XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

03 xj8 oil pan and drain plug leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 03 xj8 oil pan and drain plug leak

My 03 xj8 is leaking oil from the drain plug and around the pan. I think it just needs a new gasket and plug. My concern is that the gasket may be burned on there and possibly have to be machined down. I have no proof that it is burned on there. Any advice on what to look for? How do I tell if the gasket is burned on to metal?I have no problem installing the parts myself but would be out of luck if something bigger was happening. If it was burned on there a bit would sandpaper and a hard block work?? And what amount of torque do the bolts need? Thanks

Old 10-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not unless you have a dripping (wipe it clean and new drip appears) don't sweat it.

Minor oil leaks might make a mess on the garage floor but wont leak enough to lose enough oil to cause a problem.

Next time you change oil, purchase a new gasket or plug and gasket from local parts store or go to E-Bay to get a new one. Check surface on pan at plug. If needed carefully clean with fine grade sandpaper.

Main thing with plug is "DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN" as that will damage the gasket.
Tighten to a good snug fit.
Good Luck.

The following users liked this post:
chernobee (10-01-2011)
Old 10-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi chernobee
I created a new thread for 2003 XJ8 Transmission Fluid Drain/Fill and Fluid Pan/Filter:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ter-r-i-61563/

Hope it helps

Jim lombardi

chernobee (10-01-2011)
Old 10-01-2011, 10:57 PM

Thank you i downloaded them. Big help! My wife had a good question. why Jaguar fluid? is there an alternative? and would the amount of torque needed on the transmission pan gasket work on the oil pan gasket? thanks in advance

Old 10-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The drain plug for the engine oil has a gasket built into the plug -- it is intended to be changed at each engine oil service. You may have a damaged or missing gasket on yours if it has been reused. I have never had one leak.

You need to do your homework on the transmission fluid change -- it is imperative that the correct fluid and procedure is used. These boxes require very accurate fluid levels. You will find a lot of information regarding the ZF box in the XJ and the MB box in the XJR that is incorrect -- do it correctly or pay someone to do it correctly.

Its better left alone then serviced incorrectly.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
In answer to your question about transmission fluid (ATF) brand for your XJ8, there are several other transmission fluid options.

I bought VW AFT (VW part# is G-052-162-A2 $19 per 1 liter bottle at our local VW dealership Parts dept) to top off after having our XJ8 transmission rebuilt at authorized ZF repair shop (they used ZF LifeGuard 5 - this is the transmission manufacturer ATF fluid).

Jaguar & Mercedes Benz branded label is $60 for the same fluid.

Many of the forum members with XJ8 are using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF ($8.99 per quart at Advance Auto Parts).

I tried searching for places to buy Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in CA. I found a few articles that say it is banned in CA. Here is a statement from ESSO/Mobil in club lexus forum:
From ExxonMobil:

"Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF has not been recalled. It is, however, temporarily
unavailable for sale in the state of California. We can assure you that
there are no performance or safety concerns with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.
ExxonMobil stands behind this product. Thank you for your interest and
loyalty."
Also in that post: There was a chemical in the ATF that is not legal for sale in CA.

The ZF branded label (Lifeguardfluid5) ATF is about $20 per 1 liter bottle.
Transmission Fluid ZF LifeGuard 5 - Case of 6 x 1L Container has a case of 6 (1 liter bottles) $106 including shipping to San Jose CA.

Here is the weblink to the Transmission Fluid thread for your XJ8:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ping-up-29776/

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-02-2011 at 12:44 PM.
chernobee (10-02-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The proper ZF fluid is available for around $20.00 -- sometimes a little less. All of these fluids are Dextron derivatives -- with modifiers added. So the base specifications can match and the fluid can still be quite different. In some cases the fluid will change the shift characteristics -- other brands have more solvents and this can be a problem in older boxes.

I have no idea if the VW fluid is the same -- They are now using many Asian built boxes -- yet again another different fluid. The ZF box uses a specific fluid -- that is why they require it when rebuilt.

The MB fluid for the XJR's has been available for under $20.00 from any MB dealer -- unfortunately they recently changed the formula and some are reporting changed shifting characteristics even though it is backward compatible per MB.

ZF requires different fluids in basically the same box depending on its application and build ...... but the aftermarket lists only one fluid ?

People will do what they want .... but for me this is not a place to try to save $50 or $70 bucks and have any issues 10k down the road with an expensive component.

chernobee (10-02-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 05:27 PM

nice thank you. ya the transmission fluid needs a little topping off and i figured may as well do the filter and all that too. everything seems pretty straight forward after reading the manuals that Jim Lombardi posted. Id never put a knock off fluid in there but sure cant see paying that much money for a picture of a cat on the bottle if thats all it was! so good quality ZF fluiud it is and thank you!

Old 06-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2003 xj8, non SC. It has an oil leak from the rear of the oil pan. I replaced the gasket, followed Jags instructions, still leaked. I then replaced the bolts, same thing. I then put a bead of gasket sealant on the pan, still leaks. More sealant, still leaks. New oil pan, bolts and gasket, still leaking.

I haven't tried just sealant, without gasket.

Any ideas??? I'm lost.
Thx

Old 06-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check above the oil pan passenger side. Mine was coming from the oil sensor plug ( forgot the actual name) right above the pan. If that breaks, it will leak oil and run down the pan to make it look as if the pan and drain bolt is leaking.