XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1642, 0332 and 0327 codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1642, 0332 and 0327 codes

Hi everyone.

I recently replaced the plastic thermostat tower with the aluminum version. After completing the tower replacement, I washed the spilled coolant from the engine/thermostat tower area. As you likely all know, the Knock Sensor connectors clip onto the side of the tower. I'm quite sure I must have gotten some water into the connector for the Knock Sensor on the left bank because the next morning I got a Restricted Performance (RP) indication and the Check Engine Light (CEL). I drove about 20 km's to work and parked for 12 hours. The RP and CEL cleared on its own and reappeared a few times over the next week or so. Each time it reappeared, it was after a rainstorm or a foggy, cold night.

I purchased a U480 code reader from www.repairmanuals.co so I could read the codes. I got 0327 and 0332. I cleared the codes and the CEL. I was left with a P1000 code because I cleared the ECM data when I erased the fault codes.

So, after sitting in my driveway for 5 days and being subjected to a 5 day driving rainstorm that has caused record breaking floods in parts of Canada, the 0332 and 0327 reappeared as soon as I started the car. I stopped the car, plugged in the code reader, cleared the codes and then drove off with the reader still attached.

Suddenly, the car went into Failsafe mode, and I got Gearbox Failure, Traction Control Failure and Stability Control Failure warnings along with code 1642. I stopped the car, cleared the codes and restarted. This cycle repeated 6 times within 15 minutes. I finally stopped the car and removed the code reader (why did I wait so long?). The CEL disappeared but I continued to get the RP indication. When I got home, I stopped the car and restarted. The RP indication had cleared.

So, the U480 is not compatible with the CANBUS while driving. It appears that it generates the 1642 error code itself.

It is still pouring rain tonight so, in the morning, I am going to measure the Knock Sensor resistance and clean the KS connector contacts. I will also spray the connectors with a silicone spray.

Hopefully I can put these 0332 and 0327 error codes to rest.

I'll update this post as it develops.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

If your battery has not been on a maintainer charge it before you start the engine. Low starting voltage may be causing the codes.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I took the connectors apart and measured the resistance on each of the Knock Sensors yesterday. Left side - 186K ohms. Right side - 200K ohms.

I sprayed the connectors with silicone spray and reassembled the connectors. It has been fault free for 46 kms of driving. No codes, no Check Engine Light.

So, I learned a valuable lesson - never drive with the U480 code reader attached to the OBD II connector. It is not compatible with live data collection. Also, be very careful when rinsing down the engine. Be sure to avoid getting any connectors wet. Finally, it might be a good idea to spray a water displacing compound such as silicone on any connector that might suffer from high humidity or moisture.

The left Knock Sensor resistance is slightly low. I don't know what the acceptable lower limit is, but in most electronic circuits, resistance tolerances of plus or minus 10% (in this case, plus or minus 20K ohms) is acceptable. I am not sure when it comes to this particular item. The ECM has not indicated that 186K ohms is unacceptable. There is no longer any 0332 or 0327 code and the car is no longer in Restricted Performance mode. Perhaps 186K ohms is perfectly acceptable.

On the other hand, perhaps not. I shall be buying 2 new Knock Sensors and replacing them both. Might as well do both at the same time.

Anyway, I wanted to alert everyone to the problem with the U480 code reader. I know that some of you use your code readers to gather live data. I just wanted to give you the heads-up that the U480 will throw the 1642 error code and cause you some serious concern. For $40 US, it is a good little code reader. It does have its limitations though, obviously.

Oh yeah...this morning, while driving home from work, some idiot was tailing me very closely and flashing his lights to either make me go faster, or get out of his way. I was doing 75 in a 70km zone. Fast enough, I thought. As soon as the speed limit changed to 100 km/hr, coincidentally the same point where it went from single lane to double lane, he pulled out and gave me the finger as he started to pass me. What on earth was the idiot thinking? Did he actually think his car could "take" a Jaaaaaag? I had no choice but respond. Well, I gave it some serious wellie. I floored it. I was absorbed into the back of the seat as the G force grew exponentially. I was doing 150 within about 5 seconds. He never even got his front bumper out in front of mine. I left his rusting Ford or Toyota, or whatever it was, inhaling my exhaust. It felt so goooooooooooooood. I've never had a car as powerful as my XJ8. I laughed out loud. I must try to restrain myself in future...with great power comes great responsibility.

*smile*

The following users liked this post:
nilanium (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

Huh, makes me wonder if it's my code reader that's causing my isolated p1797 code... Whenever I plug my code reader in, the tacho drops to 0 and I get trac fail, both for about a second, before things return to normal. I'll have to get one of those elm137 bluetooth things and see if there's any different results.

The x308's are definitely an easy way to lose your license, you won't realize how fast you're going until you look down at the speedo.