XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Talk me out of this 97 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,980 Likes on 7,212 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
And yes, he is a bit zealous about the car, but he's a dealer.... so that's to be expected to some degree I guess.

That's OK. You're buying the car, not the sales pitch. You're obviously savvy enough to avoid falling for the hype.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The steering wheel color is the same as my XJR6 1997 so I think that is a factory option. Fuel efficient aka 21-23mpg on freeway at 80-90mph 15 around town

Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts
Question Correct shocks?

That's about the same gas mileage as I get from my 95 Roadmaster and 95 Riviera on the highway. As I'll be driving this(or similar) car about 120 miles each day on the highway to work, that is fine MPG.

So, for those in the know, check out the two photos of the new shocks. They are Bilsteins, but can you tell if they are the correct adjustable units for the XJR? I just want to verify that lower cost non-adjustable units weren't installed.

Attached Thumbnails Talk me out of this 97 XJR-shocks1.jpg   Talk me out of this 97 XJR-shocks2.jpg  
Old 04-09-2014, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

After buying several cars on e-bay, I recently was cheated on an X-300 that was "perfect", so I am now a little cynical. I would wonder why a car "dealer" has NO Sellers EBAY HISTORY! I would certainly not buy this car sight unseen.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 04-09-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

That's about the same gas mileage as I get from my 95 Roadmaster and 95 Riviera on the highway. As I'll be driving this(or similar) car about 120 miles each day on the highway to work, that is fine MPG.

So, for those in the know, check out the two photos of the new shocks. They are Bilsteins, but can you tell if they are the correct adjustable units for the XJR? I just want to verify that lower cost non-adjustable units weren't installed.

The XJR/6 does not use adjustable shocks.

The original XJR-spec shocks were green but I'm not sure if the replacements are.

Jaguar used about a 6 or 7 different Bilstein shocks on the X300s but, if buying via the aftermarket, Bilstein offers about three choices. I'm not sure if any of them are green.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
After buying several cars on e-bay, I recently was cheated on an X-300 that was "perfect", so I am now a little cynical. I would wonder why a car "dealer" has NO Sellers EBAY HISTORY! I would certainly not buy this car sight unseen.

This might be a good candidate for one of those inspection services?

I was pretty excited about this car until that sloppy paintwork issue came up. I'm glad somebody caught that.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Fully agree with Sparkenzap. Quite odd that the dealer has no sellers history??

Also, I seem to remember this car being on Ebay once or twice before in the last year or so. I remember the odd looking grain on the ski slope.

It could still be an excellent car and if priced right, worth a punt but I would not even consider buying it without inspecting the car. If you can't go to see it yourself then hiring a mechanic to do it for you as Doug suggested might be the way to go?

It is easy to photoshop pics and I see evidence of it all the time on Ebay. Not saying these have been doctored but as in all things Caveat Emptor!!!!

Good luck

Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Also your question about the shocks. The ones pictured are the touring style B4 shocks which are quite soft and are the ones used on the regular XJ6. The XJR should have the B6 Bilsteins which are much stiffer and I believe are yellow.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally the yellows were only on German market XJRs. It's all confusing :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Ok, just went back and looked over the pix again and that car has been either re-sprayed or had extensive lower paint work. The over spray is clear on the lower/under boot and mufflers as well as on the jack/cover and under rocker area on a close up picture of that area. There is ZERO over spray anywhere on those areas on my 97 and they are classic tell-tales of shoddy paint work...if he claims ignorance...run away. If he claims it was a "quality" touch up...it's not, anyone doing quality paint work would ensure no over spray in those areas.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks all. I've dropped him an email about the paint and shocks.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks all. I've dropped him an email about the paint and shocks.
I've also sent him a question via ebay, we'll compare notes after a reply. Hopefully it's a nice car at a fair price, although skeptical I hold out hope its nice and what your looking for.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Originally the yellows were only on German market XJRs. It's all confusing :-)

Cheers
DD
Yes Doug you are quite right. The originals for the US XJR's were green as you said. But as Al points out the shocks have been changed. Bilstein currently offer the B4 touring shock or the B6 Heavy Duty shock for the XJ6/R. The B4's are black and the B6's are yellow looking at the Bilstein site.

Also the part number that you can make out in one of the photos is clearly that of the touring (softer) shock.

It makes me wonder what the car rides like with stiff springs but soft shocks?

Old 04-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey guys, check this out. The grille seems to be secured with screws that can be seen from the front. That ain't right!

Attached Thumbnails Talk me out of this 97 XJR-t2wtenh.png  
Old 04-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 95XJRBlack
Hey guys, check this out. The grille seems to be secured with screws that can be seen from the front. That ain't right!
That's how you secure the grill after the correct "tabs" break off!

Old 04-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsmks
that's how you secure the grill after the correct "tabs" break off!
"the nicest xjr you will find!!!11!!"

Old 04-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

The seller has replied that he received my list questions and will answer them when he can (he replied while driving).

*sigh* ..... I'm becoming less enthusiastic about the car by the hour however.

But I'd rather have that than buyer's remorse!

Thanks again for all the observations It will either help ensure this is a good buy, or help with the next buying evaluation!

Old 04-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I bought a car from some guys in Pompano Beach who use several names on E-bay (as I figured out later). The car was low mileage, and they made similiar claims of perfection, with lots of pictures. They told me "all was prfect". Well the 48 pictures were so well taken that I could not see the sloppy bondo work on the roof which is covering blisters coming throught the paint. Ten OBD code came up on the recently reset scan. The headline was held up temprarily by some spreaye din glue. And the SRS light was cleverly hidden in the photos!

Fortunately, I bought the car to be my beater, and the SRS is apparently not due to a deployment, and I did not pay that much, so I only got cheated too badly.

I could sue, burn their shop down, hire Louie the knife to visit them or just take my lumps... I am not sure which yet, but my inclination is the last choice mentioned.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by AllanG
Yes Doug you are quite right. The originals for the US XJR's were green as you said. But as Al points out the shocks have been changed. Bilstein currently offer the B4 touring shock or the B6 Heavy Duty shock for the XJ6/R. The B4's are black and the B6's are yellow looking at the Bilstein site.

Also the part number that you can make out in one of the photos is clearly that of the touring (softer) shock.

It makes me wonder what the car rides like with stiff springs but soft shocks?

Yes, I wondered the same thing.

I think the B4 touring shocks would be fine operationally, but of course aren't what is spec'd for the car.

I've asked the seller why the incorrect B4 versus B6 Bilsteins were installed. Conceivably it could have been a mistake, or by choice to save money or for a softer ride. Dunno.... but we'll see.

I did say that it will be a cost to me to correct. I'm not trying to nickel/dime the guy, but that is the truth that I'd replace them now just as if they were worn/defective original spec shocks.

Here are the XJR versus XJ6 Bilstein shocks per Bilstein's catalog:

1997 Jaguar XJR Base L6 4.0L GAS FI SC RWD

B6 (HD)Bilstein B6 Heavy Duty monotube gas pressure shocks and struts are the ideal choice for most vehicles, including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability, without sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for the driver who demands superior performance, while maintaining an exceptional street ride. (black paint, steel body)

36mm Monotube Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-067249
Series: B6 (HD)
Position: Front
Descriptor: X306 Chassis
Old Part Number: F4-BE3-6724-M0

46mm Monotube Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-185806
Series: B6 (HD)
Position: Rear
Descriptor: X306 Chassis
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-6725-M0

1997 Jaguar XJ6 Base L6 4.0L GAS FI NA RWD

B4 OE ReplacementBilstein B4 OE Replacement Series gas pressure shocks and struts are specifically engineered to be the best choice for maintaining the original ride quality of your vehicle, while meeting or exceeding OE standards. These dampers are the ideal choice for the driver looking to restore the original performance and handling of their vehicle, with the added benefit of world-famous Bilstein quality.

36mm Monotube Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-018616
Series: B4 OE Replacement
Position: Front
Old Part Number: F4-B36-1861-H0

46mm Monotube Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-018586
Series: B4 OE Replacement
Position: Rear
Old Part Number: F4-B46-1858-H0

Old 04-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 95XJRBlack
This one has been on Dallas Craigslist for a while. I bet he would come down on the price. Although I have no connection with the car or owner at all.

1995 Jaguar XJR 4.0L Supercharged 50K Miles
That's an official Jag body color?

Quick Reply: Talk me out of this 97 XJR