XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

03 XJR Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:13 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 03 XJR Tires

I'll be in need of summer tires once the weather breaks here in PA. I was thinking about these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....es&tab=Reviews

I'm somewhat limited by my tire guy's brands Dunlop, Conti, GoodYear, Kumho and a few off brands. Won't go anywhere else as he's been very good to me (sponsored and stored my race car for 4 years!). I've always been very happy with Kumhos across the board. Currently have ASXs on the X Type and XSs on my TiV and used them nearly exclusively on the racer until I started using used race slicks.

I'm very much of a spirited driver who likes the twisties. The 280 treadwear is just fine with me as that would give me about 3-4 years with them with my current driving needs. I think the TiV has 180 treadwear tires but they always make me giggle like a school boy.

Question is, does the tread pattern look acceptable to keep the "tracking" to a minimum. Any other thoughts or recommendations. Don't really want to have the wife see a bill for over a grand for tires so be gentle.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

That looks like a rather "plane jane" tread design -- Can't imagine it being a problem.

I have been running Eagle F1 GSD3's on a couple of my cars for the last few years and I love them - especially in the rain. And it has a crazy tread design -- although I have noticed it is being copied recently.

The following users liked this post:
benebob (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 03:01 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I live on a back road with a lot of imperfections. The Michelins on my 03 XJR tramlined a great deal. When I had to replace all four last spring, I went to a 235/45 R 18 and got Continental Extreme Contact DWS (from Tirerack) I am extremely satisfied. I'm not sure if the size or the tires themselves made the difference, but the tramlining is almost totally eliminated. That being said, when I did my review and made my choice, the Kumho Ecsta were my second choice.

The following users liked this post:
benebob (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 AM
ud

Originally Posted by Fairlane500
I live on a back road with a lot of imperfections. The Michelins on my 03 XJR tramlined a great deal. When I had to replace all four last spring, I went to a 235/45 R 18 and got Continental Extreme Contact DWS (from Tirerack) I am extremely satisfied. I'm not sure if the size or the tires themselves made the difference, but the tramlining is almost totally eliminated. That being said, when I did my review and made my choice, the Kumho Ecsta were my second choice.
I have Mich. Alpines as winter tires. They are the absolute worst tire I've ever used even before you factor in the $250 price tag. Loud, horrible braking, tramlining like you wouldn't believe on the rough stuff. Everybody seems to like Conties but I had those on my X type when I got it and quickly swapped them out for the ASXs that I had on the car I was replacing. They transformed the car. Granted they had about a 1/3 more tread but they're also an all season tire. Only neg. is they are a bit louder but it isn't so bad.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The Jaguars are particularly bad with tramlining - and in my experience the width of the tire has the greatest effect -- then age (miles on the tire). Also, add in a little tire pressure - too much ...not good. Obviously as the car ages any suspension slop works against you.

I will say that Michelins are hard tires -- IMO they are lousy in the rain. I have never used them on any of my Jaguars. They are normally quiet - at least the MXV4 -- in the many variations that they are made.

The P-zero tires have softer side walls and are reinforced -- so they do work wonderfully on our cars - especially if your rotate after every drive I have never had great tire life on any XJ Jaguar - it's the almost $400.00 per tire cost that has had me try other makes. Buying a tire based on long life will get you into trouble with the XJ -- first you will not get it and second they will be too hard. That being said -- most feel great when you first put them on.

I have also used Firestone Firehawks -- basically a Bridgestone tire -- also great in the rain .......... see a pattern here

I use Bridgestone winters on my R -- but I have been buying Dunlop winters for my two other cars with winter tires since trying them two years ago.

Last edited by yeldogt; 02-01-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Fix Spelling
Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Tramlining is the bane of one's existence with the X300/XJR. I thought front suspension changes on the X308 took care of the problem. I guess not?

Cheers
DD

Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM
ud

Originally Posted by Fairlane500
Went in to see how his availablity was today to get 'em. He mentioned that the conti Extream DW would be a strong second choice for me but said not the S since I do run winter tires so the all season cap. isn't as needed in my case and he knows how I like to drive. He did say the Kuhmos should be a fair bit cheaper esp. with the $100 rebate, Conti is running a free flip video with purchase of 4 but I don't really need a video. Thanks for everyone's help, hopefully I'll have a report on the tires after a few hundred miles of wear in.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my XJ Sport (has the same 18 in wheels as the 97-00 XJR) with Michelin Pilot Sports and replaced them with the same tire except in all season form.

Check out my thread about them in the tire section. Hope it helps!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=46673

Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
That looks like a rather "plane jane" tread design -- Can't imagine it being a problem.

I have been running Eagle F1 GSD3's on a couple of my cars for the last few years and I love them - especially in the rain. And it has a crazy tread design -- although I have noticed it is being copied recently.
+1 I run the same tire! SWEEEET looking tread design. Very sticky on wet/dry road.