XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What does the heated windshield/windscreen look like with Sun glare?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Heated windscreen and A/C mutually exclusive?

So a quick question: Does anyone have air conditioning AND a heated windshield?

I can't seem to find an A/C & Heater control panel that has both functions. I can find them with either A/C OR heated windshield, but not both.

And according to Jaguar Classic Parts, there are only two part numbers for the control panel:

With heated windscreen: LJA7690AB (old part # AA)
Without heated windscreen: LJA7690BB (old part #BA)

So that leads me to believe that the heated windscreen option was only available on cars/markets where air conditioning was an option, and not installed. If so, the discussion to retrofit a heated windscreen to an A/C equipped car is moot.... unless you want to ditch A/C I guess.

Or.... the other alternative may be that with the heated windscreen you simply lose the "button" to manually turn the A/C on and off, but I can't see why they would do that. It seems more likely that A/C just wasn't installed perhaps due to electrical load? Curious though.

So can anyone confirm if any cars fitted with the heated windscreen also have A/C or not?

See photos below:

Attached Thumbnails What does the heated windshield/windscreen look like with Sun glare?-air-con.jpg   What does the heated windshield/windscreen look like with Sun glare?-heated-windshield.jpg  
Old 04-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re:Heated windscreen and A/C mutually exclusive

Bit early in the morning for me to dig through all my parts, but. I was unhappy with the condition of the blue and red up and down hot & cold buttons. I got hold of a new panel minus AC. When taken apart, it appears all (?) were made with all buttons on the main panel. Proved correct when all bits transferred to new panel worked. Interestingly, worn buttons can be carefully pinged off with a very thin hooked driver without taking apart. My 96 (built august 95) had a heated screen when new, but changed by PO.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Question

Originally Posted by overtheatlantic
Bit early in the morning for me to dig through all my parts, but. I was unhappy with the condition of the blue and red up and down hot & cold buttons. I got hold of a new panel minus AC. When taken apart, it appears all (?) were made with all buttons on the main panel. Proved correct when all bits transferred to new panel worked. Interestingly, worn buttons can be carefully pinged off with a very thin hooked driver without taking apart. My 96 (built august 95) had a heated screen when new, but changed by PO.

Sorry, but I'm not following your response...

Are you simply confirming that one can harvest buttons to transfer to another panel, and/or are you saying that the "guts" of all versions are the same just with different buttons on the front?

Old 04-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
So a quick question: Does anyone have air conditioning AND a heated windshield?
All the Canadian cars. As far as I know, all Canadian market X300's had heated windshield.

I've never seen an X300 without AC, but I think it was a choice in Europe. Last Jaguar to have a basic heater as an option.
Canadian panel: https://flic.kr/p/F7WBdU

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (04-25-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
All the Canadian cars. As far as I know, all Canadian market X300's had heated windshield.

I've never seen an X300 without AC, but I think it was a choice in Europe. Last Jaguar to have a basic heater as an option.
Canadian panel: https://flic.kr/p/F7WBdU
Well there ya go, that one has both, so question answered that yes at least on Canadian models they had both A/C and heated windshields.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

My 1996 Sovereign has both heated windscreen and air conditioning. I am in the UK.

al_roethlisberger (04-25-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

After some additional research, it indeed seems one would need the heated windscreen harness inside the engine compartment added to an X300 not already equipped. As I noted above, I didn't find the white connector in my engine compartment to which the leads from the heated windscreen connect.

What I'm now curious to find out is where the heated windscreen harness plugs into the the main harness in the engine compartment. Does anyone have a photo of where that harness connects?

Old 05-07-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

I'll have to look again, but I think it runs from the rear corners of the engine bay to the relays in the left footwell relays inside the car.

al_roethlisberger (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
I'll have to look again, but I think it runs from the rear corners of the engine bay to the relays in the left footwell relays inside the car.

Thanks! Since it appears to be a separate harness, I'm hopeful the harness just plugs into an existing pigtail/connector somewhere in the engine bay.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Default It is a single harness, part number LNB3090xx

So, have been doing a little more research, and as mentioned above the heated windscreen is supported by a single harness that begins in the RH lower side/kick panel then pierces the firewall to deliver a white/gray two wire connector to the RH and LH base of the windshield/windscreen.

It appears that the X308 version of the harness "may" be the same, but I can't say for certain. The part numbers are similar LNx3090xx, but they do vary:

X300

To VIN (739426) LNA3090AF NLA
From VIN (739427) LNA3090AG NLA
From VIN (787954) LNB3090AA ~42GBP

X308

LNC3090AE
↳ LNF3090AA ~62GBP

Attached is a photo from an eBay UK ad for an X308 harness. The ad states all one needs is the HVAC control with the heated windscreen function, this harness and the heated windscreen. If correct, it sounds very possible to retrofit.

I have now verified by pulling off my lower RH kick panel that my 1997 XJR does not have the harness & relays from the factory since it was not equipped with a heated windscreen. Fortunately as noted above, the harness is still available for relatively cheap.

What's not certain is how the harness is routed, to see where this harness pierces the firewall and if it has to be snaked through the dash board (I hope not).

As an aside, a related thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cation-139279/

Attached Thumbnails What does the heated windshield/windscreen look like with Sun glare?-x308-heated-windscreen-harness.jpg  

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 05-29-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Also, some interesting threads/opinions on the original "glare" question:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...od-idea-95564/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dscreen-91812/

Heated Windshield??? - Jaguar F-Pace Forum

Heated windshield

And an interesting sidebar about radar detectors and the heated screens:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...etector-66929/

Old 07-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Received 468 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm in the same boat, my UK RHD car did not have heated windscreen but I've fitted the ac panel some months ago and due to a crack in the original screen, today I got it replaced with the heated one. Bought the extra harness and now just wondering where it plugs in and how is it routed through the bulkhead.
eBay seller wasn't to helpful, he just mentioned 'somewhere in the middle of the bulkhead'.
Could someone with heated screen option follow up the sockets in the engine bay and post a pic where it hides into the bulkhead?

Old 07-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by katar83
Could someone with heated screen option follow up the sockets in the engine bay and post a pic where it hides into the bulkhead?

Mine is a LHD car, but probably similar to RHD. There are connectors at each corner of the screen. There is a small tang that holds the connector on each bonnet latch. The right side wire runs along the bulkhead, under the wiper mechanism to the left side. The left side wire runs to a rubber plug on the bulkhead, under where the power cable is that runs forward to the left side engine bay fusebox. The bulkhead connection on the power cable is covered by a right angle rubber boot.

Both right and left side wires run through the rubber plug to the interior. On mine, the relays are behind the left side kickpanel in the footwell and that is where it joins the rest of the cabin harness. I'd guess the rubber plug is about 2" diameter.

Photo here: https://flic.kr/p/JK5DvL
This is sticking my phone in beside the left side bonnet latch, looking down and outward toward the wing. The two green wires below the wrapped harness with the blue tape is the screen heat wires. The big white plug on the left side of the frame is the screen connection at the left side of the screen.

Same thing on a different (also LHD) car: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129643...7666862944635/

Last edited by Jagboi64; 07-04-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:28 PM

Thanks for your help. I've received the cable which according to Jaguar is correct part number for my VIN - LNB3090AA and which has a 4 wire plug at the end that suppose to plug into main harness.

I went through bulkhead inch by inch and found the rubber grommet in the left side corner that opens up inside the car so I should be able to route my harness from the engine bay into the left side footwell.
There is one problem though. I cant find any socket there where the extra harness with the 4 wire plug at the end could be plugged in. This extra harness LNB3090AA also suppose to work in an XJ8 so I'm thinking that maybe Jag got it wrong and I actually need an earlier version of that harness that is no longer available and that possibly has two, two wire plugs instead of one-four-wire plug.

On this photo mentioned already in this topic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129643...3/25678577143/

There are two blue relays for the heated windscreen and two plugs next to them one big grey one and one small white one. On my car these aren't connected anywhere, each of these sockets has a blanking plug. Are these two sockets used for heated windscreen? If they are I could cut up the 4-wire plug of my new extra harness and connect it directly to these two plugs.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:55 PM

Here are some pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/HuXqkWLYSah3k3ai8

and including the plug from the extra harness:

https://goo.gl/photos/Cmb4h7YjrPM1rwdDA

Not sure they are the same thing but cant find anything else in there.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Does the harness you bought contain the 2 relays? The button on the climate control panel switches those relays, that's the light gauge wires on your white plug. The heavy gauge wires are the power feeds to the screen, one to each side. The harness should also contain a black earth wire at each corner plug where it attaches to the screen.

On the white plug the white/red wire is an ignition switched earth, and the purple/slate wire is the relay control from the air conditioning module.

On the grey plug, the brown/purple wire is power into the right side relay, and the brown/black is power into the left side relay. The screen heating is split into 2 elements, right and left with a relay for each side.

The power for the 2 brown wires comes from the left side engine bay fusebox, fuse #1 (25A) for the right side, and fuse #15 (25A) for the left side.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:44 AM

Great news then

I have sockets for relays within that harness, don't have relays yet but I have a spares car and the fog light relays seems to be the same so will use them.
Now I just need to 'pair' both end of the harness together, will have to find a spare plug somewhere in the engine bay and cut it off from the spares car and figure out which cable from the later harness is for switched ignition and which one is for ac control as the colours are different. Hopefully can find them in the XJ8 electrical guide.

I'll let you all know when I finish it later this week

Old 07-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

The relays are generic 30 Amp auto relays, nothing special.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:29 AM

Success! I have retrofitted a heated windscreen to my x300. To sum it up:
I fitted in the ac panel with the extra button, then added heated windscreen from autoglass.
I still needed to plug it somewhere and as it turns out, there is an extra harness needed that plugs in to the main harness in the left side footwell. The x300 extra harness is no longer available from Jaguar(or anywhere else for that matter) so I've purchased LNB3090AA harness from XJ8. This harness has a single 4 pin plug where it suppose to join main harness and the x300 has two, two pin sockets so I've cut the 4 pin plug from the extra harness and replaced it with 2 sockets that fitted in into the main harness.
I've plugged in everything and now have switched 12V from the ac panel windscreen button and a working heated windscreen. Just need to route the cable through the bulkhead in the left side corner now

Extra harness:
https://goo.gl/photos/toNWSxftEKrQLbqc7

Replaced socket:
https://goo.gl/photos/TKCTS43TmTwVk3Ku6

Replaced socket in the footwell
https://goo.gl/photos/DRRjiDxafnR5gviT9

Old 07-16-2016, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by katar83
Success! I have retrofitted a heated windscreen to my x300. To sum it up:
I fitted in the ac panel with the extra button, then added heated windscreen from autoglass.
I still needed to plug it somewhere and as it turns out, there is an extra harness needed that plugs in to the main harness in the left side footwell. The x300 extra harness is no longer available from Jaguar(or anywhere else for that matter) so I've purchased LNB3090AA harness from XJ8. This harness has a single 4 pin plug where it suppose to join main harness and the x300 has two, two pin sockets so I've cut the 4 pin plug from the extra harness and replaced it with 2 sockets that fitted in into the main harness.
I've plugged in everything and now have switched 12V from the ac panel windscreen button and a working heated windscreen. Just need to route the cable through the bulkhead in the left side corner now

Extra harness:
https://goo.gl/photos/toNWSxftEKrQLbqc7

Replaced socket:
https://goo.gl/photos/TKCTS43TmTwVk3Ku6

Replaced socket in the footwell
https://goo.gl/photos/DRRjiDxafnR5gviT9

Fantastic! I know it was described in a post above, but do you have any photos of where the LNB3090AA harness was routed up from the kick panel, then into the dash, where through the firewall (through one hole or two?) and then (I assume) up under the outside cowl plastic to each corner of the windshield?

Quick Reply: What does the heated windshield/windscreen look like with Sun glare?