XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Weird alarm problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Weird alarm problem.

Hi guys,
What is it with Jags of this generation? Seems to me that as soon as you fix one thing, something else breaks, lol
I have not yet found the time or resources to to take my steering column apart to do a fix that MAY solve a problem. THAT problem is that my alarm fobs work for an hour or so after I put new batteries in and do the correct valet switch routine to programme them. This being the case I set and un-set the alarm and door locks by using the key. I unlock the driver's door and the alarm starts to beep. It does that until I get the key into the ignition and turn it to the position just before the engine turns over.
But now I can't even do that.
When I put the key in the driver's door and unlock it (all the doors unlock) the alarm system starts to beep as normal. The problem is that it doesn't stop beeping at all. Not when all the dash lights come on. Not even when I turn the key back, remove it completely and then even go so far as to turn the key a little further to start the car. So the engine is running for maybe 2 minutes and the system is still beeping. I can't drive the car like this so any ideas what I can do?
Cheers,
Steve

Old 07-21-2012, 04:58 AM

OK, knowing that you guys would try to help if you could, I'm guessing that this must be a brand new problem.
Do I tell Jaguar UK or The Guinness Book of records ? lol

Old 07-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 5tevie
Hi guys,
What is it with Jags of this generation? Seems to me that as soon as you fix one thing, something else breaks, lol
I have not yet found the time or resources to to take my steering column apart to do a fix that MAY solve a problem. THAT problem is that my alarm fobs work for an hour or so after I put new batteries in and do the correct valet switch routine to programme them. This being the case I set and un-set the alarm and door locks by using the key. I unlock the driver's door and the alarm starts to beep. It does that until I get the key into the ignition and turn it to the position just before the engine turns over.
But now I can't even do that.
When I put the key in the driver's door and unlock it (all the doors unlock) the alarm system starts to beep as normal. The problem is that it doesn't stop beeping at all. Not when all the dash lights come on. Not even when I turn the key back, remove it completely and then even go so far as to turn the key a little further to start the car. So the engine is running for maybe 2 minutes and the system is still beeping. I can't drive the car like this so any ideas what I can do?
Cheers,
Steve
I had a somewhat similar situation which seemed to be linked to the fact that when I set up my new fob, I did so, using the ignition key which was used to set up the previous fob. Are you with me? Try setting each fob with a specific dedicated key and then keep them together as a set, same fob and associated key. Might help.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 AM

Hi, sogood.
I understand what you mean by that but I don't think it applies in my case. I have 2 keys and 2 alarm fobs (No separate Valet key) and they are held on their own keyrings so each key already matches the fob that goes with it.
Maybe I should try it the other way round and see what happens. What harm could it do?
Cheers,
Steve