XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Windshield wiper removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 03:50 PM
Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Windshield wiper removal

Hi,
OK, I fell for your instructions on how to remove the wiper motor. I am now a member of the sucker club. As a member, can I now get the real instructions?

Only joking.

I removed 5 of the 6 sliders as I have to do this fun fun fun job twice. On the donor car I moved all 3 sliders and both nuts from the wiper assembly. The motor is clearly unattached to anything but how on earth do you get it out. Do I need to pull the engine first or will lifting the car help? Is it possible that we members get to meet with the engineer who designed this for just 5 minutes. Why not just give another 5 inches of play?

Tomorrow will be another fun day as I have to slide that middle slider over and remove both wiper motors. I hope that going in will be easier. That middle slider is not easy to get your hand on, and I have small hands, but it has to be done.

Here is how I get the sliders to move. I used the wiper blade assembly as it has a hook on the end. I put the hook around the slides, my vise grips to the other end and I hammered the **** out of the vise grips and this worked out fairly well. The hardest part was knowing if the slider moved enough! I am certain that I hammered after they moved but oh well, at least they moved.

I know that the motor I am going to use works so I am just hoping that there will be no problem after installing the motor like a bad switch or a bad relay.

Repairing my Jaguars have actually been quite simple but this wiper motor is the worst to replace.

Jomo

Old 08-30-2021, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,012 Likes on 848 Posts

The big plastic rectangle piece barely comes out with no engine removal

Don't lose track of how the motor parts stack on the rectangle piece

You can stab the bottom of a Styrofoam cup on the shaft as it attaches to the arm and mark a line and watch it go through it;s arc before installing the arm

Last edited by Parker 7; 08-30-2021 at 08:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Parker 7:
jomo (09-02-2021), SleekJag12 (08-31-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 07:32 PM
Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

The wiper motor is in but does not work. Before even pulling the wiper motor I checked all the fuses and swapped out the four relays that are by the air filter assembly. I know that only two are four the wipers. Are they the two on the other side where the four relays are? For the record I placed 12 volts directly to the motor and nothing.

My real questions are how should I proceed to determine if the relays are good and if the wiper stalk is working correctly.

Thanks for all your help.

Jomo

Old 09-03-2021, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 934 Likes on 527 Posts

There is another major component involved - the BPM. This may be your problem. But structured diagnostics is the key, and ideally the right diagnostic tools.

Firstly study the electrical diagram for the wiper system so you understand what to expect from the diagnostic tests. You can identify which are the Wiper and Fast Wiper relays in that group of 4 from the wire colurs on the diagram.

Then work backwards from the motor testing the circuits (inputs and outputs) at each component. A Multimeter will do the job, but I have a Power Probe that I find is much better for this kind of diagnostic. It allows you to apply Power or Ground where it should be present but isn't.

I made a post recently about the Autel AP200 diagnostic tool.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...budget-249892/

Your issue is a good example of where that tool would be very helpful as you could monitor the BPM Live data to see if it recognises/activates wiper control signals from the wiper stalk.