XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Xj6 questions from the new Jaguar owner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xj6 questions from the new Jaguar owner.

Good morning all -
So, I just got a 96 Jaguar XJ6 & I have some questions! I have a couple lights on, on the dash. I want to find if there any correlation?! The lights that are on don't always stay on except one & it's the track off light. The 3 lights that keep coming on are the Anti-lock, the Track off & the track fail; however, the track fail doesn't come on that often! I don't know if there is a sensor problem? I read it could be that or some wiring could be corroded? If that's the case how would I clean the wiring? Where would that be located?
Also, I don't know if this is because I am not use to a rear wheel drive car, but I've notice at about 60-65 mph I feel a slight shake from the back end of the car, almost like a pull where in a way it feels like the cars pulling one way but driving another way if that makes sense? Like it's going straight, but pulling left?
Other than that I am going to start some work on it this next week & was wondering if anyone knows where I can get cheap coil packs for the tune up I want to do on the car?

Any XJ6 readers/owners since I am a new owner anything else I should be aware of with this model? How's the quality of the car? Is there any known re-calls I should look into?

Old 06-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,877 Likes on 7,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff96
Good morning all -
So, I just got a 96 Jaguar XJ6 & I have some questions! I have a couple lights on, on the dash. I want to find if there any correlation?! The lights that are on don't always stay on except one & it's the track off light. The 3 lights that keep coming on are the Anti-lock, the Track off & the track fail; however, the track fail doesn't come on that often! I don't know if there is a sensor problem? I read it could be that or some wiring could be corroded? If that's the case how would I clean the wiring? Where would that be located?

The wiring most commonly associate with ABS/Trac control problems is at the plug-in connectors at the units themselves...which ar on the right hand fenderwell towards the firewall.

Sometimes removing and reseating the connector seems to fix the problem. Note the the connector for the ABS is bolted in place.

Also, I don't know if this is because I am not use to a rear wheel drive car, but I've notice at about 60-65 mph I feel a slight shake from the back end of the car, almost like a pull where in a way it feels like the cars pulling one way but driving another way if that makes sense? Like it's going straight, but pulling left?

Off hand it sounds like a tire problem. You might put the rear tires on the front and see if anything changes

Other than that I am going to start some work on it this next week & was wondering if anyone knows where I can get cheap coil packs for the tune up I want to do on the car?

Coil pack are generally replaced on an as-needed basis, not a matter of routine, as they range from about $60-to-$160 each. Are you having a problem that points in the direction of the coils?

Anyhow, Rock Auto has coils for about $60 each.

Some have a problem with aftermarket coils not lasting very long so if your budget allows, buy genuine OEM replacements. I bought aftermarket....and have my fingers crossed taht they'll last.

Any XJ6 readers/owners since I am a new owner anything else I should be aware of with this model? How's the quality of the car? Is there any known re-calls I should look into?

Give a Jag dealer your VIN and they can check for open recalls.

These are very good cars, among the best made by Jaguar. But with age and mileage problems WILL eventually start cropping up.

If your car has an uncertain service history I would do a major service: replace all fluids and filters, repack front bearings, change spark plugs, etc.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome Jeff. The 95 - 97 XJ6 are some of the best Jags out there in terms of reliability and cost of ownership. That said, these cars are now over 15 years old and have been subject to the variables associated with different levels of owner car and repair shop expertise. Find a good independent Jag shop in your area and develop a relationship, it'll pay off in the long run!

The ABS/Trac issues. Have someone with IDS/Autologic/Autoenginuity/GDS510 equipment (there may be others but those are the ones I know) scan it for codes. Knowledge of the problem area will allow you to make decisions on what to do next.

The coil packs are very reliable. Don't replace them unless indicated. Do replace the spark plugs, use the factory spec, champion RC12YC, and use the original gap. There is nothing to be gained from a wider gap except putting greater demand/stress on the coils.

For the rear steer/tire issue. Rule out the tire and then check the rear fulcrum bearings (usually not a problem, but never say never).

Good luck, and enjoy.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagman1984
The coil packs are very reliable.

Yes, they are.....right up to the point where they start giving trouble :-) :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jeff96
Good morning all -
So, I just got a 96 Jaguar XJ6 & I have some questions!

By the way, the "X300" forum is actually the correct place to post questions about your model.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-12-2011, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Congrats ,I have just moved off your thread to proper area

Our friends quite explained well , just a few words from me :

Rusted wheel arches, broken LCD screens seem common failures to these beautiful rides , not big deals I wish you will have a good satisfaction with your choice

Old 06-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jeff,

I see you have been sorted by the other guys....

But a big welcome to this useful forum

Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Thanks for the advice!

Thanks everyone - The advice was really helpful & I'm learning a lot already!

I am going to change the spark plugs & clean up the engine today! I will take pictures and once I figure out how to post them I'll start posting & sharing with you gents!

The inside of the car is clean except the headliner is starting to sage, but I am getting that taken care of. Body wise there are a few spots where the clear coat is oxidized & the back tire wells & starting to bubble up a little, but I have a guy back home who does awesome body work and is starting to get pretty popular. He said he has a few Jag owners whose asked him to do some work for him & if I pay for materials and throw him a little extra he'll take care of the body work.

I am still learning about these cars. What does the X300 series mean? Also, when I went to look for filters & stuff the computer asked me if the car was a (dont quote me) a 4 or a 7 4.0 liter?

Thanks for the warm welcomes, and answering some of my questions!
Also, below is a link to a really cool Jaguar video I found!
**LINK** YouTube - ‪1998 Jaguar Manufacturer Promotional Video‬‏