XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 xjr...wont start....yes another one!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts
Default X300 xjr...wont start....yes another one!

have a 95 xjr

Ive been away a while so battery was flat but now all charged

power for everything....lights....seats etc....everything lights up on the dash....does its checks....then dash lights goes out as you expect

except the check engine light ?

then turn the key....nothing....not a peep...no starter motor click....no dimming of power.....simply nothing at all !!

another odd thing is that my key fob isnt unlocking or locking the doors.....related?

wot should start checking for

started up fine last time i used it before long break

Im only home for another day so would like some suggestions as to what to check for

Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

It is likely to be either the + connection or the ground. Check the ground strap between the engine bellhousing and the chassis, by disconnecting and cleaning. Also check power to the starter relay at the left front of the engine compartment, first on the right looking forward, then at the starter. Obviously someone has to be turning the key to start osition for the last two.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Non starter

Do you have an immobiliser on the car? It might be staying on, given the issue you are having with the fob. Everything will light up as you state, but that will be your lot, no cranking. Try changing the fob battery and reset the alarm/immobiliser.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Default thanks guys....good stuff so far

battery seems to have power enuf as lights work full strength....and dont dim when i turn key...just nothing happens when i do

fob lights seem bright but will change battery

dont know how to reset the immobilizer but from what your saying there is clearly a way....I will google it

was also thinking it might be inertia switch from reading some other threads so will also checkiit

keep em coming ....you never know ...it might turn out to be something else

any member living in southend on-sea essex UK who fancies dropping round to my place and help me scratch my head over a cup of tea will be very appreciated

Old 12-08-2012, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by xxxscimitarxxx
battery seems to have power enuf as lights work full strength....and dont dim when i turn key...just nothing happens when i do

fob lights seem bright but will change battery

dont know how to reset the immobilizer but from what your saying there is clearly a way....I will google it

was also thinking it might be inertia switch from reading some other threads so will also checkiit

keep em coming ....you never know ...it might turn out to be something else

any member living in southend on-sea essex UK who fancies dropping round to my place and help me scratch my head over a cup of tea will be very appreciated
I feel your pain! I am trying to track down a dead dash myself. No instruments and no apparent cause. Plenty of head scratching here also, but fellow owners are thin on the ground. Our budget here in Ireland this week saw my annual road tax go from €1,600.00+ per annum to €1,800.00+. And yes, the inertia switch may also be possibility. Regarding resetting the immobiliser, I meant, resetting the fob, as in going through the sequence to marry the fob to your car. It is well covered here in the archives and takes 2 minutes. Keep us posted. And check all those (millions of) earths!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Default ahhh....reprog the fob

Ok will look for that

are you tellinh me 1800 irish quid to tax an older car like ours....Phu& me!

thats criminal extortion....gangsters arent that bad

as for inertia switch I got to it and it wasnt tripped....so thats out

my dash light up on turn of key no probs....then I wait a few seconds...most ligts go out as normal but check engine stays on

if l lock car with key.....fob unlocks it.....but wont lock it

would appreciate a guide to forum location for the reprogramming if you could

Old 12-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

I just happened to see this yesterday:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ers-faq-33580/

Old 12-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Default just tried again

thanks to all

just found the official jag data on another thread....as described in your links also

driver door and boot open

turned on ignition

pressed the valet switch five times.....1 beep and lights flashed

pressed lock button on trans fob once

all done right?

Nah!....didnt have it....so got out of car and shut doors and trunk

test....

when fob lock button pressed i get a beep but it wont lock doors.....

lock doors manally ....then fob unlock button will unlock doors and same from inside if door buttons pressed down manually

Unlock the doors manually....get continuous beep until l press fob unlock....then beep beep

hmmmmmmmm

and still wont turn over

Last edited by xxxscimitarxxx; 12-08-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 PM

thanks to all

just found the official jag data on another thread....as described in your links also

driver door and boot open

turned on ignition

pressed the valet switch five times.....1 beep and lights flashed

pressed lock button on trans fob once

all done right?

Nah!....didnt have it....so got out of car and shut doors and trunk

test....

when fob lock button pressed i get a beep but it wont lock doors.....

lock doors manally ....then fob unlock button will unlock doors and same from inside if door buttons pressed down manually

Unlock the doors manually....get continuous beep until l press fob unlock....then beep beep

hmmmmmmmm

and still wont turn over
From memory, there is more to the sequence, after rocking valet switch 5 times there is a point where you rock it once again. This is for the xj6 x300 by the way. Regarding the road tax, it's a bit over €1,800. per annum. Thats Euros, not pounds, but not cheap either way. The difference between a politician and a mugger is that a mugger usually has a gun!

Old 12-08-2012, 03:51 PM

out i go again....one last try.....gettin cold out here

thanks

but got a feelin with my luck its not going to happen

EUREKA....

I owe you a drink

it was the last press of the valet key sorted it

but still no start :-(.........ah well....one less thing....now to look for bad earths or blown fuses

many many many many thanks

Dave

Last edited by xxxscimitarxxx; 12-08-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Default last thing before bed and flight to ukraine in the morning

many thanks to sogood and all who chipped in and got me sorted on the fob reprogramme but the main issue of a no start is still there

key fob does what is should as far as opening and closing door locks so Im assuming security system isnt having anything to do with the no start issue now

so now situation is simply that nothing happens after key in / turn to power up the guages / wait a sec or two / gauges go out exept the 'check engine light' ....turn key to start ....and absolutely nothing.....no click no turn....nothing at all

???

Dave

Old 12-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Remove the lower cover on the steering column and jiggle the wires leading to the ignition switch to see if you might have a short. Worth a shot.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 AM

Yep! you are right.....common sense place to start ...Unfortunately I ran out common sence earlier in the day

thank you

also.....

Code readers for our cars (as one might help if i used it)....

As i recall there was a split year in the model range when OBDII came in or did that just happen when the X308 went into production

I thought that early X300 did not have OBDII and later ones did with split 94 95 didnt as i recall....then 96 97 did

anyone confirm

Last edited by xxxscimitarxxx; 12-09-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:05 AM

many thanks to sogood and all who chipped in and got me sorted on the fob reprogramme but the main issue of a no start is still there

key fob does what is should as far as opening and closing door locks so Im assuming security system isnt having anything to do with the no start issue now

so now situation is simply that nothing happens after key in / turn to power up the guages / wait a sec or two / gauges go out exept the 'check engine light' ....turn key to start ....and absolutely nothing.....no click no turn....nothing at all

???

Dave
Somewhere else worth looking is the "not in park" switch beside the gear lever. Its beneath the ski slope console to the right of the lever. It prevents a start while the car is in gear and exhibits your symptoms pretty much. One simple test that often works is to put the car in neutral and try to start it. Or move the gearstick, slowly, around the park and or neutral position, with the key turned (as if trying to start the car) Sometimes you hit a sweet spot and the car starts. If so, theres your problem. Open up the ski slope and you will see the switch has some adjustment/movement to activate the little lever that operates a microswitch. Worth a look see?

Old 12-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Default thanks again

I could see that might be an issue but it didnt have any effect on my starting on the key either when I put the shifter in neutral to start it or when wiggling it about in park....I can hear the switch clicking in n out in park and the whole thing seems to work ok

As Im now back in Ukraine Im going to have to either leave this for another few months til l next get back for more head scratching or have some mobile car sparky over to sort it....and I really hate doing that

going to google for code reading methods for 95 xjrs and see if that can help

Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

I thought that early X300 did not have OBDII and later ones did with split 94 95 didnt as i recall....then 96 97 did

anyone confirm
'95 x300's for the North American market do have an OBDII port. I'm uncertain if OBDII was supported on '95's elsewhere. On North American market cars, the port is located beneath the steering wheel to the right flush against the center console. Owners of '95's report having no issues reading codes, although some say they can't extinguish the check engine light.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 PM

I'm wondering have you checked all of the obvious electrical connections? Battery positive and negative, negative earth/s and connections at the starter itself?

Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 AM

Im geting a new battery anyway as the one I have in is man enough but not the right shape....however

having got to the points previously mentioned ...key in...turn...gauges lights run sequence...they go out...only one left is 'check engine'

and then even with headlights full lights on...when i turn the switch to crank position nothing happens at all and the head lights dont dim a jot...its like the cranking circuit is not getting any signal let alone power

only thing that happens when i turn is the air bag light falshes on while key is held to crank but that is normal

terminals are all clean corrosion free and tight...my gear isolator is working i think as it clicks in park when shifter is wiggled in the notch at the top

will check to see if the ignition barrel hasnt dropped a connection

Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default try the body module or taking the battery

im new here but i have some experiance with jaguars x300 i have 3 off them 1995 1996 1995 xj6. 1st try to disconnet the battery cables off for about 15 minutes and back in... or souns like a bad body processor module i have pleaty off spare parts let me know if you need any part parting out all off mine thank you can email me at huileca@gmail.com

Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Default Thanks for chipping in Gregorio

I have had the car diconnected for several times for that period and still didnt have it

as for parts Im guessing that with me being in the UK then your parts might cost a bit to post from CA to England

But thanks for guide....doesnt mean to say it isnt the problem....might need to source one in UK tho

Quick Reply: X300 xjr...wont start....yes another one!