XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 xj6/xj12 electric window and mirrors not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 04:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X300 xj6/xj12 electric window and mirrors not working

Hi fellow JAG owners. I'm hoping somebody with the knowledge or experience of resolving this problem may help me.

I bought a 1996 XJ6 not too long ago and I am having a problem with the driver side window not working. All other windows work from the driver switch and the front passenger side window works from that switch.
None of the rear windows work from their respective switches. And the electric mirrors do not work.
I believe I have checked all the correct, associated fuses, although there is a possibility I might have missed some. But all the fuses I checked were intact. And I would assume that wouldn't be an issue since most of the windows do actually work.
so I plucked up the courage and purchased a working replacement driver window switch, at a small fortune, but unfortunately that hasn't solved the issue either.
Does anybody know what to check next without dismantling the car!!!!!

is the driver window on the same circuit as the mirrors? Or does it share the same circuit as the rear windows? I assumed it would at least be the same for either side of the car.

Just looking for a bit of advice before I have to start playing with electrics next.

I really do appreciate any help.
And I really would like some help here.

Thanks all

Old 06-28-2024, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 807 Posts

What I found with mine was the master driver door controller connector had the lock bar that holds the pins in the connector loose allowing the pins to migrate away from contact even though the connector was on

There are 2 types of master controllers , one with and one without the 3 small round memory position buttons

Last edited by Parker 7; 06-28-2024 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-28-2024, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Parker 7
What I found with mine was the master driver door controller connector had the lock bar that holds the pins in the connector loose allowing the pins to migrate away from contact even though the connector was on

There are 2 types of master controllers , one with and one without the 3 small round memory position buttons
Hi. Thanks for replying.
I suppose that could be an option and i will certainly have a look at the connectors when i next get a chance.
im just thinking whether or not a faulty connector would prevent certain functions working not not others. I have connected and disconnected the switch several times and tried a replacement switch etc, so I would expect a loose connection might show itself. But I will definitely check the connectors out.
a wiring diagram of the switch connectors would be a great help if anybody knows where I could get one from. Then I could at least test the individual functions.

Thanks again for the reply

Old 06-28-2024, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

The pins just have to back out a tiny bit , best to look if the pins are flush with the face of the connector

Wiring guide for 96 and windows I believe are section 17

jagxj1996.pdf (jagrepair.com)

Last edited by Parker 7; 06-28-2024 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 996 Likes on 676 Posts

There is a mirror/steering column movement module marked TRW right behind the lower left dash panel. Does your steering column move? Also Fuse F6, 5A in the LH heelboard fuse box is for seat control modules, door switchpack and mirror motors. Likely it is ok if some of the windows work. Do your seats move?

If I recall correctly the little switch between the rear window lift rockers on the main switchpack will turn off the rear window switches at the rear doors.

The following users liked this post:
Parker 7 (06-29-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 08:32 AM

Thanks again to all those who have taken the time to reply. Still haven't gotten to the source of the issue yet, but haven't properly had time to thoroughly investigate either.
My JAG is the Executive edition so appears to be missing lots of the creature comforts being mentioned above. It doesn't have the electric/memory seats or adjustable column, so I guess that rules that option out. As for the little switch on the switch pack, I assumed this would be to lock out the rear window switches. But unfortunately whatever position I place it in does not seem to have any effect at all. The rear window switches fail to do anything.
I will keep messing about with the connectors and checking fuses for now. I have read somewhere that it could be to do with broken wires in the door, so I suppose checking them is also an option. Grrrr!!

Old 07-01-2024, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

The tiny rotary switch on the steering collum would be marked Auto and Off for the seats and steering collum exiting the car retract , but your model may be missing that switch

The exec model should not have the master door controller that has the small round " M " memory buttons

The rear windows keep locked switch I think also locks closed the rear door latches ( door lock position switch agreement to the SLCM )

A thing about powering the security system external components and independent items like mirrors and windows and an easy try is swapping the left and right heelboard fuse boxes king relay in the corner of the fuse box with the left engine bay fuse box ( only runs the horn ) as see how that works for a couple days

On all fuse boxes fuse # 1 - 9 are hot at all times

Fuse # 10 . 12 , 14 , 16 require the king relay in the corner of the fuse box to close

Leaving the rest of the fuse boxes to be hot at all times

The main fuse powering the SLCM is either fuse # 3 or # 4 in the trunk ( hot at all times )

Last edited by Parker 7; 07-01-2024 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-03-2024, 09:29 AM

Hi all. I just wanted to say thanks to all those who took time to reply to my question. I have finally resolved the issue and it turned out to be one of the fuses in the left side heel board had blown. Not sure how I missed it as I am sure I checked every single fuse at every location on the car one-by-one. The problem had been bugging me since I bought the car and the fuses were the first places I checked.
Oh well. Serves me right for not being thorough during my initial investigations. But at least now I have a spare window switch should I ever need one in the future. Haha!
Although, on a more positive note, the mirror toggle switch on the original switch module was broken anyway so at least this has been sorted.

Anyway, I appreciate all the help. And now I have another question I am seeking assistance with abwith the cruise control. But I will start a new thread for that one

Thanks again

The following users liked this post:
SleekJag12 (07-06-2024)