XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998 XJ8 Loses Power while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 XJ8 Loses Power while driving

Greetings,

First, I have seen other threads on this issue but none that I saw are exactly like mine.

The XJ loses power, sometimes, while I'm driving. Today, I paid more attention and noticed some things. First, I noticed that it happened as I was going down hill. I noticed that when the car started slowing down while going down hill, as Jags do, I pressed the gas and then the engine stalled and I got an error message that read Engine Stall and the Check Engine light came on and THE GAS LIGHT LIT UP but I had a quarter tank of gas. I pulled over, turned it off and restarted it, and the Gas Light was off. I then turned on cruise control and drove with cruise on, for the next half hour, until I got to work. Coming home, I had no issues. I drove some of the time with cruise on and so with cruise off BUT, at every hill, I didn't press the gas and I didn't have any issues. I think the Gas Light is some sort of indicator of the problem, not sure though. I hope this sounds familiar to someone and I hope someone is able to help. I am hoping it's a simple fix. Any help is appreciate. Thank you very much.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Received 283 Likes on 176 Posts

I think your car is starving for fuel. The gauge might not be accurate (stuck floater?). I would check everything in the fuel delivery system (fuel pressure at the rail while the car is stationary on the steep downhill, fuel filter, fuel pump.....).
Try to park it on the downhill, and hit the gas while the car is not moving.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danielsand
I think your car is starving for fuel. The gauge might not be accurate (stuck floater?). I would check everything in the fuel delivery system (fuel pressure at the rail while the car is stationary on the steep downhill, fuel filter, fuel pump.....).
Try to park it on the downhill, and hit the gas while the car is not moving.

Let us know what you find out.

I appreciate this. I need to ask for more guidance. I have had my Jag for 3 years and always took it to a local European shop, that was up the street from where I lived. They are now closed, so I can't take it up there anymore. I say this to say that I haven't had to do very much, personally, to the Jag, so I am not familiar with what to look for and where to look. Can you give some direction on that? I appreciate your help. FYI, on the way home, I drove it until it was almost out of gas, below the red line, to try and burn any garbage, if that's possible. I say that to say that I don't think the floater is stuck, unless it's showing that it has less than it actually does.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Received 283 Likes on 176 Posts

Well,....there is a valve on the fuel rail where you can connect the pressure gauge, and verify 40PSI pressure. If that pressure is constant, your fuel delivery system is ok. You will need to replicate the conditions of the road for any testing. The car has to be on the downhill, in order to repeat the problem in the controled environment.

Before all this, I would go on Ebay and buy the best OBD scanner I can afford. CEL left some codes I am sure. So get those codes, post them here, and we have people here that will tell you what is wrong.

It can be either fuel delivery, or electrical (sensors and such). It would help to know the mileage, fuel brand, service history etc.

I didn't understand one of your statements though,...."going downhill, the car slowed down as the Jags do, and I hit the gas..."

My car does not slow down on the downhill, just the opposite! If you were on the cruise control at the time (you didn't say it), that I would understand. And IF the car stalls after going off of the cruise by the acceleration,......it's a whole different story.

But get those codes first, and let us know what they are.