XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Wrecked Steering Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 922 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Wrecked Steering Rack?

Anyone know how much damage is caused by connecting the PAS pump high pressure hose and the Return hose the wrong way around on the steering rack? Stream of fluid coming out of the top of the pinion housing now. Is it likely to be terminal?

Asking for a friend

Old 08-24-2021, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 989 Likes on 828 Posts

A friend in need is a friend in deed

From a safety point of view something may have failed inside the steering rack not observed ( even bending of rods that control things inside ) and this may let loose as you drive steering you off the road

There is a seal kit available but with all the seals and the number and pic is on my older computer as well as a factory overhaul manual with a exploded veiw

The same ZF brand rack model # is used on BMWs and so info is on their forums

See file below

There is a variable and non variable speed sensitive servo version that attaches in this area that you would have to visually verify if a servo is attached on the rack otherwise a servo amplifier is mounted on the left side of the car opposite the location of the right side mounted engine ECU

A cheap try would be a common rubber seal from the hardware store if you remove the gland nut and pull off the old one being careful not to scratch the seal seat by using a brass spoon

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ZF Rack BMW.pdf (1.05 MB, 130 views)

Last edited by Parker 7; 08-24-2021 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
b1mcp (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 922 Likes on 520 Posts

Thanks Parker

Yes that's my concern, that something other than a seal may have been damaged. But the rack feels smooth and turns the wheels effortlessly now that the hoses are connected correctly. I'm thinking (hoping) just a seal has flipped or given way and hence the leak.

I am tempted to have a go at a rebuild myself as I have bad experience of rebuilt racks from reputable UK suppliers so don't really trust the rebuild industry.

I've had a quick search for UK suppliers of the seal kit but found none so far. Best I can find is buy from US or Russia (2 month delivery !) on ebay - but at around £100 for the kit inc postage etc. it's about the same as a complete used rack from a UK breaker. Hmm, will have to think through the options.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 989 Likes on 828 Posts

Note the ZF part #s for the rack assembly to that used on the X300 was never confirmed

Looking at the diagram on page 7 the vertical shaft attached to the steering column has a spiral gear that would translate the series of O rings up and down ( as a shuttle valve ) porting fluid pressure at your in and out fittings to translate the lower horizontal output shaft left or right

Compare that to diagram on page 10 where you have straight notches to mechanically in a non boosted situation walk the output shaft left or right

These are mounting shims that may give you a more solid and confident final installation

Something is missing is you would need straight gears to mash with notches on the output shaft for the non boosted situation

What the conclusion is that the control porting of the pressure should not have been harmed with the exception of rolled O - rings and you would have to check all of them on the vertical shaft

Even though there is a mechanical back up the hydraulic boost if it goes nuts may rip the steering wheel out of your hands and not be able to hold a straight line by the straight notches on the horizontal shaft

Last edited by Parker 7; 08-25-2021 at 02:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
b1mcp (08-25-2021)