XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1 click...No start

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016 | 08:16 AM
|
Cool 1 click...No start

I've got an 02 XJR that when I turn the key I get 1 click and nothing. The click seems to come from the right hand part of the engine close to the windshield. The battery is brand new and I had a problem that it wouldn't start and I would rock the car or move it from Park to neutral and it would start now it won't do anything! Help I'd like to save this cat from the Boneyard but I have to have my rear main seal replaced O2 sensor on the upper left Bank and transmission rebuilt all came on at once

Old 11-28-2016 | 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

It may just be the various positive bulkhead and starter connections and engine to chassis ground need to be cleaned. There are many other possibilities but that's a good starting point.

The following users liked this post:
Porsche407 (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016 | 09:11 AM
GGG

If you're convinced the battery is good and fully charged, check the connections in the High Power Protection Module (item 5):

1 click...No start-high-power-module.jpg

If the connections are loose or the cables starting to break up at the lugs, it causes this issue.

If these are OK, next check the main cable connection at the Starter Motor.

Graham

Porsche407 (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016 | 09:17 AM

Sounds like the car is not convinced that the transmission is actually in park or neutral.

Old 11-28-2016 | 10:01 AM
|

I actually had the jgate apart and pressed on the adjuster, as well as rolling it and then shifting to park. ?

Old 11-28-2016 | 10:02 AM
|

Going to check this now!

Old 11-28-2016 | 11:04 AM

Had same issue on my 2001 XJR. Look at cable on passenger side, under hood, close to windshield. The connector was damaged on mine as was the boot. I tightened it up, covered things with liquid electrical tape and the remaining boot. All good ever since.

Old 11-29-2016 | 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Had similar problem on my 98xj8. I would check the false bulkhead. It is at the right side of engine compartment near the windshield. It's at the box that has the modules in it. Mine was shorting out and the plastic was melted. If it is not it do as RJ mentioned. Check and clean all connections.

Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2016 | 05:43 AM
Veteran Member

Taking another angle to add to the check list. There's a starter relay on the RH side of your engine bay. I'll get you an accurate location later on today when I get to work. There's several relays next to each other.

Also, if you have leaky valve cover gaskets on the RH side, there's a chance that oil has gotten inside your starter. Just something else to consider.

Porsche407 (12-13-2016)
Old 11-30-2016 | 06:55 PM

I had my car 'click' with no effect just yesterday, but in my case when it 'clicked' all lights on instrument cluster went 'off' like there is not battery. Turned out to be bad 'earth' connection from the battery.

If your lights stay bright 'on' - so many possibilities: starter relay is bad, or starter solenoid is bad, or wire in between, or ground connection from the starter solenoid is bad, or starter itself is bad, or starter connections are bad, ...

How loud is the click? Is it 'relay' click, or 'starter solenoid' clonk?

If it is starter relay clicking(locate the relay and feel or hear the click) - you know that electrics up to relay are working, so trace from relay to starter.

If 'starter solenoid' is clicking(louder metallic click from below ) - problem somewhere between solenoid and starter. Could be many things... I would fist figure what is clicking...

Old 12-13-2016 | 03:27 PM
|

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Taking another angle to add to the check list. There's a starter relay on the RH side of your engine bay. I'll get you an accurate location later on today when I get to work. There's several relays next to each other.

Also, if you have leaky valve cover gaskets on the RH side, there's a chance that oil has gotten inside your starter. Just something else to consider.
The gremlin went away but came back... Cleaned all the connections, still nothing... Which is the starter relay?
Thanks

Old 12-13-2016 | 03:30 PM
|

Originally Posted by NJ2003XJ8
I had my car 'click' with no effect just yesterday, but in my case when it 'clicked' all lights on instrument cluster went 'off' like there is not battery. Turned out to be bad 'earth' connection from the battery.

If your lights stay bright 'on' - so many possibilities: starter relay is bad, or starter solenoid is bad, or wire in between, or ground connection from the starter solenoid is bad, or starter itself is bad, or starter connections are bad, ...

How loud is the click? Is it 'relay' click, or 'starter solenoid' clonk?

If it is starter relay clicking(locate the relay and feel or hear the click) - you know that electrics up to relay are working, so trace from relay to starter.

If 'starter solenoid' is clicking(louder metallic click from below ) - problem somewhere between solenoid and starter. Could be many things... I would fist figure what is clicking...
It sounds like its in the middle near the windshield?

Old 12-15-2016 | 11:36 AM
|

Thanks for all the help... It's the starter!