XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 year preference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, welcome to JaguarForums!

The 96 and 97 are pretty much the same. The only difference that I know of is that in the back sear in the 97 the middle seat is a 3 point belt while in the 96 it is a simple waist belt. I personally prefer the aesthetics of a 3 point belt in the 97.

Now, when distinguishing a 95 from a 96, there are several more changes, one is that in 95 no LWB models were available, while in 96 they were. For a VDP, I'd get the 96 because it's longer. There are also some upgrades/changes from the 95 to the 96 years such as: thicker window glass, IMHO better looking rims, a glove box, less likely to have a broken rear view mirror, and perhaps more I've forgotten. Most importantly, a 96 is a year younger than the 95. All else equal, I'd take the 96.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Steven nailed it. If you are looking at 95 and 96 and both VDP's, you just need to decide whether or not you want the extra rear seat legroom offered by the 96. I think the 4 1/2 or 5" extra wheelbase somehow shows up as about 10" extra in rear seat floor space - at least that's how it looks!

The only other differentiator if similar miles would be maintenance history. Do a search and you'll find several threads here on common problems they are prone to over time and miles and see which as the most troublesome/expensive ones repaired already.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts

There was only one really significant change made to the X300 that I've been able to find: Some early examples didn't idle too smoothly and so the cams were reprofiled to correct this. The issue was discussed in THIS thread, see posts 12 and 13.

The idle thing isn't a serious problem. My 1995 X300 has it - just a minor irritation really, as it ONLY happens in idle.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

i have a 96 and ive got to say the best bet so far. if 97 isnt much different then id go with that one. 1995 was the first year for the x300 so they always have the most bugs.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile solid cars

the x300 series (that is the internal name for a xj 6 95 -97) is most reliable. You can choose from 95 to 97 without hesitation. The 4 l is better than the 3,2 l version in regard to full efficiency. Also the automat gearbox is different.
If I was you I would have a look in regard to maintenance. Regularly maintained?, by qualified dealer?, in which environment was the car used? etc.
Mileage is not that important. You better take a good cared for "long distance model" with 150k miles than a "city hopper" with 90k.
At least that is my advice from Europe.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by etaent
i have a 96 and ive got to say the best bet so far. if 97 isnt much different then id go with that one. 1995 was the first year for the x300 so they always have the most bugs.
While they are all good, the 95 does tend to have more problems than the 96 or 97.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

I have a 97 VDP and can honestly say that it has been a fantastically reliable automobile. We bought it with 42k on the clock when it was ten years old. I have done regular oil changes, changed the plugs once, replaced a faulty coil and replaced the water pump. The belts got changed with the pump and the upper hose was changed at the same time. Oh yeah, i put tires on it once. Sure, there are some items that don't work, like I had to switch the passengers seat module to the driver's seat because the driver's module quit working. And the center vent that the flaps don't move together. The sunroof is a junk setup but I don't use it. What it has of original paint, is fading. The car has just turned 90k and still runs strong. I would like to replace it, but I would also like to keep it. The X300 cars are some of the best cars Jaguar built. More people will say that about this run than any other. As far as which is better, we bought the VDP specifically because of the long wheel base. Had to fit a rear facing car seat in it and modern cars are not designed with this in mind along with a six foot four inch driver. Nothing like these cars out there.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I had '95 Daimler SWB , it was a better car than my '93 .I would say go for '97 assuming they came with thicker window glass

Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Mechanically, my '95 X300 has given me absolutely zero problems. Bought it with 120,000 on the clock, and after 3-1/2 years it's up to 161,000. Oh yeah, it has what I refer to as nuisance problems, for which this forum is extremely helpful. None of them has anything to do with the fact that it is my daily driver, has given me no problems operationally. The nuisance problems seem to be quite typical, like the telescoping steering column, rear view mirror, center vent flaps, paint starting to fade, etc. Things like front shocks & bushings, brakes, tires, which I consider normal wear on any vehicle, have been the the most expensive bills I've had. And they were no more expensive than would be for any car of any manufacturer.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Nuisance problems" -- ha ha.

I had a 97-L and now have a '96 VDP. I would say go as late model as possible, which would be 97 assuming you want to stick with a 6 cylinder.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hi welcome, i have 95 4.0 181000 miles on clock changed front shocks and springs now on with bushes, had car four years one set of tyres. all as i would call wear and tear still running like a jag should, good luck to you mate

Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,888 Likes on 7,158 Posts

While there were some changes and improvements along the way I would classify them as minor so, personally, I wouldn't get too fixated on model year. I'd go for whichever candidate is in the best condition and had rec'd the best care.

Don't forget to look at repair history. Recently replaced shocks, suspension bushings, differential, rear wheels bearings (all known problem areas) would be a real "plus". That's money the seller has spent that the buyer won't have to.

An exceptional condition '95 would be a better, safer buy than an average condition '97.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,888 Likes on 7,158 Posts

Just realized that the OP hasn't posted back at all. Looks like we've been talking to ourselves, chaps.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Just realized that the OP hasn't posted back at all. Looks like we've been talking to ourselves, chaps.

Eh, it happens right? Anyway, I was wondering what people were paying for those cars. I might sell mine in the near future. I would like someone to get it that would take care of it and truly enjoy it rather than trading it in. I would like to see what kind of price range is out there. I don't have a lot of faith in Autotrader and ebay prices as they are not what people are necessarily paying. Maybe i should post this as a new topic. Thoughts anyone?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

They don't bring ahelluvalotta cash. I've seen excellent low mileage cars bring a max of $7,500.00 USD. I paid $3,500.00 USD cash for my '96 with a 100K on the clock. It had been taken care of but the paint and tires were shot. I've put new tires, 4 wheel brakes including pads rotors and hoses, water pump and hoses and a power steering pump. srviced the trans. Did all the work myself and used good quality parts both Jaguar and AM. This weekend I am cleaning the throttle body. I will soon be replacing the rear sub-frame mounts and all shocks (dampers). I'll paint the car myself this coming fall, replace the sound system, add window tint, do some interior clean up and refurb and maybe a few other toys and... So far I probably have $4,500.00 USD into it and when I'm finished perhaps $8,500 - $9,000. No payment book, all cash and for a luxury sedan that may very well last me the rest of my life (60). I split driving between this car and my '95 XJS convertible, also paid for. So for little more than insurance and gas I ride my azz around in two very nice automobiles. Don't care at all that they're both pushing 20 years old. And especially so when I listen to my neighbors b!tch about their $500 and $600 per month car payments.

The following users liked this post:
zweijag (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I fully agree

Originally Posted by Roger95
They don't bring ahelluvalotta cash. I've seen excellent low mileage cars bring a max of $7,500.00 USD. I paid $3,500.00 USD cash for my '96 with a 100K on the clock. It had been taken care of but the paint and tires were shot. I've put new tires, 4 wheel brakes including pads rotors and hoses, water pump and hoses and a power steering pump. srviced the trans. Did all the work myself and used good quality parts both Jaguar and AM. This weekend I am cleaning the throttle body. I will soon be replacing the rear sub-frame mounts and all shocks (dampers). I'll paint the car myself this coming fall, replace the sound system, add window tint, do some interior clean up and refurb and maybe a few other toys and... So far I probably have $4,500.00 USD into it and when I'm finished perhaps $8,500 - $9,000. No payment book, all cash and for a luxury sedan that may very well last me the rest of my life (60). I split driving between this car and my '95 XJS convertible, also paid for. So for little more than insurance and gas I ride my azz around in two very nice automobiles. Don't care at all that they're both pushing 20 years old. And especially so when I listen to my neighbors b!tch about their $500 and $600 per month car payments.
I bought a 97 4l executive when it was 6 years old with 126k km on the teller. (or is a car a she? I do not know)
Paid EUR 12.500. Because I am not a "handy" man I left the repairs to a jaguar dealer. All in all I invested incl. repairs EUR 18k and have a beautifully riding car which gives my wife and me a lot of pleasure regardless of autobahn to A- down to C-roads. Shall keep it as long as reasonable. Now we have made 247k km and still a fine car. I become 59 soon and do not see any reason for a change. Let us grow old together.

It is the most elegant car bearing the XJ sign (at least this is my opinion).
The only thing sometimes tricky are the parking boots in German cities.
They are not designed for large cars as in the USA so you have to find you a space large enough.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Mark,

I'd second Roger - spent a lot of time here in TX a couple of years ago looking for mine and looked at quite a few X300's...many more ads still, and I concluded at that time my view of market-value on the X300 was somewhere between $6.0k-$8.5K in excellent condition. Whilst looking, I'd ask myself, "What $$ would it take to acquire and then get it to the condition I wanted it?" and if the answer was much greater than $7k, I'd move on. Ended up buying a forum member's car with 63k for 6.5 and couldn't be happier. ABS module had the common failure, the headliner wasn't "sagging" but had a bit of looseness, heated seats didn't heat, memory function doesn't quite work, and frt door speakers were shot - otherwise was perfect! 1.5 yrs in and I've fixed the ABS module and speakers, have 103K on the clock and will get to those seat-htrs this summer, the headliner if it gets worse and doubt I'll mess with the memory function. Wouldn't sell it for what I paid for it....heck...wouldn't sell it a all....just too perfect for me - but I'd reckon the prevailing market would indicate somewhere around $7k for a really nice one, give or take a grand.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, heck guys i'll give you my thoughts,, i've got a 1995 xj6, i bought it in 1996, its been the best car i've ever own. I've had very little problems as far as i'm concern, normal things..just did rear wheel bearing, for the 2nd time, but will in the future re-pack them every 20to30 k miles. The only proble now is check engine lite came on, again after a yr, so did the usuall ran some seafoam, bought new air filter, then decide about time to clean TB, hell took the rubber diapham lookign thingy, hell had a big ole split in it, geez, then took the other end off the air chamber, hell the plastic had collaspe, do to who ever over tighten the hose clamp, geezzzzzzzz!! o well all in all bought both new hoses and new air chamber box thru jag dealer for 140 dollars.. So still the best car i've had and i'm 63, car got 193,000 on her, so just might last the rest of my life tooooo lol........................got a few more things over the coming months, ball joints, etc etc,

The best car
Geno

Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I got a 96 xj6 and by far its been the best car ive ever had! i got it for 2750 and put 3000 in to it and i havent looked back! Best money invested in a car by far! I dont regret the investment at all and i do most of the work myself so 3000 has gone a really long way! 94000 and encounting!

Quick Reply: X300 year preference?