XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJ6 Battery Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,892 Likes on 7,161 Posts

Originally Posted by frank
. Can anyone help me narrow down this problem. Thank you.

Personally at this point I would check inputs and outputs at the starter relay and work upstream or downstream from there. Frank, do you have a 12v test light ?

Cheers
DD

Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Could be a failing ignition relay. That relay is a common fail point and would explain your intermittent no start condition. In the engine compartment on the right hand side, there is a fusebox. Nearest to the windshield on that fuse box is a blue relay. That's the troublesome little bugger you might want to look at.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I investigated this problem also and I discovered that the (+) cable from battery to the starter was extremely loose. So, I disconnected the (-) cable at the battery and tighten the nut nice and snug. You will need a long 1/2" ratchet boxend combination wrench. You can reach from above on drivers side between valve cover and fuel rail close to firewall. This solved my issue and hopefully its the same for you. Goodluck!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

The OP says he has 'full power' so I assume his lights don't go out when he tries to start which is what you'd expect with bad battery connections - having said that cleaning up those connections never does any harm.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 PM

Hi guys thanks for all the input. So here's the latest checked the processor module. And gems unit on passenger side kick panel. The gems had corrosion on contacts like it had gotten wet. Replaced it with one from junkyard. Still no luck. Well I decided to try something.
I jacked up the car on right hand side passenger side to look at the contacts on the starter. Everything was tight

But I sat in the car and tried the cat. And bam it started. Again And again.

I let the jack down and no start. I jack it up on passenger side and bam I can start it. Will someone please help me and tell me what issue I'm having??

Thank you.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Check the condition of the battery ground cable. Give it a bend about every 2 inches to feel if it's "crunchy".

Old 11-16-2012, 02:25 AM

Ok I'm going to check negative cable by battery. Any other suggestions?? Car will only start if I jack up passengar side with jack. Otherwise if car is level. It won't turn over. Meaning it will not engage starter. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:15 AM
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts
Default battery change

One of the techs might be able to answer, is there a mercury switch as part of the anti-theft system?

Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 PM

Negative terminal is fine. I'm stumped. Changed battery I can only start the car when I jack up the passenger side
Please help. Thank you.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Negative terminal is fine. I'm stumped. Changed battery I can only start the car when I jack up the passenger side
Please help. Thank you.

The diagrams show an "inclination sensor" mounted in the left front area of the trunk.

I dunno how to test it or if it would cause a "no start" but I'll try to find out.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 PM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
The diagrams show an "inclination sensor" mounted in the left front area of the trunk.

I dunno how to test it or if it would cause a "no start" but I'll try to find out.

Cheers
DD
Doug,

As my neighbours have never allowed me to forget from an incident in the early hours of the morning a few years ago, the "inclination sensor" sets off the alarm on a UK spec X300 when the front of the vehicle is raised by more than 15 degrees.

On UK X300's it's activated with the alarm system.

The alarm setup varies around the different World markets and this may not apply elsewhere.

Graham

Old 11-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Doug,

As my neighbours have never allowed me to forget from an incident in the early hours of the morning a few years ago, the "inclination sensor" sets off the alarm on a UK spec X300 when the front of the vehicle is raised by more than 15 degrees.

On UK X300's it's activated with the alarm system.

The alarm setup varies around the different World markets and this may not apply elsewhere.

Graham

Right, multiple variations. The text of the service manual and the schematics are in direct conlfict as to USA market cars having this sensor. Schematics show it; the text excludes it.

I dunno.

If Frank's car has one, it'll be on a metal bracket just below the left trunk lid hinge...as far as I can tell.

In the text of the service and owners manuals I couldn't find any explicit explanation as to which alarm features can inhibit engine cranking.....other than the "immobilizer" igntion key which we know is not used on USA cars.

I'm stumped

Cheers
DD

Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Please help. Thank you.

The only thing that I can think of, Frank, is to A) see if your car has the inclination sensor (see my reply to GGG) and B), if it does have this sensor, unbolt it from the car and have a helper tilt it in various directions while you try starting the engine.

If this doesn't pan out I think you'll have to take the car to a capable auto electrician and have him work thru the system....and it's virtually a given that he'll need to have the schematics and manuals to sort out anything related to the security system.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member

Why isn't it just a starter ground problem ?
Bending the chassis makes ground contact.
Try a voltmeter from the starter body to a known good ground - if you get +12V when you try to crank it is the starter ground strap.
This thread has a quick fix if that's the problem
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esolved-84962/

Last edited by steveinfrance; 11-19-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 PM

Wow. I just want to say thank you to all that tried to help and to those that helped me get it.

It was a bad ground on the starter. I added a ground to the motor to the chassis and it starts every time.

Thank you thank you.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 PM

Thank you Steveinfrance!!!!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:38 AM

Hello guys! I've been having the same issues. I found the connection from the battery loose. Now that I have fixed that it turn over crank after numerous tries. I have done some research and found out that the crankshaft position sensor if faulty will not allow spark to the spark plugs by way of the ECU.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

Wow. I just want to say thank you to all that tried to help and to those that helped me get it.

It was a bad ground on the starter. I added a ground to the motor to the chassis and it starts every time.

Thank you thank you.

Great news. Gotta love an easy fix. Steve gets a medal for the ever-important "go back to the basics" advice :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 11-23-2012, 04:07 AM

Again want to thank Steve for helping me get my cat running. So now that it starts and I can drive it.

I am having some issues and I was wondering maybe you guys can help me solve them.

When I step on the gas the car bogs like stalls.
Loss of power. So I have to back off on stepping on the gas. Then step on it again. And it goes.

Any advice ?

Old 11-23-2012, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

Glad it worked - Doug was on the right track earlier.
The first thing I'd do with your new problem is clean the throttle body.

Quick Reply: XJ6 Battery Change