XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Water Rail Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 04:58 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Water Rail Leak

Hi folks, as the title says we sprung a water rail leak in our 1996 Xj6 (X300). w 4.0 naturally asperated. I'm going to have some questions at the end here, but thought I'd tell you where we are presently. We've already removed the intake manifold and all that surrounded it. We took pictures as we went, so hopefully we'll figure it all out when re assembling. We plan on replacing any and all coolant and PCV hoses as I think the ones on the car are all original as none are black anymore. All are grey and feel limp. I thought this would be coming and so I had pre ordered a few hoses last year, but I had to just order the rest yesterday. We are also planning on replacing the water pump and thermostat (something else we already have w gaskets), so we'll be taking it further apart before starting to put it all together. The intake manifold was pretty bad inside. I've already cleaned out the it out with some wire brushes and the next stop is plastic brushes with some soap and water.

Some questions if anybody can assist?

1) Any suggestions one further cleaning the intake manifold?

2) The EGR passageways in the small EGR manifold were all completely clogged with soot. Packed like charcoal. It obviously hadn't worked in years. I noticed that the gasket for that is listed with or without a screen. I saw the picture of it. I don't think ours had a screen. Does this sound normal?

3) Some of the hoses look like I can replace using a standard hose (like 3/8" fuel rated hose). I also think I've read if mentioned here in these forums. But I cannot find the conversation again. What size hose(s) would be useful in this instance (1/4", 3/8", 1/2" or their metric equals)?

4) There is a spout of sorts coming off the oil dipstick tube but has no hose to it. I'm guessing it went to the PVC assembly, as there is a broken off hose on that. Does that sound correct?

5) Our original issue of the water rail leak appears to be because there were no gaskets installed. There was only some remnants of green "form-a-gasket" remaining. I've ordered two new gaskets which have arrived. In my earlier days of working on old chevy's I used to add a thin layer of gasket sealer on each side of the stock gasket when re installing. Should I do the same for these and the other gaskets (water pump and thermostat)? Never worked with an aluminum block before.

Thanks in advance. I know I'll have more questions as this job progresses.

Bobby

The following users liked this post:
TobyJag (08-05-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Best of luck with it, it's less than fun: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...engine-160640/
Sorry, I never followed up with pics of the fix and re-fitment.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 997 Likes on 676 Posts

The thermostat needs a gasket, do NOT use an O-ring or the housing tabs will break!

Cleaning out the EGR passages will make for smoother running. Did your car get the R493 EGR Update? If so you will have the sticker on the front crossmember. The ECU cycles the EGR valve after shut down to help keep it clean.

Time to replace the Octopus hose along with the DEVIL hose. Easy with the manifold off. Heater hoses are easier to reach too.

The breather hose is often fitted with an oil separator which will return blow-by to the crankcase via the dipstick tube inlet. Connect a new hose there.

You don't need any RTV gasket sealer, as long as your surfaces are smooth and clean. But I suppose you could still use a bit if it makes you feel better. Easier to do jobs in the future without old RTV on there. I think some gaskets already have a rubber sealing bead on them.

The following users liked this post:
cafe flyer (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 08:15 PM

Thanks to you both. Helpful information!

Bobby

Old 08-08-2021, 08:55 PM

About to install the water rail back onto the engine and have the connections cleaned up nice and flat. The new gaskets come with a gel on one side only. What side do those go against? Water rail or block?

Thanks!!

Bobby