XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Is the X300 more reliable than the XJ40?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve W
I have decided to replace all 6 ignition coils. The one I got the other day was used and I don't want to get any surprises later. It will cost about $1100 but it will be worth the peace of mind.
Tread carefully, Steve! Many would argue a working used one is superior to many new ones on the market.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0-coils-93966/

$1100?!? what is part v. labor cost on that? You are aware you could change all 6 yourself in less than a half-hour, aren't you? Maybe an hour if you decide you have to make 6 coil gaskets...Think tools req'd are a T30 torx and a 8mm socket, nothing more.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

^VERY much agreed. There's no guarantee you would be given the correct Lucas made-in-Japan coils, either. Those are quite pricey; check the thread aholbro linked you too. It's insanely easy to install the coils yourself. It really is a 10 minute job, you could do it with a beer in one hand if you so pleased, so I strongly recommend against paying for labor. I would personally find 2 used ones to keep in the car just in case, but if you really want to replace them all for peace of mind, we'll help you locate the right ones and install them. I suggest if you do that, that you put fresh champion RC12YC plugs in, gapped perfectly, as anything else can wear the coils down prematurely.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Malihide
^VERY much agreed. There's no guarantee you would be given the correct Lucas made-in-Japan coils, either. Those are quite pricey; check the thread aholbro linked you too. It's insanely easy to install the coils yourself. It really is a 10 minute job, you could do it with a beer in one hand if you so pleased, so I strongly recommend against paying for labor. I would personally find 2 used ones to keep in the car just in case, but if you really want to replace them all for peace of mind, we'll help you locate the right ones and install them. I suggest if you do that, that you put fresh champion RC12YC plugs in, gapped perfectly, as anything else can wear the coils down prematurely.
I don't know if they are Lucas coils but they are made in Japan. It is a Jaguar service place. They said the ones made in China are bad. The ones from Japan are $175 each.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Steve W
I don't know if they are Lucas coils but they are made in Japan. It is a Jaguar service place. They said the ones made in China are bad. The ones from Japan are $175 each.

Look in the "Heads Up" thread linked above, and you should be able to source the real Make in Japan coils for $75-95 each. Japthug and SNG both have had them and have information in the thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0-coils-93966/

So even if you bought 6 new coils, you should be looking at $500-600 max.

The only other item you may need are new fiber gaskets that go under the coils. These sometimes tear when removing a coil, or are just missing. They are very cheap on eBay, etc.

And as mentioned, changing them is child's play. Unless you absolutely have no mechanical ability, please do not pay someone to change these for you.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Malihide
^the Vanden Plas was fitted with a premium HK sound system, and I believe had traction/cruise control fitted as standard. Mandatory in Canada and available in other markets was a cold weather package, which included headlamp washers, a heated front windscreen, and heated seats, at the expense of the motorized dipped headlights. As far as I know, these are the only differences, aside from power folding mirrors which were mostly a Japan thing.

The X300 is a very reliable car. There are only a few things that will keep it from running, and we know all about them here. They make a great daily driver and will present less serious problems than most cars. Really! Of course, it brings a lot to the table if you're passionate and stay on top of every service item... which isn't that daunting of a task, really. The transmission and engine will last a very long time without a rebuild. There are a few sensors that can go wonky, and a few electrical connections that are in bad spaces (the airbag comes to mind) and could come loose, BUT, compare it to any chevy or volkswagen and you will soon realise how beautiful and simple the wiring is--especially considering all the features in the car, and the year it was made!

The suspension has very few weak spots, too, though you will definitely notice if something is amiss. I won't say it's a weak spot considering how robust it is, but it's sensitive to something as simple as a tire it doesn't like. Not fatal, and remember that Jags are known for their lovely suspension setups. A very fair tradeoff!

Even most interior trim pieces aren't too expensive. They really are a great car to own and drive. If you're thinking of getting one, act now, because at least in my area, word has gotten out and these cars have doubled in value over the past year.
My main problem with my 1997 XJ6 is I've had to replace the rack-and-pinion steering box 3 times. I've heard that's not uncommon.....Gotta love the car though.