XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Talk me out of this 97 XJR, part deux - 41k beauty!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Doug
Yes, on the steering wheel free play....very slight but it's there.

I'm almost positive someone has posted a fix but I've never taken the time to dig in.

Cheers
DD
Thanks, as long as it is "typical" I'm OK with it. It is very slight.

Maybe I'll run across the "fix" later and get to it once the 1000 more critical "must do" items are done on the other three cars! *laugh*

....and on that note, looks like this is a post about a potential fix:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-x300s-69668/

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 05-22-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Well, this last Friday I took the car by a highly recommended indy shop in Greensboro, NC called "Foreign Accents" and had them give it their "pre purchase inspection" (little late, eh? HA) .... and it came through with flying colors.

The only issue is a slow/minor leak in the power steering hose, which he said certainly could be fixed, but on the other hand was so slow that there isn't any hurry.

And of course the rear shock bushing rattle which was a known issue that is already on my list.

I also found and spoke with the previous owner, who was very helpful and happy to bring me up to speed on what had been done to the car.

The previous owner had in the last ~18 months replaced all hoses, belts, flushed and replaced all fluids (steering, transmission, diff, oil), replaced transmission mount bushing, ABS valve and some other minor work.

The previous owner even let me in on the "trick" to get the radio to work, which is to press the cassette eject button (sometimes several times) and the radio/CD/cassette will then work fine for a while, maybe hours. Tested and confirmed I'll still send the radio in for an overhaul in the coming weeks/month, but it's good to know how to get it to work in the meantime.

The mechanic, who's been servicing Jaguars since 1969 and working at this shop since 1974, said that the car is in just about as good a shape as one could expect. He seemed pretty amazed and went on-and-on about how good it looked inside, underhood, underneath, no rust or scrapes from grounding, etc.

I was already pretty confident that the car would come out of the inspection with good results given what I already knew about the car, but I was still a little nervous about what unknown they could find as you never know until someone actually looks. So it was a huge relief when the mechanic brought me out in the bay and the first thing he said was "you got a good one"

So, bottom line, thanks again to everyone here that helped me look over a few cars and this one in particular. It was a little bit of a leap of faith to fly down to Houston, TX to get it, but it turned out to be a great experience.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 06-16-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

And BTW, I just want to add that I enjoy the heck out of this car. I really look forward to driving it to work for my 50 min commute every day.

....it may not be a rocket off the line (although it is quick), but man it pulls from 60+ almost effortlessly. There is no need to "floor it" to pull away and pass at 70MPH.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Talking Pic from the drive back...

This was a shot about halfway back to NC from TX when we drove it back this last summer.

Ran across it on the phone and thought it was a nice photo. I remember how cool the rain was that day, and how nice it felt after driving for so long.

Whew that was a looooooong drive, 19 hours

Attached Thumbnails Talk me out of this 97 XJR, part deux - 41k beauty!-img_0264.jpg  

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 11-07-2014 at 07:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
01Silverstone (11-07-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Window Tint

I assume your car came already tinted, I really like the way your car looks, although I may have to convince my wife because it's her car. Do you know what percentage it is and what kind?

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dagny747
I assume your car came already tinted, I really like the way your car looks, although I may have to convince my wife because it's her car. Do you know what percentage it is and what kind?

Hi, yeah I'm sorry but the car came tinted so I really don't know what % and what type was used. I wish I could help with a little more information, but I just don't know.

I can say I too am surprised that I like the tint too, as I'm really not usually a fan of tinted windows. But I think it goes well with the finish.

The tint seems to be a good quality as it isn't wavy when you look through it, and the rear defrost isn't creating bubbles (yet) which is often a problem with cheap tint.

Apologies I can't give you more to go on....