XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300/XJR Key Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 10:53 PM
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Question X300/XJR Key Question

So I have a question about the keys in my 1997 XJR... I've heard that the US market cars never got an immobilizer/transponder/chip, is this true? I'm located in the US, and my keys seem to have gone missing, so I'm looking into getting a replacement if they don't turn up sometime in the next couple of days and was looking for some help.

From what I remember, my key situation is a bit odd actually. I had/have the green and black key, but they don't work as intended. My green key will do the doors, glovebox, and trunk, but not the ignition. My black key will do the ignition, doors, and glovebox, but not the trunk. And although US cars (from what I've heard) never came with a transponder, I remember one of my keys having the little "D" shaped bulge in the top like it was a chipped key, which makes me think it was possibly replaced once before?

Also, assuming I don't have a transponder/immobilizer, is there an easy way to get the key code from the VIN? I obviously don't have my original key to look at and get the code from at this moment.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

no immobilizers on these cars. if your local dealer has a cutting machine, all codes are still stored on a database. over here they cut for $20, just buy a $5 ebay blank and give it to them

you could use an 8 cut tibbe pick to decode it yourself if you have no other options

Last edited by xalty; 05-12-2021 at 11:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 11:19 PM

Thanks, I'll call up the dealer tomorrow and see if they'd be willing to cut it for me, or if they would if I brought my own blank. My nearest Jaguar dealer doesn't have the best reputation for servicing, so hopefully they'd be willing and wouldn't charge an arm and a leg.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by xalty
no immobilizers on these cars. if your local dealer has a cutting machine, all codes are still stored on a database. over here they cut for $20, just buy a $5 ebay blank and give it to them
The nearest Jaguar dealer closed today, so I ended up calling one in a different state but still within a reasonable distance. They said they do not have a database of key codes, they do not cut keys, they will take the VIN and send it to Jaguar and Jaguar will send back a cut key. They also said that my car has an immobilizer which I did not think any US market car came with one.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:25 PM

Called around to a few more dealers. All but one said they could not cut it in house and would have to order it pre-cut from Jaguar because they could not get the codes. However, the dealer in Charlotte said they had the machine to cut them in house, but would not do it with a blank I brought them and they would have to order it themselves (and would only order them as a pair so it would be about $300).

With that being said: every dealer said the car had a transponder system according to their computer. I pulled off the steering wheel cowl and verified that my car is not equipped with it. So my plan of action from here is maybe see if one of the dealers will give me my key code without actually having to physically go there and to buy the key from them, or maybe see if I can decipher the key code from a blurry picture I found of my keys after I bought the car.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

i can buy a blank and go to my dealer and get it done for you. only problem is they technically require proof of ownership

i just bring in a photo copy of registration, pretend to be the owner and the guy at the counter looks the other way

Mkii250 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 06:46 PM

i can buy a blank and go to my dealer and get it done for you. only problem is they technically require proof of ownership

i just bring in a photo copy of registration, pretend to be the owner and the guy at the counter looks the other way
I'll keep it in mind, Right now I'm trying to figure out the key code from the picture and I can get one from a car key place in Virginia which is not too far from me. If that fails, I'll be in touch with a PM

Old 05-13-2021, 09:04 PM
Received 210 Likes on 143 Posts

That key looks to be cut 1-2-3-1-1-2-2-3. Anyone who cuts Tibbe keys should be able to make you a working key. I ordered mine from user Sone here on jaguarforums.

The following 2 users liked this post by 944play:
Mkii250 (05-14-2021), motorcarman (05-24-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 12:30 AM
Received 212 Likes on 112 Posts

Strange how we can read keys, I agree with the above code.
I have ordered $35 replacements and they work fine, but don't have the Jaguar logos.
SNG Barratt have blank keys with logos but I don't know if hey can cut them.

Mkii250 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 995 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckleSpring
So I have a question about the keys in my 1997 XJR... I've heard that the US market cars never got an immobilizer/transponder/chip, is this true? I'm located in the US, and my keys seem to have gone missing, so I'm looking into getting a replacement if they don't turn up sometime in the next couple of days and was looking for some help.
If I recall correctly: the new for 1997 XK8 got the first transponder chip, followed by the XJ8 for 1998 and going forward.
From what I remember, my key situation is a bit odd actually. I had/have the green and black key, but they don't work as intended. My green key will do the doors, glovebox, and trunk, but not the ignition. My black key will do the ignition, doors, and glovebox, but not the trunk. And although US cars (from what I've heard) never came with a transponder, I remember one of my keys having the little "D" shaped bulge in the top like it was a chipped key, which makes me think it was possibly replaced once before?
Cutting a new key with that code (which I concur with) will leave you with the same problem. In fact, you should cut two keys to represent the black (narrow tip) and green (wide tip) heads so you hopefully have full function.

The car may have had some key lock mischief happening in the past. But maybe newly cut keys will work better than the old worn keys. Is the key in the picture an aftermarket cut? The first flat for the "1" looks narrow as if it wasn't cut accurately, possibly causing issues like you describe.
Also, assuming I don't have a transponder/immobilizer, is there an easy way to get the key code from the VIN? I obviously don't have my original key to look at and get the code from at this moment.
I think you discovered how complex and expensive it would be to source them from a Jaguar dealer. Especially if they think you have a transponder! I'd go to Sone here first or your local Tibbe guy.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:55 AM
Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Yes true, none of the North American X300's didn't come with a transponder; the European ones did so that's why you may see a spot for a transponder on your key

The code to cut the key is linked to the last 6 digits of your car's VIN. That's what the dealer will use to cut you a key; so your original key is not needed. The dealer will only ask for proof of ownership of the car. It's not too expensive either. I don't have the cost from the top of my head but I remember being pleasantly surprised how little the dealer charged me vs what I thought a Jaguar dealer would cost

Old 05-17-2021, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by someguywithajag
Yes true, none of the North American X300's didn't come with a transponder; the European ones did so that's why you may see a spot for a transponder on your key

The code to cut the key is linked to the last 6 digits of your car's VIN. That's what the dealer will use to cut you a key; so your original key is not needed. The dealer will only ask for proof of ownership of the car. It's not too expensive either. I don't have the cost from the top of my head but I remember being pleasantly surprised how little the dealer charged me vs what I thought a Jaguar dealer would cost
it comes down to which ones still have a machine

they collect dust for months. mine does it for 20 bucks if you bring your blank.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:05 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
If I recall correctly: the new for 1997 XK8 got the first transponder chip, followed by the XJ8 for 1998 and going forward.

Cutting a new key with that code (which I concur with) will leave you with the same problem. In fact, you should cut two keys to represent the black (narrow tip) and green (wide tip) heads so you hopefully have full function.

The car may have had some key lock mischief happening in the past. But maybe newly cut keys will work better than the old worn keys. Is the key in the picture an aftermarket cut? The first flat for the "1" looks narrow as if it wasn't cut accurately, possibly causing issues like you describe.

I think you discovered how complex and expensive it would be to source them from a Jaguar dealer. Especially if they think you have a transponder! I'd go to Sone here first or your local Tibbe guy.
As far as I know the keys in the pic are original to the car (according to the previous/first owner). He didn't mention any kind of previous key shenanigans when I called him up, so who knows. The replacement key I ordered also has the smaller end like the non-valet key should, but doesn't work in the trunk. I'm not going to worry about it though

it comes down to which ones still have a machine

they collect dust for months. mine does it for 20 bucks if you bring your blank.
Ended up ordering a key via eBay from the code based on the pic of the key I posted earlier in the thread. The key works great, the car runs once again! Oddly enough, the key doesn't work in the trunk... I'm not too worried about it though, I'm just going to fix the electronic trunk release and get a key fob for the car and I'm fine with not having an actual key for the trunk.

Cafcpete (05-24-2021)