XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

02 Vanden Plan Ride Vibration above 50mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,876 Likes on 7,153 Posts

If the vibration is fairly gross then it might be a real time saver if you can rent, borrow, beg, or steal one of these:

J-38792-A Kent Moore EVA tool rental, electronic vibration analyzer, EVA, EVA2, Rotunda, SPX, OTC, Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda

I've been battling a vibration problem for some time and the "EVA" was very useful....to a point. It vastly narrowed down the possbilities and I was able to mostly fix the problem.

However, if the vibration is high frequency/low amplitude the EVA cannot (in my experience) give useful results. So, for example, if the vibration is no more then a "tingle" sensation thru the seat or steering wheel (such as my car) the tool probably won't be of any help.

It might be worth taking the car to a shop or dealer who has "EVA" and paying them for a couple hours labor to test the car using EVA and see what results come up.

I am lucky enough to be a good terms with a local Chevy dealer. I can borrow the equipment over the weekends.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by popeye68
So you could feel the vibration on stands , with the axles still mounted ?

Did you put the stands under the jack points or the wishbone ?

To rule out a bad axle , switch axles one more time (as you have one new now) , sometimes the vibration appears to be on the other side as it actually is.
The car was up in the air on a hydraulic lift.

We pulled out the axial and was able to return it. The old one is back in... Prior to this we replaced the back right axial, no change..this time we switched axial's and there was a vibration change from the back right to back left... The back right tire was no longer bouncing up and down. Now the back left was moving up and down but less than what the back right was. Thought that we had a bad replacement axial and replaced it again.

Does anyone know if you can balance those small axials? The shops that I have called around ATL can't do it.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Safi
when im cruising up to highway speeds, the vibration occurs between 50-60 mph, then when i manually shift the car into 4th gear, the vibration at those speeds no longer continues, any thoughts? and maybe this will help your problem as well
I tried this when the problem started and it did not change the vibration for me.. What was interesting was that after I replaced my entire driveshaft the vibration changed, it became much more noticeable. The center support was shot, so I guess things are a little tighter... So frustrating... I don't want to start throwing parts at this thing.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Try examining the mounting flanges and shim on the suspect halfshaft. Halfshaft is the American term for the part, whereas in the UK the name is driveshaft, and the American driveshaft is a propellor shaft.

Also inspect the universal joints on the halfshaft.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 x308 vibration/rumble above 50mph

I am having the exact same problems with my car. I have gone through all the remedys that Casey did I even changed the rear end as an assembly from my doner car then the differential. New wheel bearings, half shaft u joints,new driveline with balance ,u joint and carrier. The car maves a low rumble mixed with vibration above 50 mph clear to 100 mph. I can then shift into neutral , let the engine idle with no change to the rumble vibration. coasting down it goes away at 50 mph every time. I even did new motor mounts last week to no avail. Im suspecting the Transmission at this point. Does anyone have experience or a solution with this enormous frustration?

Old 03-14-2023, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 412 Likes on 343 Posts

I reread the thread and recognized you had already done what my post was suggesting so I am
revising it. If the vibration is occurring in 3rd gear but not in fourth, (at the sounding speed) that
means that everything aft of the tranny is not causing the issue and points to the tranny as the
vibration originator.

Last edited by RandyS; 03-15-2023 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:48 PM
Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a low frequency hum in my low mileage ‘03 VDP at the 50-60 speeds. It disappears if I come off the throttle or drop into 4th. It’s been suggested to me here it is a torque converter issue. The noise may be there above and below those speeds but my hearing aids aren’t picking it up. No discernible vibration.

Sometime in the next few months I’m taking it to a driveline shop for their opinion. I know of one other VDP driver who has reported a similar hum and chalked it up to a harmonic vibration. If I get a diagnosis that is more than “well, it could be the xxxxx” I will follow up here. One shop suggested I drive it until there’s a problem and then bring it in. No thanks.

Old 03-16-2023, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 412 Likes on 343 Posts

Yeah...I have always had a problem with the "drive it till
it breaks" merthod.