XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What did you do to your X300 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,089 Posts

My local general household equipment rental store rents car buffers out for $ 20 a day . I'm in . I can already feel my shoulders . 120 volt . Harbor Freight I think has the pads and cutting polish. Would use a higher quality finish polish product . Right now I have striped the old wax off with multiple applications of strong laundry soap and a horse brush and let it sit for a while .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-05-2017 at 09:00 AM. Reason: edit
The following users liked this post:
marksteiger (06-04-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 02:35 AM
Received 351 Likes on 224 Posts

today, washed the Daimler 6 twice - after the first time, I had to park under a tree with birds...

the XJR is at the panelbeater's, while they hunt for all the panels to repair it after my frontal crash 2 weeks ago. I think it will be repaired but don't have the final answer yet (dependant on the parts...)
If the XJR is repaired it will need a front-half respray, so I have asked for a quote for the extra cost of respraying the whole car.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ
...........If the XJR is repaired it will need a front-half respray, so I have asked for a quote for the extra cost of respraying the whole car.
Given the chance of a full respray, will you change the colour, and if so which one?

Old 06-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

If I had the money my choice would be this color with the plastic chrome mirrors and door handles . But prefer an dark or medium burgundy red . Candy apple red would be cool which is the color I believe in the pic. My Sovereign has the real chrome around all the windows and real chrome around the plastic engine grill slats with the leaper Jaguar hood ornament . The Jaguar " long box " lettering only front laminated showroom plate is in the works from the print shop ( Staples / Office Max ) . 1/2 the original size as this will be a subtle yet sophisticated way for my Lady Penelope to say " Yes , I am a Jaguar bitches , and you are not " as she graces the roads that other cars simply roll on . The middle car trim molding will be a challenge to convert over with plastic chrome / aluminum tape product . I will be striping the clearcoat off of the wheels with " aircraft " strength paint stripper to get to bare metal to polish out and re clearcoat .

Thanks , Parker

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X300 today?-2215-500x373.jpg   What did you do to your X300 today?-jaguar-logo-plate-untitled.png  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-05-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Qvhk
Given the chance of a full respray, will you change the colour, and if so which one?

Properly changing out the color on a car is a huge leap in expense over just respraying the entire car the same color.

The car practically has to be taken apart, engine removed, etc to effectively change the color.

But yes, if you are already repainting the whole front clip of the car, it probably wouldn't be much more to respray the rest the existing color as a lot of the cost these days is the paint itself and they have to buy a minimum amount anyway.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 351 Likes on 224 Posts

I'll stick with the navy metallic blue colour. I like it.
I will probably ask them to get a bumper without the headlight washers - they spoil the look of the car, to me.
Also I will probably not put the leaper back on - as much as I like it, I prefer the look of the X300 without a bonnet ornament

Old 06-05-2017, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

I will probably ask them to get a bumper without the headlight washers - they spoil the look of the car, to me.
Also I will probably not put the leaper back on - as much as I like it, I prefer the look of the X300 without a bonnet ornament
I don't think you'll need a completely different bumper to delete the headlight washers, just the stainless bumper trim without the holes.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Leaper is what distinguishes the Jag from other cars.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aacpa15215
Not overseas since the 90s and earlier in many cases. The "leaper" and other "pedestrian impalers" has been illegal in many countries for many years, and on the sport varieties like the XJS, XK8, "Sport" and "XJR" there isn't a leaper overseas.

But yes, I am a fan of the leaper in most cases as it certainly is very distinctive and Jaguar

Old 06-07-2017, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by aacpa15215
I'm a huge fan of the leaper, and don't think I'd want a Jag without one....however, I disagree that it distinguishes Jags from other cars. It's the overall styling that distinguishes....or it used to be. If you slapped a leaper on the bonnet of ANY of the new offerings from JLR/Tata, then yeah, I'd agree, that it distinguishes them, because nothing ELSE does!

I can be in bumper-to-bumper traffic with XF's and new XJ's and I don't even notice they are Jags until I happen to spot the emblem on the bootlid or something. I still maintain JLR make some of the nicest looking Honda's I've ever seen!

Old 06-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

made a smoke tool for checking vacum leaks,got car operational again

Old 06-08-2017, 03:42 AM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Not overseas since the 90s and earlier in many cases. The "leaper" and other "pedestrian impalers" has been illegal in many countries for many years, and on the sport varieties like the XJS, XK8, "Sport" and "XJR" there isn't a leaper overseas.

But yes, I am a fan of the leaper in most cases as it certainly is very distinctive and Jaguar

Just my two cents for what it worth, I also feel my XJ6 wouldn't be a Jag without the leaper, If I didn't already have one it would be the first thing I'd fix. I have no idea if it was included at production, added by Aust Jag Dealer or by a previous owner? Actually while on the subject maybe one of you guys could clear something up for me, I drive a base 95 X300 however it is fitted with the deep dish alloy wheels that came out with the sports model and also has the Black coloured window trim that again came out with the sports model. I have no idea if these were dealer options or upgrades by previous owners,

Old 06-08-2017, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I'm a huge fan of the leaper, and don't think I'd want a Jag without one....however, I disagree that it distinguishes Jags from other cars. It's the overall styling that distinguishes....or it used to be. If you slapped a leaper on the bonnet of ANY of the new offerings from JLR/Tata, then yeah, I'd agree, that it distinguishes them, because nothing ELSE does!

I can be in bumper-to-bumper traffic with XF's and new XJ's and I don't even notice they are Jags until I happen to spot the emblem on the bootlid or something. I still maintain JLR make some of the nicest looking Honda's I've ever seen!
You guys are right on. What happened to Jaguar? I had a guy come over to me when I was refilling my XJ6 and say, "Now that looks like a Jaguar". We had a nice conversation after that. I parked right next to a new XF and I didn't know what it was a first. I agree about the leaper for the four door. But the XK8 didn't come with one. There was a discussion a while back about putting one on that car. It was almost the start of WWIII. One driver posted a picture with his XK8 that had one on it. Just didn't look right. My wife wanted one but the answer was NO. I still have to fix my own dinner.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:28 AM
Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts

I believe all US X300 Jag sedan's came with a leaper, just a guess. My VDP came with the chrome leaper & a "gold" growler on top of the grill. I knew the car from new and the PO surely didn't change it, go figure.

Last edited by 44lawrence; 06-08-2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 06-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Fixed my problem (I hope) with difficult starting due to low fuel pressure. Turns out to be a shorting fuel pump relay. Swapped out the relay and things appear to be fine once again. Trust this is the final solution

Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

What I found on mine was that since the RS3 ( fwd of ECU ) connector was damaged not allowing the fuel pump relay control signal # 22 Pink / Brown wire ( pulling coil ) to get back to the trunk the previous owner had utilized the nearby trunk accessory relay ( not controlled by the ECU but controlled " on " with key " on " ) with a very poor pump power wire twist splice . The cheap electrical tape glue had migrated through the years into the treads of the wiring contact surfaces causing poor contact and the power to the pump to be intermittent sans engine . Had to rebuild by bypassing with environmental splices all the wires around the RS3 connector ( connector was damaged beyond repair ) to get back to the original factory configuration and transfer the power wire back to the proper pump relay . Pump works fine now . The LS3 connector is next but down my list . The accessory relay can be utilized but with a proper splice practice .

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X300 today?-rs3-fff-untitled.png  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-08-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by SFPat
Fixed my problem (I hope) with difficult starting due to low fuel pressure. Turns out to be a shorting fuel pump relay. Swapped out the relay and things appear to be fine once again. Trust this is the final solution
Maybe....but that is also symptomatic of a failing fuel pump.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

going to take it to the paint shop,someone scratched the boot and cracked the rear glass, hopefully the insurance will help

Old 06-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope this isn't true as it might force me to finally scrap the cat. My wife wants me to get something newer

Old 06-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by SFPat
I hope this isn't true as it might force me to finally scrap the cat. My wife wants me to get something newer
Replacing the fuel pump shouldn't come close IMHO to reaching a "scrapping" decision.

If this is a NA XJ6, then you just have one pump, if a SC XJR then you have two pumps. I haven't replaced the pump on an X300 yet, but I see on Rock Auto that the price is from $50 to $150, with most about $75.

Now, replacing the pump(s) "by the book" is a chore as it requires removing the fuel tank, but is still very DIY capable.

However, if you search the forum for threads on this topic, you'll find an alternate approach of cutting a small access panel in the rear package shelf (under the covering) that eliminates the need to remove the tank entirely and makes it a much simpler job.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X300 today?