XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

117-Low coolant code

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 117-Low coolant code

Hi guys-
I've been repairing various problems on my 1998 XJ8L.
I just replaced the passenger side knock sensor so that code is now gone.
However, I am now getting a 117 Low coolant level code.
I'm also getting the 'restricted performance' words on the dash.

I opened the coolant filler tank and it's full to the top.
Does anyone have any info or direction I need to go on this?
-Thank you in advance-
-C

Old 05-19-2018, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,320 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Inside the coolant tank on the forward inboard corner is the coolant level sensor. The floats are known to stick. You can reach in and gently move the float up and down to get it moving. Also beneath the tank is the connector for the sensor. You can unplug and clean the connection. The sensor can be removed by rotating a 1.4 turn and it will come out without draining the tank.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:24 AM

Vern-
I followed your advice and took out the coolant sensor. It was easier to just dis connect the hod tank and pull it out.
There appears to be the 'float' that stays in the tank. My I correct on this?
It is moving freely. When I shake the tank, I can here it rattling by an forth or up and down as it were. So, I think the float is good.
The sensor looks like a 2" long white post that I think is plastic.
Is there some way to test the sensor itself?
-Thanks-
-Cash

Old 05-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 298 Posts

I believe the early ones were known to water log -- I don;t believe they are very $$

RP can be any number of items ... start with the battery

Old 05-26-2018, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

You are correct the float doesn't come out of the tank. You might try to fill the tank and see if the float will actually float. The float I think is magnetic and when the float is in the upper position the sensor continuity should read an open circuit and when it is at the low level the magnetic should close the switch and it should read continuity.
With the sensor out of the tank fitting I believe it should read as an open circuit. I think the sensor is just a reed switch that reads open when full and the switch closes when level is low.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 888 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcash
Is there some way to test the sensor itself?
Yes. Connect an ohm meter to the sensor - it should read no continuity (or no sound from the ohm meter, if you have/use that function). Put the expansion tank upside down and make sure the float has gone down (meaning up in the normal position of the tank). Then insert the sensor into the hole (no need to clip it on) - it should read continuity while in the hole and switch off when you pull it out again.

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 11:12 AM

Well... I found the problem.
The coolant temp electrical connector at the front of the engine had come loose. The locking tab has broken off. i'll need to see if I can get a replacements connector.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:34 PM

Does anyone know where I can find the prat number for the male electrical connector that connects to the coolant temp sensor?
-Cash

Old 05-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 614 Posts

Does anyone know where I can find the prat number for the male electrical connector that connects to the coolant temp sensor?
-Cash
Does this help Bigcash? If not on this page, maybe you can use the link to search for the part you are looking for.

https://www.jaguarmerriamparts.com/p...iagram=4721045

Old 05-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Bigcash, You can try the Jaguar dealer for the possibility of a pigtail. They are far and few available. You will most likely have to head to a wrecking yard and pull one. You can use either one off and XJ or and XK they are the same for that year.

M.stanovic, you have it backwards. Below is an excerpt from the electrical diagram. The switch is a normal open at the full level and normally closed at the low level to create a ground and illuminate the low level warning. Upside down the float is at the top and should read open circuit. Right side up with the float at the bottom the switch should read closed. Complete circuit.

The key to all Jaguar switches is they operate to always complete a ground.

Attached Thumbnails 117-Low coolant code-coolant-switch.png  
Old 05-26-2018, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

There were two types of CTS, early and late (pics), having slightly different connectors. If your CTS has M12 thread, get this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-90...AAOSw4DJYjzd5; if your CTS has a larger tapered thread, get this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-90...wAAOSwopRYmNlP

Attached Thumbnails 117-Low coolant code-coolant-temp-sensor-early.jpg   117-Low coolant code-coolant-temp-sensor-late.jpg  
Old 05-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avern1
M.stanovic, you have it backwards. Below is an excerpt from the electrical diagram. The switch is a normal open at the full level and normally closed at the low level to create a ground and illuminate the low level warning. Upside down the float is at the top and should read open circuit. Right side up with the float at the bottom the switch should read closed. Complete circuit.
It would be logical to assume that the level sensor switch is open at the full level (the warning light is off) and that it switches "on" at the low level (the warning light comes on). However, the sensor switch does not operate the warning light directly but via some electronics which invert the switch function - the light is off when the switch is "on", light on when the switch is "off".

The magnetic switch inside the sensor probe is near the top of the probe. The magnet in the float, when near it, will switch it "on". So, with the high coolant level, the float magnet is kept near the magnetic switch and will keep it "on"; when the float drops, it goes away from the magnetic switch and it will switch "off".