XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1997 xjr transmission conversion questions/help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 xjr transmission conversion questions/help

ok so heres the deal, if my car doesnt sell soon i want to swap in a different trans. id like to do a 5 or 6 speed manual trans swap. i dont want to buy a swap thats 5k. or mayb get the 5 speed auto out of a 98 n up xj. anyone done it cheaply or know what belhousing flywheel clutch speedo gearing i can use i can figure out drive shaft, pedal and most other stuff thanks im tryn to use a chevy manual trans or ?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:43 PM
JWT
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Being a 1997 XJR, am I correct in assuming it has a 6 cylinder engine and fitted with a GM 480-E Transmission ( 4 speed)? I am only a DIY hack, but I would expect that you would have a hard time with the engine and transmission modules working together properly if you throw in a different transmission. I recently put a replacement W5A 580 Mercedes transmission in my 98 XJR, but that is the specification. I made sure it was from a Jaguar. Unless you have someone who can help you with the computer issues that will likely arise by putting in a non stock unit, you may be in for a difficult time.

If your transmission is done, why not find a stock replacement... or do you just want a manual shift unit?

I noticed you had no replies, so thought I would give you my opinion for what it is worth. Not meaning to rain on the parade, but it appears to be far from simple to modify or change from stock components in these cars. If you check the recent threads on differential swaps, it appears those are trouble as well, with the computer picking up unexpected ratio/speed results and subsequently throwing codes. In the old days, before electronic control of virtually everything, you could fabricate a fit that would probably work. Now there needs to be communication between components that sync properly.

On one of the posts about differentials, I read that the transmissions in the 308 cars could not be re-programmed to accept the new ratio from a different differential. It appears that the wheel sensors have a part to play by reporting expected speeds, so the car knows there is something amiss... and does not like it. If you can find someone to provide an all clear signal from the replacement unit to your existing control modules, maybe it can be done, but I highly doubt that it will be an easy transition. If you found a solution for that, you would just be left with the mechanical fabrication, which would not likely be a cake walk either.

Sounds like an interesting puzzle to work out... well beyond my scope. Maybe Avos can help you. His car seems far from stock!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i assumed that it would be a hassle to do any mods. it was worth a shot. mt trans is fine i just wanted to change it up and mayb make it a little quicker and a trans would make a big difference. thanks for the imput though

Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

the X300 XJR was offered with a manual transmission in some european countries, if you could find all of the needed parts from a junkyard and get them shipped it could all work out