XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJ6 Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XJ6 Running Rough

About 3 weeks ago I was coming home from work and I knew I was getting low on gas, but I had two ladies I carpool with in the car withe me and I thought I could wait untill I dropped them off and then I would fill up. My low fuel warning light came on and about two minutes later she started running rough, like she was missing. I filled up with gas and no change. I had a mechanic look at it and he said that my valve cover gasket was bad. Autozone tested the system and they said that Cyl. 1 was missing.

He replaced the gasket, cleaned up the oil , and replaced the plugs. The engine was still missing and it was stalling out. Replaced the ignition coil on cyl. 1 and it is not stalling out but it is missing really bad.

Here are the codes.
P0303 Cyl. 3 missing
P0301 Cyl. 1 missing
P1313 Manifold Control
P0430 Cat. B2
P0420 Cat. B1

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Terry

Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

From my experience, and what Ive heard the coils usually go out in pairs. So it is most likely that the coils went out at nearly the same time. I am not sure quite why this is, ive heard that its more of a Jaguar phenomenon more times than I have heard an actual explanation. So the best advice I have is rather than waste more money going through all the sensors looking for a solution, replace coil number three were the misfire is. Its going to be another 75 bucks but its worth it, rather than spending tons of money looking for another solution.

The following users liked this post:
tcarby (04-01-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not a mechanic. I can do a few things but I am generally lost once I get very far under the hood. The mechanic I had workin on the car read the codes and he said that they said the catalytic converters were bad. I had another mechanic tell me the same thing. Then I had two more mechanics tell me that bad converters would not make the miss and the chances of all 4 converters going bad at the same time were very high. So a guy that works with my wife who used to own a car lot told my wife about another guy who could probablly fix it. I let him trouble shoot the car and he found two coil wires crossed. The mechanic who changed the plugs must have crossed them. The car is running great. I don't know whether it the new plugs, the new coil or the injector cleaner but it is working fine. So now I have a spare injector and fuel filter in reserve. I don't know what was wrong in the first place but it is running great right now.

Thanks