XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

what to do about this mess

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 03:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question what to do about this mess

Recently i remove the center console and everything else in the middle of the front seats so i could get in there and clean up all the spilt pop and cigarette ashes left by the previous owner. It is filthy! Upon doing that, i was about to unhook the mode switch(the switch with the S N on it). I'm not able to do that because the connector is surrounded by goo or something. Anyone know how to handle this? Do i buy a new connector or try to clean it? Also a lot of the other wires under there are dirty. Anyone know the best way to clean up wires? I'm trying to attach pictures to give a better idea of what I'm talking about. Also there's a white multilock 070 under tyne that looks like has burned up. Can you buy these connectors anywhere? I appreciate any help i can get. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails what to do about this mess-20150610_203542.jpg   what to do about this mess-20150610_203454.jpg  
Old 06-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi SalP3082,

I found the same goo-wrap stuff on my S/N connector when I first disconnected it quite some time ago. As I recall it was pretty difficult and quite messy to get off. I just pulled, peeled, and rolled the stuff until it was finally all off. I did have some paper towels and old rags to help keep the mess from getting anywhere else.

Bob

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-18-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 10,475 Likes on 6,918 Posts

As Bob said ++

Time is the key here.

Some HOT soapy water on a cotton towel (damp only) will help with the "pop" stuff.

No idea on that connector, never noticed in on mine.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

The "goo" is the remains of the "EPDM like" foam that auto manufacturers used for a decade or more that after some years deteriorates into the "goo" you are seeing. The foam tape was meant to cushion things like connectors or plastic parts to eliminate rattles. One finds that foam goo across a wide range of manufacturers including my Buicks and Honda.

It turns to a sort of tar-like putty and usually just rolling and rubbing gets it off. You might be able to use some sort of mineral spirits, but I haven't tried that yet. I often just ignore the mess and leave it alone....

The connector itself should be fine. If the goo is inside the connector, you might try an electronic connector cleaner to see if it will dissolve it. I suspect it will.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-18-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Once you get most of it off, apply some vegetable oil to the surface.

This prevents the remain goo from readhering to the surface as you
try to roll/scrape it off.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:54 AM

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Yep i picked and rolled and sure enough it eventually came off. I pretty much have the area cleaned up now but i came across a couple more things i have questions about(imagine that, right? )lol. I found what appears to be a phone jack and also a thick black wire with like a cork like end on it. I'm gonna attach a pic. What are these things and should i just leave them alone? Also I'm gonna attach another pick of what looks like a ground wire. I say that cause its black and one end of it is attached to a screw that is screwed into the frame of the car. This is also under the center console. Well the other end is just floating around not attached to anything. I see a screw with nothing attached to it back behind where the radio unit would be. Should the wire be hooked to this? Hopefully the pictures will better explain.

Attached Thumbnails what to do about this mess-ph.jpg   what to do about this mess-20150615_172720.jpg  
Old 06-19-2015, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by salP3082
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Yep i picked and rolled and sure enough it eventually came off. I pretty much have the area cleaned up now but i came across a couple more things i have questions about(imagine that, right? )lol. I found what appears to be a phone jack and also a thick black wire with like a cork like end on it. I'm gonna attach a pic. What are these things and should i just leave them alone? Also I'm gonna attach another pick of what looks like a ground wire. I say that cause its black and one end of it is attached to a screw that is screwed into the frame of the car. This is also under the center console. Well the other end is just floating around not attached to anything. I see a screw with nothing attached to it back behind where the radio unit would be. Should the wire be hooked to this? Hopefully the pictures will better explain.

1) The "phone" (modular) jack is just that, the cable for the in-car phone that was an option. Just leave it.

2) The black cord with the "cork"? I'm not sure, but from the photo it looks like an antenna cable. If it is, it may also have been for the phone option. I don't recall seeing that cable in my console, but it may be in mine as well.

3) Yes the flat black wire with the flat eyelet is supposed to be bolted to the rear of your factory radio. The radio has a stud with a nut that this ground cable attaches to.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:10 AM

Alright again thanks for the help. I got everything under there cleaned up and put back together. I ended up breaking the front middle wood piece that goes around the middle vent. Well its not broke but the clips that clip it to the vent broke. But the vent it's self is broke so i gotta replace that anyway. Another thing, the black plastic strip that seperates the gear shifter and the ashtray is loose. Any advice to get that to be nice and sturdy?

Old 06-23-2015, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

The center vent horizontal vanes all seem to break and no longer move in unison, although you can find them occasionally with vanes intact. It clearly is a design defect as it is such a common problem to see an X300 with "lazy vanes".

I've looked into fixing them, which I think is "possible", but the entire vent assembly is welded shut and one would have to cut the unit in half to get to the vane adjustment mechanism. So I just haven't gotten around to it, plus I picked up a vent with good vanes I'm going to replace mine with.

The other problem with the center vent are with the clips that hold the vent in the dash. The clips put too much pressure on the vent body they attach to and eventually break off causing the vent to sit crooked, rattle and sometimes come out. There also is no quick fix for this and almost all used vents suffer from this problem eventually. I am looking into screwing the vent itself into its hole, then finding a way to affix the wood surround in a removable way. I may use a combination of friction/interference with the pins that held it to the vent assembly and high strength velcro. I'm still thinking about that though

Regarding the plastic strip, I'd just replace it if it is broken. They break frequently when the console top is removed if one is unlucky. If it is just loose, you could possibly put a dab of rubber cement in the slot on one side of the strip so it glues to the underside, or perhaps glue a small strip of paper/felt to the edge of the console to increase its grip... just brainstorming.

Good luck