and not the supercharger. Seems to be definitely coming from that main area. However I'm now in Peachland and may be able to take off the supercharger belt and have a listen to rule out any other areas such as alternator or air conditioner stuff. Will update this posting as things progress.
... Grant ...