XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

x300 non starter after layoff

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy x300 non starter after layoff

non starter after long lay off. battery flat recharged in car(idiot !!!!!) new battery installed, car turns over, rev counter moves away from stop, checked petrol(heard click of solonoid? I think)spark in no1 pot very good, new crank sensor fitted, cleaned/dried all visable electrical conns.Tried to start in neutral no go also. Any kind gent with possible answers, apart from the obvious, as I've grown to love the old girl

Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Water in the gas?
Crack the fel line and catch a little gas in a clear container and check for water. Juat a hunch.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You never said how long it had been sitting. If it was quite a while did you put fuel stabalizer in the tank. It takes a while but if petrol sits for a long period of time it can turn into a Kerosene and gum everything up hence the car will not start.

If it's only a short lay-up check for spark, if that's okay just make sure you are indeed getting fuel pressure and as spark says check for water in the fuel..

Give you someplace to start at least. Keep us updated on how you getting on.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Unhappy x300 non starter after layoff

Hi folks and thanks for your views- update- checked fuel seems to be clear but on second thoughts I will draw off a fair bit to remove any doubts before I refill tank with 25 litres of fresh fuel on the off chance that this will replace the suggested enhancer/stabiliser. Car has stood for 2 months on my drive. Battery brand new lucas 77A/H rating which cranks engine at normal speed. All security beeps seem to work as normal on locking and unlocking

Old 12-15-2011, 06:44 AM

hi folks- update- My reply yesterday did not seem to reach this site, so to repeat, I checked petrol filler and found water up to rim after the very heavy rainfall of late due to the drain being blocked by debris- SO it looks like you folks were right about water in gas, my question is how to drain the tank. In the old days, we had a **** an base of tank, if not a length hose to the bottom and mighty breaths to draw up petrol and ending a gob full of petrol and hopefully syphoning gas into can. Any suggestions please

Old 12-15-2011, 11:12 AM

I have never tried this on my Jag and I can't go check either as it is put away for the winter months.

I have junked a couple of cars this year both of which had quite a bit of fuel in them. The way I do it I find the fuel line feed the injector rack they are usually just a quick snap connector rubber hose plastic connector. Disconnect that line find a hose that will allow the rubber end of the fuel line to fit inside and the other end on the fuel can, remove the fuel pump reply make a small jumper up and place it between #3 and #4 on the plug part. The fuel pump should start not sure now if you need to turn the power on or not. The reason for the jumper you can quickly remove it once the fuel can you are using is full.

Hope this help..

Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 AM

Hi SIMPROOF R.E.V

Thanks for the tip I will gve it a go when weather eases up as it is snowing and b....y cold at the moment.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Your welcome mate. I come Lancaster, Lancs but now live in Canada. You have know idea what cold is lol..

Bill