XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

x300 with a walnut hoodlining

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 05:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default x300 with a walnut hoodlining

Good evening All.

I've done my intro in the new member area and posted previously about a few x300 questions. I have until recently been the proud owner of a Range Rover Classic and after 16 years with the Rangie I was looking for a change.
I was bum steered by a dealer over a real nice x300 Heritage and he sold it out from under me, I then started searching for another Jag.

I looked at quite a few x300's and most were absolute dogs and I finally stumbled on a 1996 Jaguar xj6 Sovereign x300 4.0 on fleabay. It is (I think ) Spruce Green metallic, it didn't have a great service history but it was a undetailed but generally very tidy car.

It has a few parking dents on 3 doors (which will come out with paintless dent repair) and luckily the dented bits aren't paint damaged . The boot could use a repaint (bird poo) very tidy interior with good leather, excellent carpet and mint woodwork. The rear doors one didn't work on central locking and the other inoperable window. The car drives well, its very tight with no bumps sqeaks or rattles. The engine starts quite and stays that way, good oil pressure and coolant temp. Transmission, steering and brakes all operate without fault.

Compared to the other cars out there, this one was a great price and a honest untarted up prospect. I did the deal on the car on the Wed and picked her up Thurs.

Ive owner the Sovereign for a bit over a week now and so far I've sorted out the rear door problems, detailed it within an inch of its life, changed the diff oil with Nulon additive, change the engine oil to semi syn Nulon plus the long life additive plus a filter. checked all hoses and belts, replaced a few light globes. I have cleaned out the mass air flow and throttle body. I pulled, checked and cleaned with electrical contact clean every fuse in 5 fuse boxes. The end result is that everything now works and it runs like a clock

Now to the walnut hoodlining, I took my sister in law for a spin in the Jag and she thought the hoodining was timber. The previous owner evidently couldn't stand the hanging fabric and ripped it out and cleaned up the base board, the dried glue on the base board does look a bit like timber Ha Ha!

Next week the plan is to track down a new air cleaner element and replace the front windscreen. The windscreen looks like a LP record with wiper scratches, in fact if you carefully drag a needle over it, it plays Pomp and Circumstance (official lie). The plan down the track will be, paintless dent repair the parking lot damage, paint the boot and recover the hoodlining.

So being a one week veteran of Jag ownership I must say its a bit like riding my motorcycle, it is always good to take the long way home.

Sorry to be soooo long winded.......... No I'm not, I'm a happy Jaguar owner (at last)

Cheers, Chris Belle

Old 07-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Let's see a pic of this hood liner!

The following users liked this post:
bell (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts

It's too bad that fellow that used to make the "ultimate hood liner" passed away a year or so ago. That was a pretty slick product that looked good and didn't droop down on the engine coil & cam cover.

bell (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
It's too bad that fellow that used to make the "ultimate hood liner" passed away a year or so ago. That was a pretty slick product that looked good and didn't droop down on the engine coil & cam cover.

Hi Al
I think we lost something in American/Australian translation, we call the cloth trim inside the roof of the cabin a hoodlining and the one under the bonnet/hood a bonnet pad. Anyway what seems to be common all over the world is, a Jag is a nice place to be.

al_roethlisberger (07-06-2015)