XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No luck on getting any codes no check engine light. So yesterday I started car got it to idel right away still rough but seem better I even thought the rich gas order from exhaust was better. (car is driving me crazy) i unplugged one coil pack at a time and care did not ideal any better with any pack unplugged. So the packs are good. Have noticed loud noise that seems to come and go from top front of engine just under valve covers can't tell if it was one side or other. Its not the fast ticking from valves. I know one problem at a time.
So does any one think it could be bad fuel? If it is would bad fuel have a code? Car has been setting I think 3 weeks now I've only started and ideled it not driven.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 896 Likes on 734 Posts

Let me suggest you go back over the work you have done. Retrace each step: you removed the air tube from the air cleaner; is the fitting air tight? You would have removed the MAF socket; check for bent prongs which would send misinformation or none at all to the ECU; is the MAF sensor clean? Is the air filter clean? Is the throttle bore and plate clean (do this carefully with the correct cleaner). The gaskets on the cam cover are installed correctly? No crimping? Did you pull the plug from the cylinder that was bad and check it for fouling; correct ignition; wet with oil or fuel? Check vacuum lines to the throttle body, at twenty years they dry out, break and crumple.

Maybe a new fuel filter? Quite likely the valves are carboned up and the car needs a good run.

What is the status of the secondary tensioners? Metal third generation or earlier plastic? Which bank are you hearing noise? Does the OBD code reader you used have the ability to read the long term fuel trims; if so, what are they at idle? No reader? Then head down to your neighborhood parts store and get the codes read.

How does it run on the road?

Last edited by Jhartz; 03-17-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Jim. I that should keep me busy. I'm going to take yr advice check everything over just to make sure. Ive been very careful not to get my self into a hurry I'm not formiluar with jags at all. Thanks
Richard Ortiz.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 896 Likes on 734 Posts

Another thought: pull off the coil pack on the plug that was fouled, clean its electrical connection. Might be just a bad connection. Couple of years ago, on the XK8 forum (also a great source of info on these motors since so much is the same as the sedans), a guy had an issue: looked like jumped timing (the concern over the plastic secondary tensioners -- which may still be your problem!); nope, dirty connections between the plugs and coils.

By now you have probably figured out it is best to leave those plastic covers to the coils and plugs off both banks until you get it sorted. A handheld electric screwdriver with the right sized 1/4inch socket (8mm I think) makes the job go faster.

Last edited by Jhartz; 03-23-2018 at 11:15 AM.