XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJR 1996 will not turn over. Not been started for years.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJR 1996 will not turn over. Not been started for years.

Vechicle info:
  • XJR straight six compressor fed.
  • Imported from Japan (its left hand drive)
  • Originally sold in Germany
  • Been standing still for over 3 years with no batteri mounted
The info above pretty much sums opp the most important details for the car. It has been crashed a little in the right front fender and has some loose wires in this area, but I think they all are for auxialry and lamps etc.
The car will not cranck (starter is not turning) and I'm not sure why. I have just started too look at it and are not familiar with this car yet. I suspect that maybe since that car is quite modern and have been standing still for 3 years that there may be some "reboot" procedure? Im not sure and appricate all tips. The dash is lighting up and everything seems to turn on otherwise, it's just the starter that does not turn. I have checked grounds.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

With the key "on" does the "P" on the gearshift quadrant glow red or white? It should be red. If not, jiggle it around a bit until it does. Then turn the key to "start".

Does the starter now operate? If so, you need to adjust the switch on the RH side of the gearshift assembly. It's a box-like shape. The exact name escapes my memory at the moment as I'm only a few sips into my first coffee

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-22-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 08:47 AM

I did not notice that, but I will check for it! probably that's not the issue since it would be wierd if both car had that problen I think. at least the odds should be low but defenetly a good tip! thank you

Old 12-21-2020, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Please note that this is not the correct forum for your car. From the year of your car, you have an X300 series of XJ saloon, made 1994-1997 with the straight six AJ16 engine. Better advice on the correct forum, I reckon.

Don B (12-22-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

Turn the ignition on but don’t try to crank. The check engine light must stay on, that means it’s received the immobilizer code.

Don B (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 10:44 PM
Received 12,945 Likes on 6,468 Posts

Hi Thim,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I have moved your thread from the forum for the X350 to the forum for the X300, which is the generic Jaguar factory project code for your 1996 XJR. Here you will find knowledgeable owners of similar cars.

One thing to be aware of is that Jaguars require very strong, healthy batteries in order to start and function properly. Also, they are susceptible to corrosion on the many battery power and ground connections between the battery in the trunk/boot, and the false bulkhead in the engine bay, as well as the starter, alternator, Engine Control Module, Body Processor Module and other key components.

Another thing is that some critical engine management signals pass through two large plastic electrical connectors located roughly behind the right headlamp assembly, so some of your torn wires may be more important than you might think.

Is it possible the car sat for three years because the starter failed? Or the starter relay or ignition switch?

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-23-2020 at 09:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (12-28-2020), motorcarman (12-23-2020), MountainMan (12-28-2020), XJRay (12-30-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

If the car has been in a crash also check that the inertia switch hasn't been tripped. The switch Doug is referring to is called the linear switch. That tells the computer the position of the shifter, so will inhibit start in anything but P or N.

Don B (12-23-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 01:33 PM

Thank you! It's very possible that is the reason. I don't have much information on the car. I have checked all grounds and main pluss and have a new batteri fully charged. I have tested the starter and it has 12,84V from the large ground and positive cable. But the wire to the startermotor reley never gets any voltage when the key is turned. I think it may be as easy as it immobilizer or something. But how to I get the car out of that mode?

Old 12-25-2020, 01:34 PM

The car has a red light when the shifter is changed. What is this inertia switch and what does it do? :O

Old 12-25-2020, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

The inertia switch is designed to shut off the fuel pump in the even of a crash to prevent a fire. The button is behind the trim panel in the right side front footwell, between the firewall and the ECU.

However, no power at the starter suggest it is the security system is inhibiting the starter. Do you have the original keys, and if so are you using the black one, not the green one?

Old 12-26-2020, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 519 Likes on 370 Posts

Inertia switch symptoms are all dash lights on, then a big fat nothing when you turn the key to start position. It would be at the top of my list given the symptoms described.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:16 AM

Jagboi64 , Sound about right. I will check for it. From what you guys are telling me I think this may be the main problem togheter with the security system. I have tried both keys, black and green. the both turn on the ignition, but no power to the starter.
How can I get the security system no not "lock up" the car?

Old 12-26-2020, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thim
Jagboi64 , Sound about right. I will check for it. From what you guys are telling me I think this may be the main problem togheter with the security system. I have tried both keys, black and green. the both turn on the ignition, but no power to the starter.
How can I get the security system no not "lock up" the car?
Inertia switch is on right hand side behind the trim, it's the black piece with the rubber cap. This is a picture of a right hand drive car, LHD will be the same but obviously without the pedals.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:34 AM

I have checked the inertia switch and it seems fine. I tried to put the pluss and ground cables to the battery togheter for 10sek, (without battery ofc) to reset the car. Just red that somewhere, so hoped it might helpe a little, but nothing have changed. I'm confident the car is immobilized since everything else works, all lights come up on the dashboard when the key is turned to slot II and after 5 sek the check engine light goes off. I have red that this means that the car is immobilized? But i can't find anyone that know how to get the car out of this immobilized mode... :/
Any information in that would help greatly

Old 12-27-2020, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

The security module is what is responsible for the crank inhibit until the proper signal is received. The reader is in the steering column to read a chip in the key, which is why I asked if you had the original keys or copies. The signal from the security module to the body processor and ECU is an encoded data signal, not just voltage, so can't be easily replicated.

Attached are the wiring diagrams.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
security.pdf (452.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: pdf
XJR security.pdf (605.8 KB, 40 views)
Don B (12-27-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
The security module is what is responsible for the crank inhibit until the proper signal is received. The reader is in the steering column to read a chip in the key, which is why I asked if you had the original keys or copies. The signal from the security module to the body processor and ECU is an encoded data signal, not just voltage, so can't be easily replicated.

Attached are the wiring diagrams.
Hmm.. I have the orginal keys. But this sound like I have to go to a Jaguar workshop to get resett some computers in the car. I was hoping there might be some other more simple way of resetting the security module or the entire car. I know Range Rover has a system where you can turn the key in the door back and forth to enter a code for the car to resett the anti theft system.
- anyway, I reckon I can't just switch the Security module for a new, since this propably is encoded to the keys, or is it just the reader in the steering column that is coded to the keys?

Old 12-28-2020, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

I think the module is coded to the key, so if you can get a good module with keys, you should be ok. I don't know how to test if the coil reader for the key is good or bad.

The other possible option, is get an ECU from a North American market car. Those didn't have immobilization and don't have chipped keys. Be aware that if you do that, the 1995 cars do not have EGR, the 96 and 97 do, so the ECU's are different.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

i’m pretty sure the NA ECUs get their “ok” signal from the body module, they can for sure start without the security module though.

maybe an NA body module and ECU combo would work in a rest of world car

Last edited by xalty; 12-28-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xalty
i’m pretty sure the NA ECUs get their “ok” signal from the body module
Looking at the diagram again, I think you're correct. Perhaps just a body module might do the trick. Canadian cars have daytime running lights programmed into the body processor, USA cars do not.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
Looking at the diagram again, I think you're correct. Perhaps just a body module might do the trick. Canadian cars have daytime running lights programmed into the body processor, USA cars do not.
interessting. I have a XJ6 (not XJR) which is wrecked (hard crash in the side) same year as the XJR. This will also not start, but maybe if i switch the body module from the XJ6 to the XJR and use the XJ6 key, then the XJR would cranck?

Quick Reply: XJR 1996 will not turn over. Not been started for years.