XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What did you do to your X300 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 11:23 AM
Received 86 Likes on 40 Posts

glad the growler is not covered with paint anymore - will help on the concours I am sure

Old 05-26-2022, 02:26 PM
Received 212 Likes on 112 Posts

The car looks perfect. You’re making me want to get my bumpers re-painted and get the nicks and dents fixed.
It deserves a trophy

Old 06-05-2022, 07:17 PM
Received 468 Likes on 269 Posts

Fitted new boot badges today!

These are getting rarer and the Executive badge is no longer available, only the inserts show up on ebay occasionally. As mine was pitted, I've ordered a complete Sovereign badge, removed the Sov insert and stuck Executive one in there
Removing old badges is relatively easy but removing old tape is not. I've used a plastic scrapper and lots of IPA alcohol. Took ~30minutes to get to clean paint.

The following 3 users liked this post by katar83:
cafe flyer (06-06-2022), labcoatguy (06-06-2022), SKRTSKRTXJR6 (06-06-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 10:34 AM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Not quite today, but I proudly exhibited it as the only Jaguar to make an appearance at Radwood Greenwich on Saturday.

It also caught the eye of automotive commentator Mike Spinelli.
View this post on Instagram

The following 3 users liked this post by labcoatguy:
Cafcpete (06-08-2022), SKRTSKRTXJR6 (06-08-2022), SleekJag12 (06-08-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 995 Likes on 676 Posts

Finally, the upgraded head unit is installed! Bought it over a year ago. Sony MEX-5300. Works great! Single disc CD. So the 6CD-stacker is retired too (although was still working). Wired to the factory trunk amp using the Sony's low-level outputs. Adjustable lighting matches perfectly. Last year I removed the blue covers on the A/C temperature bulbs to get a bright incandescent display, and covered the broken clock. I finally have a new clock too!

It is pretty exciting to have a new piece of TECH in the car. I have played my first bluetooth digital music through it via my phone (Rush: Clockwork Angels).

The old head unit froze up for the final time last month. No functions at all. I could force it on with a cassette tape, but it would spit that out after a few minutes. It never came back to life again like it had many times before. But it did 27 years of service, half of it with me. So now it goes into the car stereo "Hall of Fame."

The following users liked this post:
Cafcpete (06-23-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 05:52 PM
Received 377 Likes on 218 Posts

Diff Oil Change.

When I first bought my car it had over 140,000 miles on it and occasionally after I drove it I thought I could smell the distinctive aroma of very hot diff oil so thought that I'd investigate and in any case change the oil.

Up with the car and out with the fill plug and then the drain plug and maybe a little less than half the fill quantity came out and it was black. Oh dear, I thought that it wouldn't be long before I would be having diff problems. Anyhow I refilled it and drove it for years until yesterday, another 80,000+ miles, with no running problems and nothing but but a little oil dampness around one of the output shafts. Lucky from what I've heard.

So yesterday I did a diff refill and the oil that came out was a dark translucent colour, but not black, and there was very little metal sludge on the magnet on the drain plug, again lucky.

After reading some horror stories about cars needing a diff rebuild or at least an output shaft replacement after a lot less mileage than my car has I consider myself very lucky in that regard.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Last edited by watto700; 06-24-2022 at 05:54 PM.
Cafcpete (06-25-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 433 Likes on 281 Posts

ok so this is not exactly a WHAT I DID TO MY CAR TODAY, per se, but a culmintion of what i have done to my kitty in recent times.

I would have posted here last when i upgraded to LED headlight units.
so i have recently repaired my heater pump,
i have installed a really nice android based head unit, with bluetooth obdII, reverse camera, DAB+, 4G (with sim card for internet access), TPMS, all the fancy bells and whistles.
and then probably done a few other little bits and pieces too.
will upload some pics later on today or tommorrow after a wash.

NOW THIS PART IS A TODAY
oh the funniest thing tho,
ever since i first got my kitty, the headlining trim piece (small one toward the back) of the sunroof has been missing leaving exposed some of the roof. it has always been unsightly as you could imagine.
now the other day when i was forced to brake hard i noticed the noise of something banging around a bit. could not find what it was and had no idea.
now yesterday when i went around a corner and over a speedbump i heard another bang, and it sounded like it came from behind me,
so for some reason i reached up into the gap in the headlining from where the missing trim piece was and felt around a bit.
and then i felt something....
something hard and covered in soft material.....
so when i got home i had a good feel and bamn....
there was the missing sunroof trim piece.....
just floating around inside the roof.....
took it out...
put it back in place and now the interior looks a million times better just from that one piece.

question isa tho does it secure in place or does it just kin of sit there? cus it doesn't feel secured to me but moves properly when sunroof is opened and closed.

Last edited by Spud Maat; 08-19-2022 at 08:09 PM.
SleekJag12 (08-23-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by watto700
Diff Oil Change.

When I first bought my car it had over 140,000 miles on it and occasionally after I drove it I thought I could smell the distinctive aroma of very hot diff oil so thought that I'd investigate and in any case change the oil.

Up with the car and out with the fill plug and then the drain plug and maybe a little less than half the fill quantity came out and it was black. Oh dear, I thought that it wouldn't be long before I would be having diff problems. Anyhow I refilled it and drove it for years until yesterday, another 80,000+ miles, with no running problems and nothing but but a little oil dampness around one of the output shafts. Lucky from what I've heard.

So yesterday I did a diff refill and the oil that came out was a dark translucent colour, but not black, and there was very little metal sludge on the magnet on the drain plug, again lucky.

After reading some horror stories about cars needing a diff rebuild or at least an output shaft replacement after a lot less mileage than my car has I consider myself very lucky in that regard.

Cheers,
Jeff.
Cleaned the upper breather / fill plug as this is the source of the Diff pressurizing and blowing oil out a weak bearing seal until you have a lack of oil damage to the output bearing ( s )

Weight and brand of Diff oil ?

Old 08-20-2022, 05:45 PM

G'day Parker,

I used an Australian brand which satisfies the Jaguar spec, this stuff below.

It comes in a 1 litre squeeze pack with a screw on fitting and a piece of clear delivery hose, I needed to use a longer piece of hose.

Cheers,
Jeff.

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/ge...fferential-oil

Old 08-20-2022, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 807 Posts

Cleaning the screen on the filler / breather plug is important to not letting the differential pressurize when it warms up

Old 08-20-2022, 09:22 PM
Received 223 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Spud Maat
ok so this is not exactly a WHAT I DID TO MY CAR TODAY, per se, but a culmintion of what i have done to my kitty in recent times.

I would have posted here last when i upgraded to LED headlight units.
so i have recently repaired my heater pump,
i have installed a really nice android based head unit, with bluetooth obdII, reverse camera, DAB+, 4G (with sim card for internet access), TPMS, all the fancy bells and whistles.
and then probably done a few other little bits and pieces too.
will upload some pics later on today or tommorrow after a wash.

NOW THIS PART IS A TODAY
oh the funniest thing tho,
ever since i first got my kitty, the headlining trim piece (small one toward the back) of the sunroof has been missing leaving exposed some of the roof. it has always been unsightly as you could imagine.
now the other day when i was forced to brake hard i noticed the noise of something banging around a bit. could not find what it was and had no idea.
now yesterday when i went around a corner and over a speedbump i heard another bang, and it sounded like it came from behind me,
so for some reason i reached up into the gap in the headlining from where the missing trim piece was and felt around a bit.
and then i felt something....
something hard and covered in soft material.....
so when i got home i had a good feel and bamn....
there was the missing sunroof trim piece.....
just floating around inside the roof.....
took it out...
put it back in place and now the interior looks a million times better just from that one piece.

question isa tho does it secure in place or does it just kin of sit there? cus it doesn't feel secured to me but moves properly when sunroof is opened and closed.
It moves to allow you to access the sunroof. It will pop in place and if you need to get to the roof just push it back and it will disengage. Need to make sure you get it in the right place because the roof will not open until it is.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cdma
It moves to allow you to access the sunroof. It will pop in place and if you need to get to the roof just push it back and it will disengage. Need to make sure you get it in the right place because the roof will not open until it is.
the roof does open and close correctly so it must be sitting in the right place. I just would have thought it would clip or lock in place a little better. It kinda feels like it could potentially just fall out of place if driving on a bumpy road. Maybe thats jut me tho cus i have never seen how it should be properly

Old 08-21-2022, 12:41 AM

"Cleaning the screen on the filler / breather plug is important to not letting the differential pressurize when it warms up"

Reply to Parker.

Yup, I did all that.
Cheers,
Jeff.

Parker 7 (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 02:03 AM

G'day Spud,

The rear sunroof trim panel is actually a drain to catch any sunroof leaks from the rear of the outer panel and direct it to the drain tubes. There are four drain tubes, two at the front of the roof mechanism and two at the rear.

The rear trim panel rides on a drain channel support fitting, one at each side, which is connected to the tilt/slide mechanism and it should slide backwards and forwards with the sunroof as it operates. Unfortunately the channel supports are weak and break and are as rare as rocking horse ****. The relevant P/Ns for the drain supports are RHS HNB1774RA and LHS HNB1775AA but good luck finding any.

If you open the sunroof to the tilt position you can then grab the rear of the main trim panel and give it a sharp tug backwards and remove it, it is only spring clipped into position. You will then have access to the metal sunroof panel, it is held on with 6 torx bolts, three eacch side. With the inner and outer panels removed you can now see how the whole thing operates.

There are a couple of forum members who are 3D printing various sunroof bits and if you do a ‘sunroof’ forum search you will find a mine of information and some relevant TSBs and lots of discussion on how this contraption is supposed to work and how to fix it.

Cheers,

Jeff.

Last edited by watto700; 08-21-2022 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2022, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by watto700
G'day Spud,

The rear sunroof trim panel is actually a drain to catch any sunroof leaks from the rear of the outer panel and direct it to the drain tubes. There are four drain tubes, two at the front of the roof mechanism and two at the rear.

The rear trim panel rides on a drain channel support fitting, one at each side, which is connected to the tilt/slide mechanism and it should slide backwards and forwards with the sunroof as it operates. Unfortunately the channel supports are weak and break and are as rare as rocking horse ****. The relevant P/Ns for the drain supports are RHS HNB1774RA and LHS HNB1775AA but good luck finding any.

If you open the sunroof to the tilt position you can then grab the rear of the main trim panel and give it a sharp tug backwards and remove it, it is only spring clipped into position. You will then have access to the metal sunroof panel, it is held on with 6 torx bolts, three eacch side. With the inner and outer panels removed you can now see how the whole thing operates.

There are a couple of forum members who are 3D printing various sunroof bits and if you do a ‘sunroof’ forum search you will find a mine of information and some relevant TSBs and lots of discussion on how this contraption is supposed to work and how to fix it.

Cheers,

Jeff.
awesome, thanks for the info. i love learning more and more about different parts of the old girl.
will look at it at some point but in no hurry on this one.
atm it is operating correctly so all is good atleast for now.

Old 08-21-2022, 04:14 PM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Fitted a proper OEM valve cover gasket and applied anaerobic gasket maker to everything. FINALLY, no oil leaks on top! We'll see how long this lasts.

Last edited by labcoatguy; 08-22-2022 at 09:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by labcoatguy:
Cafcpete (08-21-2022), Parker 7 (08-21-2022), SleekJag12 (08-23-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member

changed the 02 sensors today.
what a right royal pain in the ***.
i went and bought a 17mm crows foot to help with getting them but it was not enough room to get the crows foot on easily.
but my god running the wires round the back of the engine is an absolute nightmare.
job that i would have liked to take half an hour ended up taking me like 3 hours of fart assing around

Old 08-28-2022, 02:48 AM
Received 193 Likes on 106 Posts

Attached is photo of my solution to the location of the 02 sensor connectors.
They are attached to a bracket on the master cylinder, the connector labelled A is for Bank A cylinders 1-2-3 so of course the other is for Bank B, cylinders 4-5-6.
Just as a matter of interest it was not a 3 hour job to relocate them and I have completed a complete change of sensors in under an hour using a normal open end spanner.
I can sense you love working on Jaguars -

John Herbert
(1996 XJR )

The following 3 users liked this post by John Herbert:
Cafcpete (08-28-2022), Sheff928 (08-29-2022), Spud Maat (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member

I had seen a mention of a plug relocation.
In hindsight this would have been a very good idea. that looks like a really smart idea.
Oh well, its done for now and i will bear this in mind for next time the job comes up.

is that your transmission dipstick on the drivers side? why is that there?

I really do love working on the kitty, the problem is just how long some jobs seem to take. maybe one day I will get everything done but it seems the to-do list grows longer before I can get it shorter.
I really need more time to allocate to working on it.
I would love to say its a nice relaxing hobby but damn it gets frustrating from time to time
It is a really good hobby that brings me a lot of joy everytime I complete a job, and everytime I get in and drive the girl.

Old 08-28-2022, 04:08 AM
Received 193 Likes on 106 Posts

Vehicle is an XJR ( Supercharged) hence fitted with a GM 4L80-E transmission and dipstick is on the right side. The V12 X300 is also fitted with the same transmission, primarily to cope with the increased torque these two engines produce.

John Herbert
( 1996 XJR )

The following 2 users liked this post by John Herbert:
Bill Mac (08-28-2022), Spud Maat (08-28-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X300 today?