XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

01 XJR Coolant Tank Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 09:53 AM
Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts
Default 01 XJR Coolant Tank Replacement

Already done, it was pretty straightforward, just making a short how-to for someone's future reference when they need it.

My coolant tank near the windscreen had developed a slow leak at the base where the level sensor goes through the housing. Its molded in, so no obviously replaceable gasket there...since its under pressure anyway I figured even if I could disassemble and reseal it, it'd just start leaking again anyway. Not sure how long its been happening but it was probably longer than I think, I bet weeks at least, maybe longer.

Got the replacement part in, just got a URO branded new part from Amazon, it was about $100 with the sensor inside, new cap, etc.

- First you should remove the coolant from the tank. I used a turkey baster and dumped it into an old jug that'll eventually get recycled/disposed of properly. I was honestly surprised at how much coolant was in there.
- Next you need to disconnect the three hard lines on the tank. These are like the part load breather on the left side cam cover...they release the same way and are probably as brittle as potato chips use caution when removing. If you don't have the special tool, you can use a small flathead screwdriver, or like I did, a small set of needle nose pliers which you slip into the openings from above and then slowly rotate and slide off the tank.
- 2 10mm nuts secure the tank. One at the back on top and one at the front on the side.
- From there I popped off the coolant line at the base. I used a regular pair of pliers on the hose clamp and just slid it down past the nipple on the tank, which is surprisingly long, but that makes sense considering its under considerable pressure for extended periods, so you don't want this coming off. I had to use a heat gun to warm the coolant line some and then it just twisted off without any drama.
- Installation was the reverse. I did the main coolant line first, secured the tank to the car (the new tank had a bigger opening on the rear bolt hole and I had to use a washer there that wasn't on the original tank), clipped the hard lines back on carefully (I found it was easier if I reused the pliers trick to release the clip as I pressed them in) and fill the tank with the correct coolant mixture.
- Start the car with the cap off and let it burn off all the coolant you dribbled all over the exhaust and burp it some at it warms up and the thermostat opens to get out the few air bubbles you might have introduced into the system. Cap it and took mine for a test drive, got it fully warmed and then set it back in the garage and rechecked the coolant level.
- Done.

Easy job, but its nice if you're new to these cars or car DIY and you want a set of instructions to follow.

The following users liked this post:
eliotb (01-09-2024)