XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

01 xjr wheel speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 xjr wheel speed sensor

So im up under my jag right now trying to ge the wheel speed sensor off. I have the cable disconected and the bolt out but it seems to be stuck for some reason. D oes anyone have a good idea how to loosen it up? I dont want to be to forceful with it but im trying to see if i cant get DSC/Traction control/ABS fails to get off my dash and this is the next step im taking. I checked the battery already, air peassure is good in the tires, and tis seemed like the next easiest thing to try. I would get codes but T he local places dont have a reader that will pull them. So any ideas on getting this sucker out without breaking it woud be muc appreciated. I am curently at a loss lol.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 1,069 Posts

you can clean the face (mucky ones will disable trac etc) by spraying WD40 onto strips of paper, and running the paper between the sensor face and abs nut on the back of the hub, this is what I've done in the past without trying to force the sensor from it's berth.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got the same issue ASC and TRAC not available. Did what you're doing, pulled the wheels and sensors but they are only that end of the issue. I got some really good information on how to test the complete circuits - which you'll want to do after cleaning the sensors. Unless you can get it to a shop that has the proper scanner for ABS systems (I've heard $50-$250) for the diagnosis. You need to check each independent wheel sensor circuit. The easiest way is to grab your trusty multimeter and pull the connector on the module under the hood. Find your car from the list on this website http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co..._Reference.htm and download the electrical manual. You'll have to scan through it but you'll find the module diagram identifying each of the pins and you'll also be able to find the ABS electrical schematic that will give you the details for each wheel circuit (2 pins for each on the connector) Your circuit should test out in the 1050-1250 ohms resistance (that's what I was told). If one circuit is bad it will generate the warning. You'll be able to pinpoint which if any circuits are bad and concentrate on them (might save you from having to pull the back seat to get to the rear harness connectors). Based on my results and what I've read - the sensors are rarely the culprit- It's either a short in one of the circuits or most likely the widely known issue with the '01's faulty solder on the power connector points. I found a shop in TN that you can send the module to and they will test all the know issues, fix and guarantee for life and ship back to you for less than $60. There are a few DIY posts on here that detail the fix if your up for it- just do a search. As for getting the sensor out, they should just pull straight out, might try some of your favorite lubricant or even some clean warm water - it's probably just dried gunk that's formed around the hole, either and a little time should loosen it up enough to allow you to pull it out.

Last edited by bluerdg; 03-05-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 03-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by salmoncat
So im up under my jag right now trying to ge the wheel speed sensor off. I have the cable disconected and the bolt out but it seems to be stuck for some reason. D oes anyone have a good idea how to loosen it up? I dont want to be to forceful with it but im trying to see if i cant get DSC/Traction control/ABS fails to get off my dash and this is the next step im taking. I checked the battery already, air peassure is good in the tires, and tis seemed like the next easiest thing to try. I would get codes but T he local places dont have a reader that will pull them. So any ideas on getting this sucker out without breaking it woud be muc appreciated. I am curently at a loss lol.
Quick question, is your ABS dash light on in addition to getting the unavailable warning? I'm searching now for answers to a new twist to my situation. After trading a few e-mails with a jag tech, I realized I've got a bulb failure in the gauge cluster at the ABS light. I was told I could simply change the bulb, but after pulling the cluster I found that the bulb is an LED soldered to the PC board. In my case the bulb is gone - just the remnants of the pins (not sure if PO clipped it or where it went). I'm checking now to see if the lack of a bulb and the resulting perpetually open circuit is my culprit. As I understand it, the system check runs a momentary check of associated circuits and systems. If a break or short in one of the wheel sensor circuits will produce the "Unavailable" warning I would think the system advanced enough to generate the same waring if this part of the overall circuit is faulty as well. Apparently, the bulb for the ABS was changed at some point from easily replaceable to the LED, might be worth a shot to check yours if you don't see it during the system test. I'm not finding much on this particular theory in searches, so if you happen to have the same issue, we might be onto a new fix.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, My ABS light is on as well. I did not get around to finish pulling out the sensors last night and its raining today so I havent been able to see if that will work. When I get a chance ill ohm it out and post back here with the results. I hope your theory about the abs light works out, I can imagine there are some people out there pulling their hair out over this fail. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 8,119 Likes on 4,901 Posts

You do realize you can save alot of time and money by getting the DTCs from the ABS module. The light is on because the module has determined that there is a fault. The module will tell you the fault and you can narrow down the circuit to check. You can also replace the Module, all wiring harnesses, all sensors, etc. etc. etc.

It could be as simple as a front wheel sensor link harness or a bad wheel bearing damaged a sensor.

Please read the DTCs and post the codes for info.

bob gauff

Old 03-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Salmoncat, I have exactly same problem on my 2000 xj8, please keep posting.