XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

As of 12:30 today I am the proud owner of a 13K mile rare XJR

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 08:15 PM
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Roxy
Love it so much! I'm Raeann from the BAT auction. @Raeannwhich forum are you on. I’ll post pics of mine when new. They were only built days apart. They didn’t offer this color on the XJR, these two were built for the 2003 international auto show. They cost more than an XJR100.

I'm glad you won it and will restore it to the original condition. I don't care for any of the "updates" they made like the mesh grill and shift knob. Honestly, I think jaguar got it exactly right with the original design. I miss my 03 XJR! It was zircon/oatmeal. Thanks for sharing the back story. When I saw your new XJR come up on BAT I thought to myself, "hmm, I've never seen that color before" so good to know there are only two out there. The most beautiful color. Would have loved to have your red one too. Jaguar does such beautiful colors. Right now I have an 02 xj8 in silver/black which does not thrill me (too common,) but it is a sound running car that I can bomb around town in until I find my new love.
I’ve already had a can of single stage acrylic enamel spray paint made up and ordered the lower grille bar separator, an OEM wood shift knob, the engine compartment tool kit, the trunk mesh charger, the factory trunk hammock, the factory phone set up, a factory battery tender, a factory Jaguar battery and the elastomeric water based dye to correct the drivers seat back bolster and a factory air filter. I was on it before I bought the car. If you notice on the Carfax, the car was built in 11-01 serviced through 2002 but not sold until 11-02. This was exactly how mine was done except mine was built in 1/02 and sold in 11/02. Mine was branded as an 03.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Lovely thing, and I like your long game! From what I can see, it just needs a good detail to get it looking the 13K car it is - under the hood is where I'd spend some enjoyable time. It's instantly noticeable once you've minted half the engine bay!

I'm not sure the wheels have been refurbished? The option I would think Jaguar specified was the Oyster painted centres to add to that stunning colour.

I see TRAC is working!

No, the wheels are original. I suspect I’ll need to buff the paint and possibly correct one small curb mishap on one of the wheels. I have located the original tires as they actually still being produced. I think I’ll buy them and put them away, until I actually need tires. I like to keep everything as original as possible. The engine bay will be tidied up and the K&N decal will be disposed of. Thanks for the kind words!!!
oh and mine were never refinished either, they actually had a gold cast to them, the light in my pic looks like they are silver but they aren’t.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by mayhem
Looks fantastic, love the color. I'm glad you swapped out the shift knob to the correct one. Just curious, was the lettering on the spark plug cover on the BaT page off or was it a bad photo? It looks like you've corrected that as well?
Actually, the pictures in the post are of its companion, the other build I bought back in late 2002, after it toured the country for the auto show. The car you’re seeing was in late 2007, with 77k miles, when I was selling it.

Last edited by collector; 01-17-2023 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 364 Posts

The only trouble with "show" cars is that you really can't enjoy the driving of the car.
While I truly admire the pomp and elegance of a "Concours" automobile, in my mind
that is not the way to actually enjoy the driving experience these cars produce.

I do not intend to take anything away from your acquisition, and I am truly glad that
you are happy with the purchase. It is very nice to look at.

Old 01-19-2023, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by RandyS
The only trouble with "show" cars is that you really can't enjoy the driving of the car.
While I truly admire the pomp and elegance of a "Concours" automobile, in my mind
that is not the way to actually enjoy the driving experience these cars produce.

I do not intend to take anything away from your acquisition, and I am truly glad that
you are happy with the purchase. It is very nice to look at.
Who said I’m not going to drive it and enjoy it?
As my father used to say, back handed compliments are given as intended.
The wonderful thing about buying a 21 year old new car is, it’s still new!!!!!! Since I really didn’t pay that much for the car, I’ll be able to drive it whenever the weather permits.

Last edited by collector; 01-19-2023 at 12:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by collector:
Don B (01-19-2023), Z07Brandon (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Well then sir....let me express my congratulations to you on your purchase!
Many times, I have seen a buyer purchase such a car, then sit on it in fear of
getting door dings or some mud on the wheel wells. If you are actually going
to use the car, then my hat is certainly off to you!

The following users liked this post:
collector (01-20-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 11:03 AM
Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

$33k ain't nothing, but if you are really passionate about the car, it shouldn't get destroyed in value with another 20k miles on it

Old 01-20-2023, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
$33k ain't nothing, but if you are really passionate about the car, it shouldn't get destroyed in value with another 20k miles on it
Thanks you!!! I honestly don’t drive any of my cars that much. Since everything is basically online, I have things sent in. I’ve never been one to just take a car out, just to drive it for no good reason. Back when I was working, I drove 3 miles to work 4 days a week. I would buy a new car every year and instead of trading, I’d sell them for just about what I paid for them. I don’t think I ever put more than 4k miles on a car, in that year. I have 3 new cars and now paired my classic cars down to 5. So, honestly, I’m not saving them, I just have no where to go. So, I won’t put many miles on it but I won’t be afraid to drive it either. I don’t drive my cars on the freeway or in bad weather, I do like to keep them as perfect as possible, I think they call it, an **** retentive personality, I call it my Virgo personality defect.

Old 01-20-2023, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

If you are like many forum members, you have several cars which you use for different
things. That is good in a way as it leaves none of them in a state of disuse which I have
found to be a very bad thing. Keeping the lube flowing is the main thing!

The following users liked this post:
collector (01-20-2023)