XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What did you do to your X300 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 06:07 PM
Received 221 Likes on 140 Posts

If you would like less then a face full of oil in your face during the oil filter change try this, Put vehicle up on jacks or hoist, Allow to sit over night. Either change oil filter or engine oil first. Does not matter which one. For what ever reason, You will find the oil filter nearly bone dry. I don't know why.

Thank you.

Larry Louton

The following users liked this post:
MikeyB10 (04-23-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 03:23 PM
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Today I found and repaired this rodent-damaged wiring. For those of you with your wiring diagrams handy, this is the outside half of bulkhead connector RS3. It's at the bottom of the right hand front fender.

The following 3 users liked this post by ThosMa:
944play (04-24-2021), cafe flyer (04-25-2021), Doug (04-25-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 05:00 PM
Received 260 Likes on 193 Posts
Old 04-25-2021, 01:03 AM
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

I brought my 1997 X330 (XJ6L) home today. This is such a wonderful automobile! I wish that I had bought one of these years ago.

The following 5 users liked this post by captainobvious1:
cafe flyer (04-25-2021), Doug (04-25-2021), Mkii250 (05-01-2021), NerijusHawk (04-26-2021), SleekJag12 (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Originally Posted by captainobvious1
I brought my 1997 X330 (XJ6L) home today. This is such a wonderful automobile! I wish that I had bought one of these years ago.
That's the exact same thought I had 24 years ago when I bought my first Jag. :-)

Cheers
DD

cafe flyer (04-26-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 03:32 PM

The "old school cool" si something quite special. This was when men that desired a luxurious car with enough power to get out of its own way were popular. Today, it seems to be nothing but "techno-whiz" gadgets as well as "I can perform your parking for you" self-driving manipulation. I prefer to employ my own skills and use my brain as God intended. As was frequently repeated in the old pain reliever commercials, "I'd rather do it myself."

"I have the ability to engage in highly refined critical thinking, therefore I can drive." - Captain Obvious.

It works for me!

cafe flyer (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 07:59 AM
Received 86 Likes on 40 Posts

Silver 1995 XJ: finished rebuilding, installing, and testing the RH front harness. Plus fixing a broken connector inside the plug that powers the windshield washer motor, and re-soldering leads for washer fluid level sensor. Replaced all fluid lines with new tubing, soaked and cleaned the windshield spray heads, spray-painted the black plastic cover that holds the spray nozzles, de-commissioned the one-way valve in the fluid line which was pretty stingy (will retrofit w a cheap GM valve from Amazon and see how that works). In the meantime, all the lights work, and I have four quite vigorous streams aimed at the proper spots on the windshield for the first time ever. Only warning light left on Silver XJ is the SRS Airbag, will order some clips and resistors and take a weekend to work through that sometime in the next month. 40-minute shakedown cruise on the interstate yesterday, no warning lights or weird noises, 90mph was a smooth happy ride.

Red 1996 VPD: Installed low-profile cabinet door magnets for the armrest/cupholder assembly covering the center console... no more wrestling with the broken latch mechanism! Took a few hours of amateur fitting and fabrication, but its a much stronger close/hold system than before. Missed a key element of front shock damper install a few weeks ago, and a metallic clanking noise on high frequency bumps (washboard on gravel roads, common in northern new mexico) was diagnosed and fixed by my 18-year old son, laughing at me in a nice way the whole time - I forgot the metal washer that goes just above the boot on the upper part of the shock damper, so after a few weeks I had lost all high-frequency damping. Fixed both sides late last night, and we celebrated with a run to the local convenience store/gas station at 10pm... car glides over the washboard now; brilliant! Also took my 5 year old daughter to her violin lesson in the car on Saturday - nothing like a five year old saying "lets take the red jag!" and enjoying the pretentiousness of arriving on-site in the red car and unloading her and her violin. I felt much classier than my roots and upbringing normally allow.

The following 4 users liked this post by cafe flyer:
b1mcp (04-28-2021), Cafcpete (04-26-2021), captainobvious1 (04-27-2021), JudgeGeoff (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 12:35 AM

I had four LED cob "bulbs" installed in my headlamp reflectors today. These "light up the night" better than any Halogen bulb ever did! I avoided the "blue" (8000K) cob units, because the 6000K "white" light provides greater visibility and increases the road sign and obstacles better than ever before. LED cob units last ten times longer than Halogen lamps and also draw less current. (It is a win-win-win any way you slice it). These "bulbs" were engineered for the X300 models to not blind oncoming drivers. I would heartily recommend LED cob units for any modern vehicle.
Both personal and public safety is imperative, isn't it?

cafe flyer (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 05:00 AM
Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Good day!
I am changing bearings and seals at the moment and cant remember which direction inner hub seal goes in...I think " A " is correct one...but I need to check...

P.S where I can find torque specifications for all suspension bolts?

Old 04-27-2021, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by NerijusHawk
Good day!
I am changing bearings and seals at the moment and cant remember which direction inner hub seal goes in...I think " A " is correct one...but I need to check...

P.S where I can find torque specifications for all suspension bolts?
Check out section 11 of Service Manual (second edition, page 267... I have this printed out for my own reference):

Last edited by cafe flyer; 04-27-2021 at 10:13 AM.
NerijusHawk (04-27-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 04:18 PM
Default Out of the mouths of babes...

Originally Posted by cafe flyer
Silver 1995 XJ: finished rebuilding, installing, and testing the RH front harness. Plus fixing a broken connector inside the plug that powers the windshield washer motor, and re-soldering leads for washer fluid level sensor. Replaced all fluid lines with new tubing, soaked and cleaned the windshield spray heads, spray-painted the black plastic cover that holds the spray nozzles, de-commissioned the one-way valve in the fluid line which was pretty stingy (will retrofit w a cheap GM valve from Amazon and see how that works). In the meantime, all the lights work, and I have four quite vigorous streams aimed at the proper spots on the windshield for the first time ever. Only warning light left on Silver XJ is the SRS Airbag, will order some clips and resistors and take a weekend to work through that sometime in the next month. 40-minute shakedown cruise on the interstate yesterday, no warning lights or weird noises, 90mph was a smooth happy ride.

Red 1996 VPD: Installed low-profile cabinet door magnets for the armrest/cupholder assembly covering the center console... no more wrestling with the broken latch mechanism! Took a few hours of amateur fitting and fabrication, but its a much stronger close/hold system than before. Missed a key element of front shock damper install a few weeks ago, and a metallic clanking noise on high-frequency bumps (washboard on gravel roads, common in northern New Mexico) was diagnosed and fixed by my 18-year old son, laughing at me in a nice way the whole time - I forgot the metal washer that goes just above the boot on the upper part of the shock damper, so after a few weeks I had lost all high-frequency damping. Fixed both sides late last night, and we celebrated with a run to the local convenience store/gas station at 10 pm... car glides over the washboard now; brilliant! Also took my 5-year-old daughter to her violin lesson in the car on Saturday - nothing like a five-year-old saying "let's take the red jag!" and enjoying the pretentiousness of arriving on-site in the red car and unloading her and her violin. I felt much classier than my roots and upbringing normally allow.
The five-year-old should enjoy the lovely automobile that isn't really "conspicuous consumption" but enjoying the inherent value of these special vehicles. There's nothing wrong, or egotistical about using what you have. It isn't a Rolls-Royce, so don't worry about the perception of "excessive opulence"... it is just a matter of both good judgement and good taste.

cafe flyer (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 12:16 AM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Who cares if something is seen as opulent or ostentatious ,the only people who think that are purely jealous and I don’t give two monkeys about people like that 👌🏻

The following 2 users liked this post by X300exec:
cafe flyer (04-29-2021), captainobvious1 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 12:44 AM
Thumbs up I agree, brother.

Originally Posted by X300exec
Who cares if something is seen as opulent or ostentatious. The only people who think that are purely jealous and I don’t give two monkeys about people like that 👌🏻
You have that right. This is why I dress well when I head out the door. When I look good, I feel good. So many people dress like slobs. I'd rather be thought of as a "sharp-dressed man" than as some half-baked slob in sweats. They can take a long walk off a short pier.

The following 2 users liked this post by captainobvious1:
cafe flyer (04-29-2021), NerijusHawk (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 12:50 AM

You have that right. This is why I dress well when I head out the door. When I look good, I feel good. So many people dress like slobs. I'd rather be thought of as a "sharp-dressed man" than as some half-baked slob in sweats. They can take a long walk off a short pier.
i wear dungarees and a vest at work all week so when I go out I dress like the titled gentleman that I am 👌🏻

The following 2 users liked this post by X300exec:
cafe flyer (04-29-2021), captainobvious1 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 06:58 AM
Thumbs up

i wear dungarees and a vest at work all week so when I go out I dress like the titled gentleman that I am 👌🏻
Very good. In the US, there are so many that refuse to dress as adults (torn "skinny jeans" and all that "stylish" rubbish). I prefer to be viewed as the educated person I am. Casual clothing is overrated. Dressing with a bit of dignity is far better and reflects breeding. Some people never seem to understand this. You refuse to look as if you are a rag picker. Thank God for that. There aren't many of us left, are there?

Old 04-29-2021, 08:07 AM

Very good. In the US, there are so many that refuse to dress as adults (torn "skinny jeans" and all that "stylish" rubbish). I prefer to be viewed as the educated person I am. Casual clothing is overrated. Dressing with a bit of dignity is far better and reflects breeding. Some people never seem to understand this. You refuse to look as if you are a rag picker. Thank God for that. There aren't many of us left, are there?

my weekend attire lol

cafe flyer (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 12:28 PM

my weekend attire lol
Clever.

X300exec (05-02-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

I opened my trunk with a battery booster. Seized lock and flat car battery.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mkii250:
Cafcpete (05-02-2021), captainobvious1 (05-02-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 10:15 PM

Silver 1995 XJ6 - Tried the wheel polishing method here on one wheel; loved the write-up, spot on w method and materials. Pics below. I like the dimple wheels in high polish! Re-hung loose driver and passenger door cards, and of course found some funky-a** wiring that made no sense; I believe the driver door lock mechanism was hard to turn or worn out, so instead of replacing it they cut the harness (@PD3) inside the driver door and ran two wires to the passenger side so that you could use THAT lock instead. Or something. I still need to finish tracing those wires... but set the alarm off enough to elevate my pulse the remainder of the day. Found that the front Driver side rotor was missing a set screw, and my stabilizer arm bushings were crunchy... new ones on the way.

Red 1996 VDP - Found (finally!) some matching leather dye from these folks, and got very close to the color of my oatmeal seats. But I need to look at the intake and exhaust manifolds and pull the upstream (some say downstream?) O2 sensor on the front bank since (gulp) it threw a CEL at me, P0420. Dammit. Will save that for next weekend maybe. The engine on this one always sounded different enough from the Silver 1995 to make me suspect a slight exhaust leak, so now I need to dig in.

original condition

looking shiny!

on the car... very nice

The following 2 users liked this post by cafe flyer:
captainobvious1 (05-02-2021), Mkii250 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 11:21 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cafe flyer
Silver 1995 XJ6 - Tried the wheel polishing method here on one wheel; loved the write-up, spot on w method and materials. Pics below. I like the dimple wheels in high polish! Re-hung loose driver and passenger door cards, and of course found some funky-a** wiring that made no sense; I believe the driver door lock mechanism was hard to turn or worn out, so instead of replacing it they cut the harness (@PD3) inside the driver door and ran two wires to the passenger side so that you could use THAT lock instead. Or something. I still need to finish tracing those wires... but set the alarm off enough to elevate my pulse the remainder of the day. Found that the front Driver side rotor was missing a set screw, and my stabilizer arm bushings were crunchy... new ones on the way.

Red 1996 VDP - Found (finally!) some matching leather dye from these folks, and got very close to the color of my oatmeal seats. But I need to look at the intake and exhaust manifolds and pull the upstream (some say downstream?) O2 sensor on the front bank since (gulp) it threw a CEL at me, P0420. Dammit. Will save that for next weekend maybe. The engine on this one always sounded different enough from the Silver 1995 to make me suspect a slight exhaust leak, so now I need to dig in.

original condition

looking shiny!

on the car... very nice
I like the wheels. Beautiful job! Keep it looking that way, brother.

cafe flyer (05-03-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X300 today?