XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What is this part?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 11:48 AM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What is this part?

See below picture, I'm talking about the round "bushing" (???) in the center of the pic.
It's fastened using a torx bolt to the aluminum cross member that support the rear end of the transmission, and does not appear to be linked to anything or to hold up anything...

Old 05-02-2020, 12:18 PM
Received 8,319 Likes on 5,021 Posts

Jaguar refers to it as a Dynamic Absorber Mounting.

bob

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 01:43 PM

Thx, that explains a lot (really, it does). Does it lose its effectivity after time (the rubber isn't new, obviously), so do they recommend changing it after, lets say, 23 years?
Will I feel a noticeably difference with a new part, or do I leave it alone and don't worry about it?

Old 05-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Received 8,319 Likes on 5,021 Posts

I have no idea if the function degrades with time. I just leave them in place and go on with my life when I see them.

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Cafcpete (05-03-2020), Don B (05-02-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 09:27 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Think about the old saying, " if its not broken don`t fix it "
Only worry when it becomes a problem on the annual fitness test.
John

Old 05-09-2020, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by John P
Think about the old saying, " if its not broken don`t fix it "
Only worry when it becomes a problem on the annual fitness test.
John
I hope you don't apply this saying to the rest of your car. I prefer preventative maintenance than curative maintenance, but that has got to do with my line of work.
Oil, filters, tires, belts, timing chain tensioners, engine mounts, ...
Also, In Belgium,I'm quite sure they couldn't care less about this part on the MOT: they check safety belts, lights, horn, wipers, brakes, suspension and play in steering rack, and rust in structural places but most likely not this. I was always told MOT in UK was easy (you are allowed to do mods like engine transplants, we have to keep our cars original, "CE-compliant"), so would this show up onn your annual checks?

Old 05-09-2020, 08:38 PM

Hello kingnero,
My reply was just a good old bit of British humor, I don`t think the EU have banned it yet but who knows.
It is also a straight forward answer to your comment " do i leave it and not worry "
motorcarman gives a good point also.
I am not sure how you think the MOT in the UK is easy, it meets the safety standards of the whole of Western Europe, probably Eastern Europe and the rest of the free world.
We can change engines in our cars but if you follow the rules the documents that relate to the car need to be updated, insurance firms also need to be informed.
I have seen reports that the UK is one of the safest countries in the EU when it comes to road safety.
I work in the motor trade and have been told by testers that my old cars are in better condition than many newer cars presented for first test.
Hope you get the X300 up and running soon.
John

Old 05-10-2020, 12:50 AM

Hey John,
I shouldn't have put it like that, I was just (badly) trying to explain my point of view whether or not to see this as a "serviceable" item or not.
By no means I wanted to say anything about your car, but that's not how I put it on (digital) paper. Consider this an apology...

About the MOT's, I was an active member of MIGWeb about 20 yrs ago, this is a UK vauxhall club. I grew up next to an Opel garage, hence my interest. Drove almost everything from an astra MkII to the carlton GSI. During the meetings there, I was always surprised what mods were allowed in the UK. We can't even change an exhaust for a non-OEM one, change classic headlights to xenon, touch the engine (even remapping the ECU can result in "everything is your fault" during an accident where you clearly are not at fault). So that's what I meant by "easy MOT". As for safest country, I don't doubt that. I've visited the UK several times, done the M1, I think I averaged about 20MPH in total over all of my visits... :-)

Old 05-10-2020, 05:09 AM

Thank you my friend.
Your laws are harsh, it must be very difficult to keep a classic on the road.
We also have this you are to blame culture, if you are driving at the correct speed and someone runs in front of you and you hit them you need to be able to defend yourself.
The dash cam is a great device and a must on UK roads.
The other road that can be a major pain in the backside is the M25, at times if you reach 20mph you are having a good day.
I hope you get the X300 up and running soon, the Carnival red is a beautiful colour.
When I get time I will add a few pics of the cars.
All the best.
John