Yellow Bilsteins for XJ6 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:14 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Yellow Bilsteins for XJ6 Sport

Hi,

This is related a bit to my earlier thread here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...geable-111166/

Basically I want to fit Yellow Bilsteins to my XJ6 Sport. Currently it has the Black Touring Class Bilsteins fitted because I gave up finding yellows at the time. However they much softer than I expected.

I have just been informed by a Jag shop that if I have black Bilsteins fitted I must not have a Sport model in which case I will need to fit shorter springs in order to fit yellow bilsteins. But my car is a Sport!

And yellow Bilsteins are listed for the XJ40...Can they simply be used?

Has anyone actually got Yellow Bilsteins on their XJ6 Sport and if so would you mind telling me the Bilstein part number?

It seems there are a lot of catalogues and experts out there but most are wrong!

Thanks in advance

Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 920 Likes on 518 Posts

Have you considered fitting Jaguar Sport shocks (green)? They are listed on Jaguar Classic Parts and are much cheaper than Bilsteins (in the UK at least).

Damper and Spring Fittings-Rear - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,880 Likes on 7,154 Posts

I wouldn't get too bogged down with colors. I don't think it's that simple. For example, the Jaguar catalog shows XJ6 Sport and XJR shocks as as being green, yellow, or black....depending on the exact application. And, if you're counting on vendor illustrations to match what they are selling, don't! They often use generic pictures....and yellow looks especially sharp and eye grabbing!

The issue gets very confusing for a couple of reasons.

First, in production Jaguar used at least half dozen or so different Bilstein shocks. I suspect that in some instances the differences were very subtle but, in any case, I don't think Bilstein ever offered *all* the possibilities via their normal replacement parts distribution scheme. Near as I can tell they rationalized the offerings to simply 'comfort/standard' and 'XJR/Sport'....and always described as 'heavy duty' (who would ever use the term 'light duty', after all?)

Perhaps Jaguar can still supply all of the original sub-variations but I suspect that those choices have been rationalized/simplfied as well.

Next, a few years ago Bilstein changed is part number system which added further confusion and further rationalization. The old part numbers were actually the technical specifiction of the shock. At one time I found a site that explained how the numbers worked but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

If it might help, I *think* the original, green XJR shocks were:
F4-BE3-6724-MO front (new number 24-067249)
F4-BE5-6725-MO rear (new number 24-185806)

Next time I have my car up in the air I'll try to verify that as I betting the XJR variant is the firmest/sportiest.

As I recall (don't hold me to every detail!) the F4 and BE3 (for example) described the basic design of the shock. The 6724 is intended the car/model. The MO was the exact valving/calibration. Something like that.

A few years ago I really did a lot of research on this but I lost all my notes. Gah!

Ramble switch turned "off"

Cheers
DD

Old 01-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

A bit of an update on what happened here. A lot of places couldn't tell me what colour Bilstein they were actually going to sell me so I gave up. So I got a pair of Koni's, Part 26-1592. They have 3 settings to adjust the rebound.

I've had the whole front end rebuilt, new upper and lower bushings (in rubber), new ball joints, tie rod ends etc, poly roll bar bushings and replaced the Bilstein Touring Class shocks with the Koni's. The Koni's have been set to the middle setting.

I'm very happy with the result. Car tracks well and the shocks are just what I was looking for. Firm but not harsh.

The following 3 users liked this post by marke:
al_roethlisberger (01-03-2015), Doug (01-03-2015), newheart8 (01-09-2015)