XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Two Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Two Questions

Hello, been a bit since I last logged in. Work,school, and family have me going 24/7 it seems. Two quick questions. When I get my wind shield (wind screen) replaced what are the chances of the chrome trim going back on correctly? If it gets mucked up, where do I get a new one? Also, sorry if this seems weird----but I have always admired the look of the x-300 without the Leaper on the hood. I would much rather just have the round medallion. Can a switch be made? What is under the base of the Leaper on an American Jag? A round hole which could be filled with a medallion, perhaps? Hope everyone is doing well----thanks----Scott

Old 02-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shortbus76
Hello, been a bit since I last logged in. Work,school, and family have me going 24/7 it seems. Two quick questions. When I get my wind shield (wind screen) replaced what are the chances of the chrome trim going back on correctly? If it gets mucked up, where do I get a new one? Also, sorry if this seems weird----but I have always admired the look of the x-300 without the Leaper on the hood. I would much rather just have the round medallion. Can a switch be made? What is under the base of the Leaper on an American Jag? A round hole which could be filled with a medallion, perhaps? Hope everyone is doing well----thanks----Scott
Be sure to send your leaper to me!

X300's never came with a bonnet medallion, so what medallion would you use?

Last edited by Oubadah; 02-14-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:23 PM

Those American Jags spring loaded?

If your's is anything like the leaper on my old man's X300, it'll have four holes in total:

Two Questions-zccjt.jpg

There are those two visible ones - they go straight through the base and bonnet, and seem to be redundant (something for mounting fixed leapers?).

Then there is one large hole for the spring mechanism to go through and a little hole towards the back of the base to key it in place.

That'll need one large medallion, unless you feel like patching up a hole or two.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Yep. Spring loaded....when I came out of work today, someone had turned mine just like yours is positioned in the photo. Kinda p'd me off, actually...not your photo...that someone would snag the sacred leaper with their flippin' computer bag or whatever and not even bother to set him aright! Guess I should just be thankful for no hood scratches nor door dings.

Shortbus...if shipping costs to get your leaper to NZ are prohibitive...I'll take it!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hhhmmmmm----I thought only the American models came with the leaper and the Brit models came with the medallion. I may stand corrected. No insight into the windshield problem? I have looked online and have not discovered the chrome trim being offered for sale. Does anyone have any experience in having the windshield replaced without the trim getting all mucked up? My stickers are due at the end of the month and I would like to take care of everything at once. Thanks and have a great evening--------------Scott

Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by shortbus76
hhhmmmmm----I thought only the American models came with the leaper and the Brit models came with the medallion. I may stand corrected. No insight into the windshield problem? I have looked online and have not discovered the chrome trim being offered for sale. Does anyone have any experience in having the windshield replaced without the trim getting all mucked up? My stickers are due at the end of the month and I would like to take care of everything at once. Thanks and have a great evening--------------Scott
Brit models without leapers have nothing on the bonnet - mine is like that. It wouldn't have made much sense to install a bonnet medallion when there was already a cat face badge on the grille.

Sorry I can't help you with the windscreen surround.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default windshield chrome

i've had to have windshields replaced in both of my xj6's.the chrome around the front and back windows are stainless,you can safely remove with a small flat screwdriver between the chrome and rubber.but rubber removal is more tricky,best left to window installer as it is glued in ;and most installers will know what to do without screwing it up.so if its a window you need replaced let the installer just do it all.