XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998 xj8 low compression

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 xj8 low compression

Hi I'm new here on the forum.....I have a jaguar that I started having trouble with about a month ago. It was working fine and then out of the blue the lights would come on when trying to start but no crank I would then go back to trunk move the battery and the cables and it would crank right up also sometimes I would try to start and nothing no lights would come on its like it was dead.....I would then go back totrunk move battery and cables around and ligths would come on then it would crank right up.....but last week I tried to start the car and light would come on but car was dead no crank nothing dead.....move cables around and nothing lights come on but car dead. I finally took it to a shop that does electrical issues and nothing the tech tried to run codes but no codes pop up.....he said he tested all electrical issues that he thinks could be the culprit and everything tested fine.....he is now telling me it could be timing is out whack cause now it tries to crank up to no avail....I took it to another shop which now they r telling me motor has low compresion.....I don't have any idea what the numbers were.....can this be the issue and if this is the culprit my buddy told me the motor is dead...what test can I run to verify this..that last mechanic was a little of an *** he said he didn't have the time to really diagnose and try to really get to the problem....I have a mobile guy coming to check it tomorrow....I will post his diagnosis and what he says.....my question could the first issue (dead on start but lights come on) lead to motor being shot....I am not mechanical incline and need advice thanks.....

Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Do a search on here for "cylinder wash" or "bore wash". All this starting and stopping may have caused this. It will cause low compression readings across the board. Putting a SMALL amount of oil in each cylinder will get the car going. There's a bit more to it, but do your research.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avt007
Do a search on here for "cylinder wash" or "bore wash". All this starting and stopping may have caused this. It will cause low compression readings across the board. Putting a SMALL amount of oil in each cylinder will get the car going. There's a bit more to it, but do your research.
Thanks bud I will try it and get back to posting results

Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

First verify you have a fully charged battery. The electronics will fail if the starter draws the battery voltage below 10v during starting efforts.

There is also a common problem of a failure of both the ground strap from the battery to the frame and of the positive cable to the maxi fuse connections.

Then you may have the 'cylinder wash' loss of compression issue. Do a search.

Have your battery tested.

Check battery to frame/fuse block connections.

Search the forum for loss of compression starting procedures. About a trillion dollars have been spent on this issue needlessly.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 1998 xj8 no start

Assuming that the car still won't start, and that you took it to the mechanic/electrician on a flatbed, you have definitely got a problem with the electrical cabling to the starter, or maybe a flat battery.
Check battery voltage with an accurate meter, should be better than 12.2volts;
if not, put it on charge.
Check the integrity of the earth lead from the battery, they are known to disintegrate.
Clean battery posts and terminals.
Check integrity and clean connections of earth lead from motor to chassis; underneath on passenger side .
Check condition of connector on false baulkhead; passenger side, has rubber boot over it.
Then check voltage at starter, should be very close to battery voltage.
That should keep you occupied for a while
good luck
Pete