XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Talk me out of this 97 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,982 Likes on 7,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 95XJRBlack
Hey guys, check this out. The grille seems to be secured with screws that can be seen from the front. That ain't right!

Don't be too sure.

Mine has those two screws at the top (which are indeed visible) and then two 'tab-A-into-slot-' tabs at the bottom. Nothing has ever been broken.

That parts catalog agrees, it seems

Radiator Grille and Badges - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by caldercay
That's an official Jag body color?
Yep, I've seen a few of them for sale in the color. There is another one in Florida (I think).

I actually think it is a pretty nice color. Definitely eye catching! If it were a 96 or 97, didnt' have that grey interior and the front seats weren't so cracked .... I'd probably give them a call.

Interesting observation, the normally red trim around the tail lights is chrome. Either they came that way on this turqouise 95 XJR (an early 95 perhaps?) or someone removed the paint. It does wear off sometimes too, so maybe someone gave up and took it the rest of the way off?

Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-09-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Doug
Don't be too sure.

Mine has those two screws at the top (which are indeed visible) and then two 'tab-A-into-slot-' tabs at the bottom. Nothing has ever been broken.

That parts catalog agrees, it seems

Radiator Grille and Badges - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Cheers
DD

Well that's one potential issue resolved

I thought I had seen those screws in other photos. Not a very clean solution IMHO, but if that's stock... so be it

Old 04-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Also why are the jack point covers body color?? They should be black rubber unless someone has done a re spray and sprayed right over them.
I agree. If you scroll down the photos about 1/2 way, you'll see a photo of of the shock \ coil, then a photo from the rear (from the ground) forward, you'll see overspray; then the next photo down, more evidence of overspray, inboard of the rocker panels.

Is that an XJR steering wheel?

Old 04-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Yep, I've seen a few of them for sale in the color. There is another one in Florida (I think).

I actually think it is a pretty nice color. Definitely eye catching! If it were a 96 or 97, didnt' have that grey interior and the front seats weren't so cracked .... I'd probably give them a call.

Interesting observation, the normally red trim around the tail lights is chrome. Either they came that way on this turqouise 95 XJR (an early 95 perhaps?) or someone removed the paint. It does wear off sometimes too, so maybe someone gave up and took it the rest of the way off?

Al

Mine's wearing a bit thin but it's just yellow-ish plastic underneath. <shrug> The tail light assemblies could've been replaced with non-XJR units...for any number of reasons, perhaps even owner preference.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, 400+ views.... this is going to be most hyper-analyzed XJR for sale in history

Old 04-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by caldercay
I agree. If you scroll down the photos about 1/2 way, you'll see a photo of of the shock \ coil, then a photo from the rear (from the ground) forward, you'll see overspray; then the next photo down, more evidence of overspray, inboard of the rocker panels.

Is that an XJR steering wheel?

The steering wheel has been mentioned several times.

One fellow replied that it's the same as his own '97 XJR. I've seen that style on a few XJRs....and they've all been '97s.

<shrug>

Maybe Jaguar just made the '97s that way?

All the XJRs I've seen with the lighter wood have been '97s as well

Cheers
DD

Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, 400+ views.... this is going to be most hyper-analyzed XJR for sale in history

Yup. As 15-20 year old used cars in the $6-$8k price range go, this one is really being picked apart.

The paint issue certainly merits concern, though; I glad someone spotted that.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 302 Posts

Al,

Just noticed a couple of things. Although the front shocks are B4 Bilsteins, I just now noticed that the rear shocks are the green original Jag shocks. So it looks like the bloke changed the front shocks only. Again not sure what that means in terms of ride. It will have soft shocks in front and stiff shocks in rear.

Also I noticed that the drivers door card has been off at some point and not put back correctly. Probably the little plastic grommets are missing for the fir tree fasteners. No big deal but i wonder why they needed to get i there? Also they broke the black plate on the drivers inside door handle. Again not a biggie.

Isn't it fun to have this many people with microscopes!!!!

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

And the overspray ?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation

OK, just got off the phone with the seller. Unless he calls me back and offers it for something like $4500 (and I don't think he will, and even then.... ), I think I'm going to pass.

Again, I am in no hurry and others will come along, so it's not a big deal.

BTW, the seller seems like an honest guy who prefers answering questions in person on the phone versus email. With that in mind, please don't interpret my passing on the car or this thread as anything negative about the seller.

I told him I would still think about it (and I will sleep on it), and will let him know in a day or two if I remain interested. And of course, he may sell it in the interim, which is fine.

He answered all of my questions without fail, some about several nit-picky things on my part, but they mattered to me. Unfortunately they weren' the answers I was looking for.

For example, the radio is working but not the CD changer control from the head unit, nor is the clock. Now I know that almost any example I might buy is likely to have these common issues, but as a sum of others with this car, it didn't help.

Regarding the shocks, he only replaced the front two, and he indicated they were chosen as the softer B4 shocks on purpose due to rough roads in NJ/NY. He didn't replace the rear shocks, so can't speak to whether they are correct, new or original. Similarly with the springs, he said he was told they were replaced before he bought it, but he didn't do so himself so can't confirm that is the case. At that point I didn't quiz him further on the replaced ball joints, bushings, etc that are noted in the auction notes as I suspect I'd receive a similar answer.

Regarding the paint, he had the rear bumper painted. He also agrees/suspects that the car as a whole has had some panels repainted, and agrees about the overspray issues underneath. But he can't comment on that paint work or the overall quality of the paint job other than he knows it isn't "top quality" and the rear trunk deck could have had a better job done. He says it shines and shows very well though.

He also said the steering wheel wood had some fading and chips, and the drivers door panel is loose from the door where its clips are broken. He didn't know why the door panel was in this state, such as if/why it had been removed.

All other accessories work according to the seller, including all heat and memory (seat, mirror, steering column) functions.

Other than that, the interior (and especially drivers seat) is probably the cleanest I've seen of the several examples I've seen currently for sale. That was certainly an attractive aspect, but not enough to fully win me over.

Other than the paint and accident history/question, the car still seems like a nice low mileage car in many respects. And some important maintenance has already been done. If the paint and accident issues are less of an issue for someone else, this still seems like a nice low mileage example to consider if the price is right.

I just don't think it is for me. I'm going to keep an eye out for one in a little better shape, less questions about paint/accidents, etc

So I think we can close the review on this one

I'll see what I run across elsewhere and check with you guys then!

Thanks so much again for the help and analysis. I really appreciate it very much. It saved me a likely pointless trip to NJ!

Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-09-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AllanG
Al,

Just noticed a couple of things. Although the front shocks are B4 Bilsteins, I just now noticed that the rear shocks are the green original Jag shocks. So it looks like the bloke changed the front shocks only. Again not sure what that means in terms of ride. It will have soft shocks in front and stiff shocks in rear.

Also I noticed that the drivers door card has been off at some point and not put back correctly. Probably the little plastic grommets are missing for the fir tree fasteners. No big deal but i wonder why they needed to get i there? Also they broke the black plate on the drivers inside door handle. Again not a biggie.

Isn't it fun to have this many people with microscopes!!!!

More than fun, INVALUABLE!

I really do appreciate it, and it seems like it was a fun exercise for the folks here. I think we all probably learned a few things about various model year options, colors, shocks etc along the way!

Thanks again!
Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-09-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, my grill has visible mounting screws too, but mine are way less noticeable. WAY smaller than those on the red car.

Al, are you focusing on the XJR6? Have you ever owned one? I must say so far I am pleasantly surprised with my 95 XJR. I get the feeling Jaguar/Ford put a lot of effort into getting the basics right, my electrical system operates flawlessly with the exception of my CD changer and LCD clock...which are nits and can hardly be blamed on Jaguar (their suppliers...yes).

Mine just turned 104K on the clock and it feels like a tank. Very little noise, rattles, vibration. Particularly after I put on new tires and replaced my upper shock bushings...which was very easy and kind of fun. And it passed Texas emission test with flying colors...even the tech was shocked.

I guess what I am saying is that I am happy that I waited for the right XJR6 to come along. Twice now guys have come up to me astonished that there is a six-cylinder version of the XJR. I like the carryover interior from the XJ40. The XJ8 interior just never did it for me.

Last edited by 95XJRBlack; 04-09-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

One fellow replied that it's the same as his own '97 XJR. I've seen that style on a few XJRs....and they've all been '97s.

<shrug>

Take a peek at the '97 linked in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-115236/page2/

Notice the trim combination with the black dash and upper door panels....and then look at steering wheel.

Just a guess at this point but I'll wager there's a direct relationship, possible solving hte mystery? Not a model year thing but a trim code thing?

I dunno, but it might be fun to research

Cheers
DD

Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Post #22 in that thread, sorry

Cheers
DD

Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps a Canadian market thing? ...the headlight washers.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, my grill has visible mounting screws too, but mine are way less noticeable. WAY smaller than those on the red car.

Al, are you focusing on the XJR6? Have you ever owned one? I must say so far I am pleasantly surprised with my 95 XJR. I get the feeling Jaguar/Ford put a lot of effort into getting the basics right, my electrical system operates flawlessly with the exception of my CD changer and LCD clock...which are nits and can hardly be blamed on Jaguar (their suppliers...yes).

Mine just turned 104K on the clock and it feels like a tank. Very little noise, rattles, vibration. Particularly after I put on new tires and replaced my upper shock bushings...which was very easy and kind of fun. And it passed Texas emission test with flying colors...even the tech was shocked.

I guess what I am saying is that I am happy that I waited for the right XJR6 to come along. Twice now guys have come up to me astonished that there is a six-cylinder version of the XJR. I like the carryover interior from the XJ40. The XJ8 interior just never did it for me.

I have never owned any Jaguar, but I have a soft spot for a late 80s Series III VDP and the 95-97 XJR. I could probably own either one and be happy if the right car came along.

The later V8 XJRs are certainly more powerful and have some other advantages, but the reliability issues with the early V8 cars is a concern, and I'm not really a fan of the interior of the 98+ cars. It is too "swoopy" as I think I saw someone characterize it once.

I too like the inline 6 and scarcity of this first generation XJR. While the V8 XJR is more powerful, it isn't a WHOLE lot more powerful. If we were talking about going from 322HP to 450+HP with the V8, well maybe... But then again, I personally find the inline 6 to be more "interesting" than yet another V8 and also more aligned with Jaguar's legacy. Plus it is a fine and reliable engine.

So I'll just keep looking for a 96 or 97 XJR that fits the bill. A really nice 95 would possibly be acceptable, but I suspect there are some technical refinements to the 96 and 97 that are attractive.

Al

Old 04-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps a Canadian market thing? ...the headlight washers.
Here's a couple to look at. I think I'm seeing a pattern.

1997 Kingfisher Blue Metallic Jaguar XJ XJR #14795394 Photo #5 | GTCarLot.com - Car Color Galleries

JLD Autos - Photos for 1997 Jaguar XJR 6

Cheers
DD

Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

I have never owned any Jaguar, but I have a soft spot for a late 80s Series III VDP and the 95-97 XJR. I could probably own either one and be happy if the right car came along. The later V8 XJRs are certainly more powerful and have some other advantages, but the reliability issues with the early V8 cars is a concern, and I'm not really a fan of the interior of the 98+ cars. It is too "swoopy" as I think I saw someone characterize it once. I too like the inline 6 and scarcity of this first generation XJR. While the V8 XJR is more powerful, it isn't a WHOLE lot more powerful. If we were talking about going from 322HP to 450+HP with the V8, well maybe... But then again, I personally find the inline 6 to be more "interesting" than yet another V8 and also more aligned with Jaguar's legacy. Plus it is a fine and reliable engine. So I'll just keep looking for a 96 or 97 XJR that fits the bill. A really nice 95 would possibly be acceptable, but I suspect there are some technical refinements to the 96 and 97 that are attractive. Al
Al, there is a gentleman in the classifieds selling a very nice 80's xj6 series III in GA for $1850, you may want to have a look.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

It's a 1984. Vanden Plas too! I loved my 87 Series III and would take it over my 97 any day of the week, one I should have kept!

Quick Reply: Talk me out of this 97 XJR