XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

a X300/xj6 ‘95-‘97, INPUT, OPINIONS? 79k mi.? others

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 07:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking a X300/xj6 ‘95-‘97, INPUT, OPINIONS? 79k mi.? others

Looking to buy a X300/xj6 ‘95-‘97, been hell bent on finding another xj6. (The frame rusted on my ‘86, 68k mi. :/)
And, my ‘04 xk8 conv. 60k mi., seems to have a repair each warm season (PA winters). Tho, I love the xk8 performance, the repairs are starting to get on my nerves & wallet. AC parts, sensors, error codes. ‘P0825’ that says “do not drive car with this code”, & P0706.As you know, the X300/xj6 ‘95-‘97 have stellar reputations & I found a few that pique my interest.
My fav is a black 1995 VP, w/79k mi., $9,900 obo (after a $3k price drop), private seller. 4 owners, was fleet car.
The miles have given me pause for a couple reasons: *resale value if wanted to sell & *near 100k… ‘factory REAR DIFFERENTIAL problem’, other parts needed.
The upside is the car is sharp with LOTSA maintenance done 6k mi. ago at dealer. From new Michelin Defenders, new belts, 4 new shocks, alignment, fluids done, new AC comp.&cond., headliner, plugs, throttle body serviced, Pro. Ceramic finish (brings out the black!).

Others inc. a red ‘95 xj6 base, 54k mi., good shape $9k, and a white ‘95 64k mi. that needs ‘detailing’ $5,500 obo.
I looked at many newer years/models that I wasn’t crazy about. The 2003 xj6 or xj8 are nice but some have had trouble w/them.
Anyway, I’m probably over analyzing, but I don’t REALLY need another Jag (yeah, married).
Trying to get something a bit more reliable.

As always thanks for any wise words!
Cino

Old 06-25-2024, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 807 Posts

The 95 has engine cams that give problems at idle that was addressed in this TSB

A mater if you mind that , I don't have the 95

The stamped markings on the cams are a metal blank # before cam lobe machining

So you would look for the engine serial

03.1-05 (jagrepair.com)

Last edited by Parker 7; 06-25-2024 at 03:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cino61 (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 05:53 PM

Hi Parker… thnx very much for reply. I DID read the cam thread, but didn’t totally understand & thought might not pertain to the x300’s, xj6. Boy, Jaguar doesn’t seem to want me around. Seems there’s always something to look out for. Many thnx. I look at the link u provided. Cino

**update: read the TSB… well, that’s over my head! MACHINE SHOP the CAM?! Sounds involved…
the TSB lists “95-96”. So, I guess 1997 had the new camshaft. ? I’m running out of Jaguar options!
Gotta think this over. (Seller says “car runs great”). Maybe I’ll only look for 1997’s… Thnx again.

(+ the rear differential issue, a few other issues…)

Last edited by Cino61; 06-25-2024 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 807 Posts

The cam as a part ( in this instance ) can not be modified or machined , the part switch over was around 95 so would have to look at the engine serial #

The rear Diff output bearing ( 2 ) can be done by yourself if you have the skills otherwise labor cost and someone willing to do the work , the Diff doesn't have to come out

See another TSB coming

The V - 8 is a whole different animal with timing chain issues and early 98 -99 compression issues that do not have steel sleeves in the aluminum block cylinders , later have steel sleeves

Last edited by Parker 7; 06-26-2024 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Parker 7
The cam as a part ( in this instance ) can not be modified or machined , the part switch over was around 95 so would have to look at the engine serial #
So, there’s a chance the part swap was done?

The rear Diff output bearing ( 2 ) can be done by yourself if you have the skills otherwise labor cost and someone willing to do the work , the Diff doesn't have to come out
Oh, I wouldn’t do for a few reasons. I think I read cost of $1600-$4k…? That was probably replacing the whole diff.

See another TSB coming
Geez, TSB’s sorta laugh in our face.

The V - 8 is a whole different animal with timing chain issues and early 98 -99 compression issues that do not have steel sleeves in the aluminum block cylinders , later have steel sleeves
I’ve read many owners had nightmares with the 1998, especially.

So, when I got your email re: reply, I was actually calling the seller to discuss the car! Then, as I was reading about the issue, I didn’t let the call connect. I was very bummed… & I poked around the myriad of Jag TSB & any recalls. No recalls came up.
i did a lot of searching, narrowed things down to ‘95-‘97 xj6… then I got dizzy.
Jaguar’s are the only cars I seek out. Now, I’m not sure what to do. Seems every model has issues. Before the xj6/x300 I was heavily leaning xj8.
continued thnx Parker!
Cino

Old 06-26-2024, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,873 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Originally Posted by Cino61
Looking to buy a X300/xj6 ‘95-‘97,
Trying to get something a bit more reliable.

More reliable? A 25 year old used Jag isn't the best starting point :-)

I drove an X300 for many years and 171k miles. Great car. I liked it. Much better in many respects than older models. And, actually, it was 100% reliable in the sense that it never once left me stranded. But....it most certainly not "trouble free".

I'm not saying "Don't buy an X300".

But age and miles take a toll and I can virtually promise that even an extra-nice example is gonna need repairs now and in the future.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-26-2024, 10:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X300/xj6 ‘95-‘97 I might have one for you.

Well, I am sitting in NYC with a pretty damn good condition 1997 VDP XJ6, candy maroon color with beige interior, 83k miles. $16,000 NEG.

Lately, I have no reason to drive it due to other vehicles. Front driver seat leather not torn, but should be redone. The other seats are like new.
Text me at 718-954-1477 if you have interest.

Old 06-26-2024, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
More reliable? A 25 year old used Jag isn't the best starting point :-)

I drove an X300 for many years and 171k miles. Great car. I liked it. Much better in many respects than older models. And, actually, it was 100% reliable in the sense that it never once left me stranded. But....it most certainly not "trouble free".

I'm not saying "Don't buy an X300".

But age and miles take a toll and I can virtually promise that even an extra-nice example is gonna need repairs now and in the future.

Cheers
DD
hi doug:
My wording did cross my mind it could be interpreted the way you read it. I meant “more reliable than my ‘04 xk8”.
I got the xk8 a couple years ago when looking for a mid-80’s xj6. The ‘04 Xk8 was a FL car, 55k mi., Good Price, v. Good shape. I figured have fun w/xk8 until I find an xj6 (or xk8?)… then I expanded my models & years. I keep reading how great xj6/x300 were. So, I was pursuing them. And, the info I was reading could’ve been dated. So, some issues may not have cropped up yet, but now have. Some owners were critical of the x300’s, but seemingly over 100k issues began. The car I was (am?) interested in has 79k, so that started to concern me. I also read where owners have over 200k on them… some over 300k. The car is SHARP w/lots of maintenance done (I guessed @$4k in work at dealer). I esp. liked that a/c work was done cos many jags spout Freon! So, I was also thinking maybe a ‘97 with only 42k mi., $9900. V. Good shape… White. BUT, eventually will need all/some of what the other car had done. The low miles benefit in many ways, like resale value.
The other car is a ‘95, black, black tint windows, with porcelain finish. Beautiful, w/lotsa work done, a beauty.
‘97, white (nice but ‘not real cool’!). White has a battery & alternator replaced & gone over by garage. It’s being sold by an estate.
it’s a tough call. THEN more mechanical issues were raised here (THANKS!) & I got the vapors.
yeah, wear & tear repairs I get. Some of the other issues started bumming me out…. Especially, the ‘timing value cam’ & rear diff. Issues.
i have/had an ‘86 xj6, 68k mi., I’m 2nd owner, but frame rusted out. That car mainly needed only maintenance, except for a headliner.
and here I sit… huffing vapors, cursing Jag TCB’s!
feel to pontificate. Thank you for reply.
Cino.

p.s.: what year did u have? What kind repairs? Yes, consensus is exactly what you said, “Much better in many respects than older models.”

Last edited by Cino61; 06-26-2024 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:44 AM

Nice car. I always like that color. Been a good car for you?

Old 06-26-2024, 12:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X300/xj6 ‘95-‘97 I might have one for you.

The car has been great to me. Just typical maintenance. It is a real head turner.
I did an oil change recently, and it passed NYS inspection. When I bought the car, the antenna did not go up, so I replaced the cable. I also threw in a new battery. Heat is hot, AC is ice.

Problems that I have not gotten around to yet....
drivers seat won't move (but it is stuck at a good position for me) and when I have time, I would like to replace the driver's seat leather.

All the best,

Ted
718-954-1477 preferred method of contact

Cino61 (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

p.s.: what year did u have? What kind repairs? Yes, consensus is exactly what you said, “Much better in many respects than older models.”
Here's my 100k miles repair list. I may have posted an updated list later; can't remember

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-record-84881/

Cheers
DD

Cino61 (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 09:39 AM

As always thanks Doug! I will review w great interest.
cino

Old 06-29-2024, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 996 Likes on 676 Posts

The TSB (and Jaguar Classic) says that all engines after engine #133653 have the revised camshafts. So that is a starting point if you really want that newer profile. It was designed to idle a bit smoother. But it is not a part that needs to be replaced under any circumstance on an earlier build. In my opinion it is a non-factor in a decision to buy an X300. There are many more important factors.

I also don't know of any "Factory" rear differential issues. Sure, they can occasionally get noisy, wear out or fail (pretty rarely), but again it is not a deal breaker unless it is already noisy or has been run dry. You will change the oil in the diff, perhaps the seals if needed, treat it well enough and not worry about it.

You should find the X300 simpler to work on than the X100, in general. Once you get it dialed in, it can be considered reasonably reliable. Good luck, there are still good X300s out there. The black one you mentioned could have a head start maintenance wise, if all is true.

Cino61 (06-30-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 11:46 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

From my view point, the mileage differences between the cars you are looking at are insignificant given the cars ages. Maintenance, number of previous owners, and whether the car was stored in a garage or in a driveway will have a more meaningful impact on what you will experience.

I bought a one owner 1997 XJR with 58K miles about a year ago. It was always stored in a garage and had a stack of service records. It's a great car and I really enjoy it but I have had some issues with it. Mainly with a high idle and the security system. My goal when I started shopping was a Vanden Plas with a V12. I wound up going with the XJR because of the condition and the car history. There's a big difference between how the Vanden Plas ride and how the XJR rides. If I have any regret about my decision it is the ride and the limited space in the back seat. The XJR ride is a bit harsher but it's more responsive in just about every way. The XJR has the "hand of God" like power similar to the V12 but it's not as effortless as the V12. All that said, I am very happy with my decision.

If you like the characteristics of the Vanden Plas, I would give some thought to settling for a base model, especially given the relatively close mileage and price between the three examples you are looking at. Keep in mind that a respectfully submitted and serious offer that is lower than what the seller wants, often leads to a transaction that works out for both. You my be able to close the gap between the most expensive and least expensive you are considering.

SleekJag12 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 10:23 AM

Hi
thanks for the reply.
The tsb issue crossed my mind too, cos I don’t think I’ve read ‘rough idle’ anywhere. (I guess u sorta did here?)

the differential issue I read in owner reviews & I maybe on RepairPal.
I'm having trouble getting past the disparity in miles. The ‘97 White 43k, ‘95 Black 79k… I contacted the ‘97 person again. He was looking for repair papers. It’s for an estate. And some owners had 100k hit & had problems after. I do see 250k to 348k.
The red one no contact. (It’s very valid looking). The other 2 are @ same price. I’d love the black with 43k & the maintenance.
xjr ride more like xk8? Vs xj6? Good to have a difference too?
(Note: my xk8 & the error codes… asked my mechanic if ok to drive? He said “absolutely ok.” Took a couple day trip 350 mi. R/t. Car ran great!)

If interested, HERE’s a LIST compiled from owners, ‘experts’, mechanics for x300… (sorta mentions differential, I did do a search & saw other info on it. I forget exactly, I just kept seeing DIFFERENTIAL!!) I just searched again & not as bad as I’m making it sound. Tho owners weren’t happy. “Keep oiled, gaskets, bearing noise…”

Exterior Door Handles May Break

Retrofit kit available to replace problematic self-leveling suspension

Brake Pedal Stiff Due to Failed ABS

Accumulator

Rattling Noise Due to Failed Upper tentioner

Front Shock Bushings

Growling Noise on Deceleration From High Speed Due to Differential Bearing Failure (problem @80k-100k mi.)

Front Spindle Replacement Due to Abnormal Wear

Servicing Front Wheel Bearings to Avoid Excess Play

Last edited by Cino61; 06-30-2024 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2024, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

If interested, HERE’s a LIST compiled from owners, ‘experts’, mechanics for x300… (sorta mentions differential, I did do a search & saw other info on it. I forget exactly, I just kept seeing DIFFERENTIAL!!) I just searched again & not as bad as I’m making it sound. Tho owners weren’t happy. “Keep oiled, gaskets, bearing noise…”
My X300 diff gave up the ghost at about 75k miles.

There is some history of X300 diff problems, yes. Perhaps not a chronic problem but considering how many cars never have a diff problem it is a bit unusual.

Exterior Door Handles May Break

Retrofit kit available to replace problematic self-leveling suspension

Brake Pedal Stiff Due to Failed ABS

Accumulator
This sounds like XJ40 stuff, not X300

Rattling Noise Due to Failed Upper tentioner
Easy fix on the AJ16 engine

Front Shock Bushings
Very common; easy fix

Growling Noise on Deceleration From High Speed Due to Differential Bearing Failure (problem @80k-100k mi.)
Which may or may not need immediate attention. Sometimes a slightly growly bearing or ring and pinion will soldier on for years without actually failing.

Front Spindle Replacement Due to Abnormal Wear

Servicing Front Wheel Bearings to Avoid Excess Play
Disassembling the front hubs for cleaning and repacking the bearings is very often forgotten. Decades ago it was commonplace but too often these days people don't think about it.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-30-2024, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '95 XJ6.
Originally from Chicago, now live in the south.
I will NEVER buy a car from the north ever again.
I am spoiled reusing exhaust clamps and bolts from a 29-year-old car.

I have been told the 95-97 are the most reliable - mechanically.
Brakes, Electrical, air conditioning, etc. not included in that.
I was also told if you can shoot for a '97. I do not know why.

My advice:
Buy from the south or west (away from the coast)
Try for a '97 with low mileage
'95's do not have a glove box.