XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

+*+*+Project Crusher by Buckhead Imports Performance, XJR with 2.9 Whipple 700HP+*+*+

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi Arland, look at post #82 by Sean B he is an expert on hot rodding these engines, he figured around $50K I tend to agree with him, I have $12,000 in a simple N/A mustang motor that I had built.
My comment of if you have to ask, maybe should have had a smily following it.
I was not implying you could not afford it, but more based on the length of this project, it's complexity and the fact right now it's a 1 off that the cost is not the major item, it's the will to keep funding it when things don't go the way you expect it.
I used to design intakes for a performance company, my engine for the Mustang was built to test a new dual plane intake manifold, I know that the company spend $10's of thousands of dollars trying to build and test it. In the end it was cancelled and deemed too expensive to make and sell.
I feel for BIP I know what it takes, because of my background I made the call, if you have to ask you can't afford it. I'm hoping your feathers are not too rustled...

The following users liked this post:
Arland Green (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default No sweat am unwadded

Thankyou for your explanation- no problems. thanks for taking the time to expand your explanation so I could understand. Forgive me the reaction at the turn of phrase.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts
Default Where's the Thunderkitty?

Well, Thundercat? B.I.P.? What does this hype say for BIP and their ability to complete a project?

Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Really just wanna see some cool pics guys!

Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

think it's back to the drawing board, too big a compressor?

Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

It is not that complex. My brother in law builds dragster motors with nitros s/c and etc. seem him change transmissions between runs and oil pans. Taking a 12yo motor and rebuilding it new ducting/intake/fuel and etc would never take this long. Anyone defending them is friends with them at this point. The customer ran out of money simple as that. They should pay JF a grand to delete this thread

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Well, Thundercat? B.I.P.? What does this hype say for BIP and their ability to complete a project?

Old 04-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

I agree it has taken way to long complete this project. They have tried to reinvent the wheel. The last I had heard was that they were having issues with the piggyback ecu communicating with the can network in the car. The problem is they are building a street car not a race car. You can't compare this to a dragster in any way. He thought he could build a car faster than mine & I think now realizes he should of had me install the Kenne Bell kit from Avos. I do know he is hoping to have the car on the road soon. I see you are in Mass, you are not from Thunderkitten or me. When it is done you should come& see it. I for one really want to see the final result. I also want to see if he can keep up with me.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

well it does take time for custom stuff. I dont agree with the price unless theyre trying to make new crank, cams etc. Pauhter Billet rods for the V6 and Cp pistons (all custom) ran me $2200 in parts plus custom Total Seal gapless rings I dont see the reason for anything or need for more than pistons and rods sure. Both these companies will do the custom pieces if you send the stockers and tell them want you want. I went from stock NA compression of 9.7 to1 down to 8to1.
Divide by 6 then multiply by 8 for the V8 est cost
But with forced induction if you want more power just turn up the boost. That being said my Ken Bell twin screw adaptation from a Corvette V8 to a V6 4litre in my Frontier I did took 9 months this time around and that was waiting for alot of parts, other people, machine work etc and time. I built the engine, engine in n out several times to test fit SC setup etc.. I made a wood box to testfit the SC to the nissan motor and engine compartment and then had it welded up in aluminum. I then sanded the welds down and polished it to match the Ken Bell. 1000cc injectors. instead of the 550's. Mind you I too ran a Eaton MP90 before and was able to use the same drive setup and had a custom pulley made for belt alignment. As soon as I get the true cold air intake box I modded connected to the throttle body(currently drawing hot underhood air) then Ill get the thing tuned. not to detract from the thread, but I agree, its taken alittle too long! Here's a 0-60 video I shot a couple weeks ago. oh did I mention this is a 05 Nissan 4wheel drive 5500# V6 truck

P4070007 - YouTube

Last edited by Brutal; 07-30-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Rlover (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

@Brutal
Great Job! What a beast, I forgot to turn down the volume, so family enjoyed it as well ;-)

Am very tempted to start working on building a 4.8 ltr engine, at this rate I might even get to 700 bhp 1st. Just kidding, I don’t have the funds, so it may never come off the ground.

Bip started pretty pretentious though (in hindsight since they have the car for 2 years now), and the least I would have expected is some status updates, which doesn’t have to be only glorious news!

Electronics isn’t easy when you also want a drivable streetcar, but not rocket science either, and there are several options to get to the desired goals, even in phases, so at least some driving fun can be given (as the word soon has been used many times). But who knows what’s going on as they both are quiet...

Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Has anyone checked their Facebook page? In the past they put everything on FB and not on the forum...

Brutal that's awesome, very impressive!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 AM

thanks Avos and Cambo, I think showing what you can get with the KB twin screw! Jeff and the others that have done your upgrade KNOW what we speak of. I said for along time that if the upgrade is something youve considered financially, DO IT! All the rest is a waste on money when it comes to $/HP. Andre thanks for your help in PM's about the differances on KB. And mine even though a 2.6l, is not the hi output that your kit uses so the gain is much greater. The short block of the Jag is a great foundation strength wise to work with. So a KB upgrade is fantastic. Even though my Jag got totalled and have been looking to get another, I keep thinking about a R. (we have one too cheap) But I know Ide have a AKBR(Avosed Ken Belled R )
speaking of that would make a nice acronym on the cars that have your well done kit "It's a Jaguar AKBR!"

Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Has anyone checked their Facebook page? In the past they put everything on FB and not on the forum...

Brutal that's awesome, very impressive!
I LIKED their page and get updates on many OTHER cars. But nothing really on the Jag. I know from experiance that the bigger the change and teardown. The harder to complete and life can really get in the way. For a shop it meens other quick paying and quick turnover cars will come first. Enough of those and the big projects can sit idle.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 AM

I can compare it in many ways and time frames when we're dealing with a motor, blower and electronics. simple and straightforward. It is electronics, fuel,air and power, place it on the Dyno and figure it out. My FIL has had Precision Automotive for 30years/Dale Hall Granby CT a 7 time national Dragster Champion that ran small block chevys and spent the 70's/80's smacking around HEMI's part time for fun, quit racing once it no longer mattered about building a better mousetrap, but how much money could be spent., he built a one off Small Block Pontiac that made 2,200 HP in the early 90's and ran 5.80's/ , my BIL and are rebuilding it and putting it into his car. BIL is an engineer for Morosso so I going to leave my opinion has some merit.
This project is not advancing because the customer ran out of money period. Nothing takes this longer ever. Like I said prior this makes them look bad and they should "donate" to JF to delete this forum thread.
On brighter news, I am catching a plane to Naples where I will be reunited with my 98XJR for TWO WEEKS!

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I agree it has taken way to long complete this project. They have tried to reinvent the wheel. The last I had heard was that they were having issues with the piggyback ecu communicating with the can network in the car. The problem is they are building a street car not a race car. You can't compare this to a dragster in any way. He thought he could build a car faster than mine & I think now realizes he should of had me install the Kenne Bell kit from Avos. I do know he is hoping to have the car on the road soon. I see you are in Mass, you are not from Thunderkitten or me. When it is done you should come& see it. I for one really want to see the final result. I also want to see if he can keep up with me.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 AM

I like how the power gets to the wheels and the ECU does not limit the power when it loses grip. Thank you for sharing, this was a treat. Have you taken it to the track or have a video of the track runs?

Originally Posted by Brutal
well it does take time for custom stuff. I dont agree with the price unless theyre trying to make new crank, cams etc. Pauhter Billet rods for the V6 and Cp pistons (all custom) ran me $2200 in parts plus custom Total Seal gapless rings I dont see the reason for anything or need for more than pistons and rods sure. Both these companies will do the custom pieces if you send the stockers and tell them want you want. I went from stock NA compression of 9.7 to1 down to 8to1.
Divide by 6 then multiply by 8 for the V8 est cost
But with forced induction if you want more power just turn up the boost. That being said my Ken Bell twin screw adaptation from a Corvette V8 to a V6 4litre in my Frontier I did took 9 months this time around and that was waiting for alot of parts, other people, machine work etc and time. I built the engine, engine in n out several times to test fit SC setup etc.. I made a wood box to testfit the SC to the nissan motor and engine compartment and then had it welded up in aluminum. I then sanded the welds down and polished it to match the Ken Bell. 1000cc injectors. instead of the 550's. Mind you I too ran a Eaton MP90 before and was able to use the same drive setup and had a custom pulley made for belt alignment. As soon as I get the true cold air intake box I modded connected to the throttle body(currently drawing hot underhood air) then Ill get the thing tuned. not to detract from the thread, but I agree, its taken alittle too long! Here's a 0-60 video I shot a couple weeks ago. oh did I mention this is a 05 Nissan 4wheel drive 5500# V6 truck

P4070007 - YouTube

Brutal (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 06:13 PM

No Rlover. not to the track(yet). Ive had the stock ECU tuned yrs ago by Uprev. One of the many things to change was the no full throttle opening till 33 mph. tuned for bigger injectors, the original Eaton from Stillen I put on and basically all around tuned on the dyno and tweeked onroad. still need to tune the current setup and runs really fat as again got p0172, p0175 rich condition going to the country today. Should be ready to tune sometime this week though.
And I know it doesnt seem like the ECU is pulling power but it does, (you can see the slip light a few times on takeoff in the vid) 2 things not in the video.
1) I didnt shift manually and let the truck shift since I had to hold the camera. with the Brian Crower cams and rev kit(behive style springs and titanium retainers) it pulls to 7k but the trans will shift at factory 6200 redline if I dont shift it.
2) If I turn off the ABS module(I wired a switch to kill power to ABS module) it doesnt know the road speed and litterally blazes the tires all through first and half of second. So I know its just being more tolerant with traction off, but still is intervening
its alot of fun and more power from the Ken Bell twin screw vs the Eaton MP90 than I was anticipating even though only 2psi more boost and a full point dropped engine compression. It feels like hitting the switch on a 125hp nitrous setup when the boost hits and there is no rampup like with the Eaton nor does it fall off on the topend, it just keeps pulling. Throttle response is outstanding so after I get it tuned and some more miles Ill head to the track. Just happy to drive it again after 9 months.
I was really hoping for more from this projectand love to see people steping out into the custom realm instead of just bolting on exahust, CAI tunes etc. Would be nice to see more Jaguars being modded, nothing like stellar performance from a car that the general public does not see in that light

Old 05-11-2013, 03:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm a newbie here in terms of post count, however I started reading this thread thinking it would be a sensational read and I'd learn something. What a disappointment. When I saw all the teenage chest puffing and chin jutting and came to the last page here to see the results where the talking stops and the action begins.......aaannd.......It appears that the results speak for themselves!

Old 05-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Kompressed:

"the results speak for themselves"

Well said, my brother!

Old 09-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

any updates?

Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

This project has been abandoned. I believe the car was put back to stock and sold.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:13 AM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Probably ended up in a crusher...