XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Weird problems? Plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 02:17 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Weird problems? Plz help!

My car has been completely dying on me while I'm idle. Lights will go off randomly. Now today, I drove over a speed bump and my car wouldn't accelerate anymore. I turned the cat off then fired it back up. Everything seems fine but there isn't any aggressive accerlation at all, even if I heavy foot it. My left horn looking icon Is now displayed on my dash as well. My car feels like its slowly dragging. I haven't had a oil change in about 8000 miles and just keep re adding fluids. I also popped the hood open and see some leak from one of the hoses..smells like coolant. Anyone had this problem?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SRL1990
My car has been completely dying on me while I'm idle. Lights will go off randomly. Now today, I drove over a speed bump and my car wouldn't accelerate anymore. I turned the cat off then fired it back up. Everything seems fine but there isn't any aggressive accerlation at all, even if I heavy foot it. My left horn looking icon Is now displayed on my dash as well. My car feels like its slowly dragging. I haven't had a oil change in about 8000 miles and just keep re adding fluids. I also popped the hood open and see some leak from one of the hoses..smells like coolant. Anyone had this problem?
I haven't had any of the problems you describe, so here's my guess.

I believe the left horn looking icon is the transmission warning light. That would certainly account for the poor acceleration, since the transmission would be in "limp" mode. You might start with a transmission service, which is basically a transmission fluid change.

Any leaking hose should be changed promptly as it will only get worse. Most coolant hoses are a relatively easy DIY job, and not expensive. Far better than the eventual bursting of the hose and overheating the engine.

If you are using oil, it is either leaking or burning out. Although the book says to change oil at 7500 miles, I won't let mine go over 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first, and it doesn't use a drop between changes.

I feel the 4.0 engine is extremely reliable, but the routine servicing is essential to maintaining that reliability.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
SRL1990 (06-26-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Is the check engine light on as well? if so, do you have the trouble codes? If not, most auto parts stores can pull the codes for you. Any trouble codes would be helpful here.

That said.....

Hitting a bump and then having the car go haywire suggests a loose connection....somewhere. I can't really suggest any symptom-specific place to start looking but the battery cables and nearly wiring and relays are an easy place to start. Check them for cleanliness and tightness. With the engine running gently jiggle the cables, relays, and connectors and see if the car reacts in any way or the warning light goes out.

"If" it's a loose connection it could be just about anywhere.....transmission harness, fuse/relay boxes, engine bay.

Good luck
DD

The following users liked this post:
SRL1990 (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I let car sit for a whole day. Started her up today and everything is normal. Just need to fix that little leak. I do have the OBO code reader, I'll look into the check engine light. Also, what oil you guys recommend? Should I go for the mobile 1 10-40? Or can any other brand suffice? Sorry getting off topic here but do you guys run that gas/oil cleaner through the lines before you put gas/oil in? Like Marvel Mystery?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I let car sit for a whole day. Started her up today and everything is normal. Just need to fix that little leak. I do have the OBO code reader, I'll look into the check engine light. Also, what oil you guys recommend? Should I go for the mobile 1 10-40? Or can any other brand suffice? Sorry getting off topic here but do you guys run that gas/oil cleaner through the lines before you put gas/oil in? Like Marvel Mystery?

I use whatever name brand oil is on sale that day. Other opinions abound on that subject as well as additives/cleaners.

Others will chime in. Or search the archives for tons of discussion.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't think synthetic oil is necessary. I use name brand oil, and since the same shop does all my changes, it has been the same name brand since I've owned the car.

I agree that electrical connections could very easily lead to the problems you experienced. That said, I'd be more concerned about the transmission warning light, and would explore that a little farther than just connections.