XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

02 jag xj8 jack stand points

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 10:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi CK.. I already did it...
I did 25 lbs let it rest and finished at 66lbs.

40 then finished at 88.5 lbs on the sprocket bolt.
Thanks for looking out....

Last edited by Mrjay622; 03-31-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,012 Likes on 613 Posts
Old 03-31-2020, 10:55 AM

Are you a mechanic? Or super mechanically inclined?

Old 03-31-2020, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Mechanic initially on vehicles, moved to refinery equipment for much more money (steam turbines, constant displacement pumps, heat exchangers, control valves etc.). Moved to supervisory and then managerial last 25 years. I've forgotten a lot of stuff but am still pretty capable.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:04 PM

impressive...

I feel better now... Glad your not some 16 year geeky kid sitting in front to of a computer. lol

Old 03-31-2020, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrjay622
impressive...

I feel better now... Glad your not some 16 year geeky kid sitting in front to of a computer. lol
Hmmmmm.....how do you know? Perhaps he's (or she's?????) living vicariously through his/her dad?

Old 03-31-2020, 06:25 PM

Hey HH.
While that's true... I like the idea that he's not some goof and isn't steering me wrong...
But again you never know... lol

So far you guys have given me very good advice, I feel comfortable with you guys...

Old 03-31-2020, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Hmmmmm.....how do you know? Perhaps he's (or she's?????) living vicariously through his/her dad?
Hey, keep it down, if my Mom gets wind of this she won't let me use the modem connection in the basement, and I'll be grounded for a month!

The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 09:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cracking thread! Everything I'll need in one place, should I attempt this job myself...I'll stop asking questions about it now and look under "jacking points" first.
Me D'yag-u-urr was made on a Wednesday, methinks, so is also worth saving...but reading this thread has made me realize I better get going on it soon, so carry on...
...will the Lincoln LS valve cover gasket set work? Asking for a friend...who needs to save a bit of fundage...but can't wait to without listening for the death rattle...

Old 03-31-2020, 09:49 PM

Hi there hauseplenty. Welcome

You come to the right place!
Everything you wanted to know about jacking up your timing...
The guys here Know there stuff.
I just wanted to know good safeJack stand points and they talked me into a timing job....lol
I was just looking to get all 4 wheels off the ground to replace wheel studs,brakes pad,rotors,bleed the system and clean and paint some parts. And replace the Cam covers seals.
Now look where I'm at...
All new timing kit,seals,hoses ect.
And I haven't taken one wheel off yet...
None of it had been hard , I think the hardest thing I dealt with was the 3-way connector from the coolant system.
Plus not knowing the quirks of this jaguar engine but the guys here walked me Thu it made it much easier.
Can't Thank them enough. ..
So if you have the time and tools have at it....

And if you have any livestock I'm sure someone here will tell you how to cook it up and what sauce to use......

Highhorse (04-01-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 02:18 PM

Hi guys
Another Question. ..
I'm ready to the timing cover back on , I've double and triple checked the torque on every bolt, I didn't pull the tensioner pins yet, I know about the sealant locations on the timing cover. .Is there anything you can think of I need to check at this point?
I won't forget to remove the rag covering the oil pan.....
Also the primary chains are very tight and that's without the tensioners pushing against the guilds. Normal?
The upper small cam chain have some play on the side of the spring loaded part of the tensioners, the other side is tight no play, again pins are not pulled out yet...
anything anything? ??

thanks.

. Jay

got screwed over by Amazon on the coolant hose, it's in limbo site show delivery for tomorrow but it hasn't shipped yet ...
email had gone unanswered and live chat is now automated...

Old 04-02-2020, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

My primary chains were very tight as well. I had to put the crank gears and CCV on at the same time...in other words I one couldn't get ahead of the other. And yes, I hadn't removed my pins yet either. I think something like 3mm of slack difference between old and new, but I can tell you response with the pedal is quick...

For Amazon, remember they are a front for sellers and if your local warehouse has the part, many times I've gotten things that didn't ship until that morning. I order on Amazon frequently. With all I've ordered over the years, I think only twice did items not arrive on time. Also, remember, they are the main source for many millions now because of virus concerns....lots of home delivery happening, especially with groceries.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:58 PM

Ok thanks Horsehead...

The hose was ordered on the 26th 2 day shipping. This is the 1st time it's happened to me with Amazon I also order Thu them all the time , a few things I ordered on Tuesday just arrived today.... I contacted the seller and they have no record of my order. Oh well its an easy part to get. Just thought I would have it running this weekend.

I got a question for you, how is there in Florida for used jag parts?
I'm look for the plastic Shield or deflector that goes under the front bumper, not sure if thats in 2 parts and covers half the engine, and the lower grille or piece that goes behind the license plate. Also the Vanden plas trunk emblem.
In you free time can you pick those parts up and drop them off to me... Ill have a nice cold Walmart Beer waiting for you...

thanks see you soon...

Old 04-02-2020, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Here's a site for you to peruse... Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market ...remember, these are scrap yards, price is negotiable and if not, say thank you and move on to the next yard.
That shield is the lower valence. It shovels the air and road debris down under the body and prevents items from jettisoning up into the vital areas.
In that link you can do searches via zip code, so you can do your own FL searches rather easily.
Also check with Col Sandurz on his freshly wrecked beauty he had... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...hat-do-230663/
...and the Marketplace... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/market/

Old 04-02-2020, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Hi guys Another Question. ..I'm ready to the timing cover back on , I've double and triple checked the torque on every bolt, I didn't pull the tensioner pins yet, I know about the sealant locations on the timing cover. .Is there anything you can think of I need to check at this point?
I won't forget to remove the rag covering the oil pan.....
Also the primary chains are very tight and that's without the tensioners pushing against the guilds. Normal?
The upper small cam chain have some play on the side of the spring loaded part of the tensioners, the other side is tight no play, again pins are not pulled out yet...
anything anything? ??thanks. Jay
As per HH, yes those chains are very tight when newly replaced, you are doing a fine job and everything is looking fine. Not to worry about any apparent minor slack in secondary chains, when pins are removed, and oil pressure is applied when the engine is started everything will be fine. As long as you have the timing right, torques as-per-manual and followed the procedure you will be fine........and from the pictures and following this thread you are doing a great job!

Highhorse (04-04-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

I'm look for the plastic Shield or deflector that goes under the front bumper, not sure if thats in 2 parts and covers half the engine, and the lower grille or piece that goes behind the license plate.

That valance is a one-piece item and can be purchased online at various sources for less than $100. I replaced mine fairly recently after I had mine snag up on a local grocery store parking buffer.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:23 PM

Hello guys..
I was looking back at a question I asked of HH.
(I got a question for you, how is there in Florida for used jag parts?)
To me it seems like I was asking you to look up or look for those parts for me...
I meant nothing of the sort just wanted to know if you knew if it's any better there getting used parts.
Everything after , How is it there for getting used parts for jaguar. . Was me being goofy. . Around here jaguar parts from salvage yards are near impossible.
That's all I have to say about..
My apologies if it came across any other way..

back to playing with my project.
I'll update when I have something to update.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

No issues amigo, I pass out that link a lot, its just one of many that have multi links to yards around the country.
As for FL parts being better or more available....I would safely say the southeast as a whole would be the answer. Lots of yards all over, as a matter of fact, a very reasonably priced yard is in Blacksburg, SC...Carguts. I've picked up a few items from them and shipping has been more than reasonable.

I see more S-type in the yards than X308...and when a 308 is brought in, the vultures come. There was a 97 brought in a bit over a year ago, I was the first one to get into it to snag this little part I needed. I went back just over a year later and only the frame, shell and a couple doors were left.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:00 PM

Ok thanks HH
Just wanted to clear that up..
I figured in Florida there is alot more retirees, no salt better chance of getting good parts.

My PITA project is gonna cripple me!
Just got the intake manifold back on.
Timing cover is done now I need to get a new 1/2 torque wrench mine is dead I loaned it out and got back a piece of junk, the batteries were left inside and they leaked.
Wasn't sure on the torque specs for the intake so I did what felt good 12 Nm.
Getting there s l o w l y...

Stay safe and healthy.

Next big news is gonna be about Zombies!

Last edited by Mrjay622; 04-05-2020 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
the vultures come.
there’s two kinds of people in this world

the ones who took the VDP picnic tables and those who didn’t get there in time

Quick Reply: 02 jag xj8 jack stand points